Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting in a Bar - Need Some Help.

Options
  • 07-06-2014 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Having a bit of an issue with Calrsberg in the bar I've started in. I seem to always get too much head on the pint I've pulled. The tap they have on the bar has a regulator on the front and I think I might need to reset that. Have you guys got any tips? Is it better for a slow or faster flow?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 righteo

slow flow tilt the glass if the heads too small after filling push back on the handle and give it a dart of gas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

righteo wrote: »
    slow flow tilt the glass if the heads too small after filling push back on the handle and give it a dart of gas

If you're getting a massive head on the pint with slow flow what should you look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

Pull the tap before putting glass under it?

gufc21 wrote: »
    Pull the tap before putting glass under it?

Will give that a shot. Cheers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    If you're getting a massive head on the pint with slow flow what should you look at?

Are you pulling the tap down quickly or slowly? If you do it slowly you'll get a lot more gas released into it.

Also if you have one of those Heineken water sprayer thingies you can give the glass a quick blast of water and you'll get less head.

It also might be an issue with the line itself, could be too much gas going into it/the beer is too warm.

• Advertisement

irish_goat wrote: »
    Are you pulling the tap down quickly or slowly? If you do it slowly you'll get a lot more gas released into it.

Also if you have one of those Heineken water sprayer thingies you can give the glass a quick blast of water and you'll get less head.

It also might be an issue with the line itself, could be too much gas going into it/the beer is too warm.

Nope. No fancy water sprayer. It's a pretty small bar. Just Carlsberg and Guinness on tap. Guinness is fine. Very easy to pull.

I think you might be right about how quickly I'm pulling the tap. Also have a habit of not pulling the tap down fully sometimes which wouldn't help. The kegs are in a refrigerated unit so I don't think it's down to them being too warm.

Do you know anything about that regulator on the tap? How open should that be?

If a tap is pouring high I would tend to turn it completely off and then slowly turn it back on until it's pouring with an acceptable amount of head.

Definitely get the handle down quickly and the entire way, if you have it half way the beer gets agitated on the way out and gives more foam.

You could also get the Diageo technician to have a look at it as it might be an equipment issue.

If a tap is pouring high I would tend to turn it completely off and then slowly turn it back on until it's pouring with an acceptable amount of head.

Definitely get the handle down quickly and the entire way, if you have it half way the beer gets agitated on the way out and gives more foam.

You could also get the Diageo technician to have a look at it as it might be an equipment issue.

If you turn it down so it's nearly completely off will that give you a pint with little to no head?

I'm going to get in contact with the manager and see if the other staff are having an issue. It mightn't just be an issue for me.

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    If you turn it down so it's nearly completely off will that give you a pint with little to no head?

I'm going to get in contact with the manager and see if the other staff are having an issue. It mightn't just be an issue for me.

Yeah, if it's flowing out at a very slow rate you'll get very little head (assuming the equipment is all in order).

Also try holding the glass against the tap while filling and see if that helps.

Yeah, if it's flowing out at a very slow rate you'll get very little head (assuming the equipment is all in order).

Also try holding the glass against the tap while filling and see if that helps.

Thanks for the help. Another few nights under my belt and I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Carlsberg has a tendency in most bars to produce too much head for new bartenders. It's a very tempermental beer to pull. It is literally just a case of getting used to it.

The gas regulator is easy enough to use. Right to close and left to open. Closing allows less gas, opening more. But, I advise you not to fcuk with it if you have never done it before, it'll piss off whoever has it set to where they like it.

The official line is don't touch the glass with the spout.... but if you gotta do it, you gotta do it.

Carlsberg has a tendency in most bars to produce too much head for new bartenders. It's a very tempermental beer to pull. It is literally just a case of getting used to it.

The gas regulator is easy enough to use. Right to close and left to open. Closing allows less gas, opening more. But, I advise you not to fcuk with it if you have never done it before, it'll piss off whoever has it set to where they like it.

The official line is don't touch the glass with the spout.... but if you gotta do it, you gotta do it.

Thanks.

Yeah, when I was shadowing for my first night I was told to adjust the tap regulator to get it to a position that I found comfortable. Don't think there's too much of an issue with the bar tender on duty adjusting it to their liking.

Any other tips for pouring it or is it just a case of getting the positioning of the glass right?

Advertisement