Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice sought on leaving stressful job

Options
  • 07-06-2014 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'd rather go unregistered for this one in order to minimize the risk of being identified. I will cut a long story as short as possible but will provide further detail if needed.

I'm in my mid 30's and have worked in the financial services sector for over 10 years and with the current company I'm in for the last 7 years.

The nature of the work has always being pretty demanding and stressful. Everything is driven by deadlines and a much of the time you are very much depending on others to ensure you meet these deadlines...sometimes others are helpful in assisting you meet these deadlines, other times not so much so....but I appreciate in many instances they are struggling with heavy workloads too. Although the company sells themselves on being client focused and not all about volume I can see that its anything but so in recent times..... Very much about volume and akin to a production line.

My own job role has changed in recent months and I have come to the point where I just cant hack the stress and workload anymore. Working up to 70 hours a week and feel burnt out from it.

I am not one for throwing in the towel but have come to the point where I just have to pack it in and move on...for the sake of my own health and sanity. Its a job I now cant see myself doing in 2 years time never mind 5 years time as I could see myself having a mental breakdown eventually.

Just wondering what my options are regarding finishing up. Can I just hand in my notice and leave or if I do that will I get any social welfare until I get another job. Lots of people telling me to go on the sick and leave due to stress to guarantee I will receive my social welfare benefits...i.e. go on the sick. Reason being is that I will not be able to draw on my stamps if I walk out of a job of my own free will, my employment not being terminated or not being made redundant.

On the other hand others are telling me its not the best idea to leave the job under these circumstances as I will need to be continuously assessed for stress etc. and wont look well if applying for a new job. Also don't want to do myself out of a reference so would ideally rather work out my notice period if possible to ensure I do get a reference.

As usual with these thing when people are advising you everybody is right in their own mind. As such not really sure what way to go so if people could advise me in a constructive manner I would be most appreciative.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,514 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'd have thought Stress was an occupational hazard in your line f work. Do companies recognise this and have any systems in place to deal with it ??

I don't think you should dismiss the notion of availing of sick leave. In reality it's what it's there for and people genuinely suffering shouldn't hesitate using it. Maybe some life coaching during time off would help focus your mind and reinvigorate you. I'd certainly give it a try before leaving myself out of work with no SW payment due for 9 weeks after walking out of your job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Imo the best thing to do is take some sick leave and look to get some counselling in as well.
    Make sure youe sick cert mentions work related stress, it may get the company to engage with you. Best of luck

Doom wrote: »
    Imo the best thing to do is take some sick leave and look to get some counselling in as well.
    Make sure youe sick cert mentions work related stress, it may get the company to engage with you. Best of luck

I agree. This is the first option you should use - not consider, USE. You're only a number at the end of the day and have to put yoursel first. No job is worth what you are going through.
    You should be also looking round for a more suitable position, even if it means less money. Money isn't everything if you are not happy and healthy. You need to get the balance right. Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Your employers are obliged under Employment Law to provide a safe place in which to work.

Put yourself first. Talk to your GP Ensure that your sick cert indicates Work Related Stress.

Take as much leave as determined by your Medical Advisors.

This action should bring matters to a head, either the Company will send you to their Doctor for assessment or refer you to their Employee Assistance Programme for Counselling.

Remember you have done nothing wrong here! Hopefully the Company will provide the necessary support to initially get you back on a phased basis and will work with you in identifying the issues causing you stress.

Enjoy your sick leave, give yourself time for body and mind to recharge.

Best wishes

• Registered Users Posts: 25,755 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just wondering what my options are regarding finishing up. Can I just hand in my notice and leave or if I do that will I get any social welfare until I get another job. Lots of people telling me to go on the sick and leave due to stress to guarantee I will receive my social welfare benefits...i.e. go on the sick. Reason being is that I will not be able to draw on my stamps if I walk out of a job of my own free will, my employment not being terminated or not being made redundant.

On the other hand others are telling me its not the best idea to leave the job under these circumstances as I will need to be continuously assessed for stress etc. and wont look well if applying for a new job. Also don't want to do myself out of a reference so would ideally rather work out my notice period if possible to ensure I do get a reference.

If you leave voluntarily, then you will have a 9 week stand-down before you are eligible for job-seekers benefit.

Depending on your financial committments and savings, it may well be worth resigning and taking time to restore yourself before finding a new job.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Why resign, go out on sick leave. .look for jobs while out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Doom wrote: »
    Why resign, go out on sick leave. .look for jobs while out.

The only down side of this is that your new employer will most likely contact your old employer for a reference. One of the questions which tends to be asked is whether the applicant missed a lot of time off work. If you are applying for a job in the same sector, which would appear to be inherently stressful on some level , well you can see the issue your new employer may have, they may be concerned that you may not be able to handle the stress there either. If you are looking for a different line if work, this may not be as much of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭BnB

I would very very strongly advise you against going down the stress leave route.

If a potential employer was to find out about it, it would almost completely rule you out. You have to look at it from an employers point of view. They have a candidate who is looking for a job who seems to have all the right skills - And then they find out that he is currently out on stress leave from his current job.

I know you might be anxious to move on, but I would advise you to get the wheels in motion while you still have your job. Get your CV done up and start applying for jobs. When you get an interview, then just take a days holidays for them or even call in sick for a day if you have to. If you get the job, then you can hand in your notice. Most employers would expect that you will have to work out your notice in your old job before starting a new one.

