Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wine for Girlfriend's parents

Options
  • 07-06-2014 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I'm going to meet the OH's parents for the first time next weekend, and need to bring a bottle of wine.

She's told me that they like Pinot Grichio(sp?).

Is this wine available in any off-licence/supermarket, or only certain ones!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Hi

I'm going to meet the OH's parents for the first time next weekend, and need to bring a bottle of wine.

She's told me that they like Pinot Grichio(sp?).

Is this wine available in any off-licence/supermarket, or only certain ones!?

Pinot Grigio is widely available but usually pretty awful. The wine industry in Ireland and the UK doesn't take it very seriously which is a pity. Try an independent wine shop where they bring it in directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Pinot Grigio is widely available but usually pretty awful. The wine industry in Ireland and the UK doesn't take it very seriously which is a pity. Try an independent wine shop where they bring it in directly.

This is the wine that she's told me her parents like lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Pinot grigio is a grape variety. It became popular among girls who watched too much of the OC. It can be good, you just need to make sure it's from one of the better regions/countries. The north-easternmost parts of Italy (Veneto, north of Venice, the Alpine foothills) make the better stuff. But this article suggests the New Zealand pinot grigios can be among the best you can get at affordable prices. Given that New Zealand make among the best pinot noir wine outside France and incredible sauvignon blancs, this could be worth a shot, especially given that pinot grigio is considered a dry wine, and the NZ version can be a bit fuller and fruitier. If your OH's parents like dry wines, REALLY DRY, they could try Argentinian torrontés, often called 'liar's wine' because it smells so fruity but it'll rip the tongue off you it's so dry (but that works well with slithery, buttery fish dishes)! So, I guess I'm saying, maybe some Argentinian pinot grigios from Mendoza could work well.

sarkozy wrote: »
    Pinot grigio is a grape variety. It became popular among girls who watched too much of the OC. It can be good, you just need to make sure it's from one of the better regions/countries. The north-easternmost parts of Italy (Veneto, north of Venice, the Alpine foothills) make the better stuff. But this article suggests the New Zealand pinot grigios can be among the best you can get at affordable prices. Given that New Zealand make among the best pinot noir wine outside France and incredible sauvignon blancs, this could be worth a shot, especially given that pinot grigio is considered a dry wine, and the NZ version can be a bit fuller and fruitier. If your OH's parents like dry wines, REALLY DRY, they could try Argentinian torrontés, often called 'liar's wine' because it smells so fruity but it'll rip the tongue off you it's so dry (but that works well with slithery, buttery fish dishes)! So, I guess I'm saying, maybe some Argentinian pinot grigios from Mendoza could work well.

She said to go with the French one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

While not a Pinot Grigio the Louis Latour white wine is very delicious and reckon it would do the job.

Melendez wrote: »
    Pinot Grigio is known as Pinot Gris in France. There are some superb ones from Alsace, but as Slaphead said, you are unlikely to get them in a supermarket.

Found loads of them in my local off-licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Elektronske

Vodka - Prost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Vodka - Prost
    I think you mean "zdorov'ye".
    The OP is looking for wine, not vodka.

tHB

• Advertisement

Melendez wrote: »
    Pinot Gris from Alsace? Your local off-licence is an exception.

Not sure exactly what part, but it was French!?

Got the Italian one!!

Advertisement