The other thing to consider is maybe talk to your current employer. If you are going leaving anyway, then surely there is no harm in sitting down talking to them to see if there is something you work out between you. Maybe there isn't, but you'd never know. You would be surprised that sometimes they don't realise how bad things are. I know that we had an employee who left us who told us when they handed in their notice how unhappy they were. Maybe we should have been aware of it and we have to learn from that, but if they had come and talked to us, we would have worked hard to do something to help them because we did really value them.

BnB wrote: »
    I would very very strongly advise you against going down the stress leave route.

If a potential employer was to find out about it, it would almost completely rule you out. You have to look at it from an employers point of view. They have a candidate who is looking for a job who seems to have all the right skills - And then they find out that he is currently out on stress leave from his current job.

I know you might be anxious to move on, but I would advise you to get the wheels in motion while you still have your job. Get your CV done up and start applying for jobs. When you get an interview, then just take a days holidays for them or even call in sick for a day if you have to. If you get the job, then you can hand in your notice. Most employers would expect that you will have to work out your notice in your old job before starting a new one.

The other thing to consider is maybe talk to your current employer. If you are going leaving anyway, then surely there is no harm in sitting down talking to them to see if there is something you work out between you. Maybe there isn't, but you'd never know. You would be surprised that sometimes they don't realise how bad things are. I know that we had an employee who left us who told us when they handed in their notice how unhappy they were. Maybe we should have been aware of it and we have to learn from that, but if they had come and talked to us, we would have worked hard to do something to help them because we did really value them.

Some interesting comments.

In relation to your valued employee who left because they were unhappy, how come this issue did not surface earlier?
    Do you have a performance appraisal system,an Employee Assistance Programme, was there a communication problem?
    What were the issues causing the employee's unhappiness, reward , lack of promotion , overworked, underutilised, personality clash with team or superiors ?
    Sure no one likes to lose a valued employee, sometimes it may be inevitable, where someone wishes to move abroad to broaden their horizons
    What realistically could have been done to retain this valued employee?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭sparkynash

You work up to 70 hrs per week...leave it now before it kills you and ruins your life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭BnB

I don't want to hijack the OP's thread but just to answer your queries...
    In relation to your valued employee who left because they were unhappy, how come this issue did not surface earlier?

Lack of communication between us & them.
    What were the issues causing the employee's unhappiness, reward , lack of promotion , overworked, underutilised, personality clash with team or superiors ?

I would say - Money - & How the job was affecting their personal life. i.e. They were travelling constantly and staying in hotels a few nights a week.

We could have offered them more money. But I think it may have been only a sticking plaster. We could have worked with them to restructure their job so that they spent more time in the one place close to where they lived. (i.e. On a contract for 2 or 3 days a week with the same client). May not have worked out, but we would certainly have worked hard to try and do it for them

The big thing we have learnt is to keep the lines of communication open with key employees.

BnB wrote: »
    I don't want to hijack the OP's thread but just to answer your queries...

Lack of communication between us & them.

I would say - Money - & How the job was affecting their personal life. i.e. They were travelling constantly and staying in hotels a few nights a week.

We could have offered them more money. But I think it may have been only a sticking plaster. We could have worked with them to restructure their job so that they spent more time in the one place close to where they lived. (i.e. On a contract for 2 or 3 days a week with the same client). May not have worked out, but we would certainly have worked hard to try and do it for them

The big thing we have learnt is to keep the lines of communication open with key employees.

Well done! No I don't think we have hijacked the thread. There is a worthwhile lesson here. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

70 hours a week is way too much and unsustainable. I'd try and get that reduced and then you might be able to have a bit of breathing space.
    And talk to your GP , they can be great help in these situations.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Some interesting comments.

Do you have a performance appraisal system,an Employee Assistance Programme, was there a communication problem?
    Sure no one likes to lose a valued employee, sometimes it may be inevitable, where someone wishes to move abroad to broaden their horizons

I have recently resigned from a role for the same reasons.

In answer to your questions:

1. I was very isolated, rarely in the office to interact with colleagues
    2. No EAP, no performance appraisal, lack of recognition of the value of the individual employee, no communication from management. ( plenty of hand wringing when I quit though!)
    3. Issues, lack of progression opportunities, poor pay, overworked, and failure of the company to address core issues in day to day running of the company, constant travel due to failure to recognise that those without children can actually have a life/hobbies, but do not take precedence to those with children (and I'm female)

Stheno wrote: »
    I have recently resigned from a role for the same reasons.

In answer to your questions:

1. I was very isolated, rarely in the office to interact with colleagues
    2. No EAP, no performance appraisal, lack of recognition of the value of the individual employee, no communication from management. ( plenty of hand wringing when I quit though!)
    3. Issues, lack of progression opportunities, poor pay, overworked, and failure of the company to address core issues in day to day running of the company, constant travel due to failure to recognise that those without children can actually have a life/hobbies, but do not take precedence to those with children (and I'm female)

Sorry to read of your experiences Stehno

Your experiences are not unlike the day to day issues experienced by many workers in organisations across Ireland .

Proper preparation prevents piss pot poor performance!

Sadly many organisations suffer from poor management.

Communication is in one direction only.
    Managers do not wish to hear 'negative ' comments from staff even though if the constructive comments were acted upon they could help in addressing core issues and ultimately contribute to the Company's bottom line.

Too much time is spent by Managers trying to impress the people above them, therefore they ignore the bigger picture painted by their subordinates.
    Managers need to cut out the corporate speak and listen

As for the hand wringing and valued employee bull**** they trot out, employees can see through the smoke screen. The reality is they do not value long serving staff members, they are seen as an expense, and a threat to an inept Managers comfortable seat.

d

Advertisement