Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swallows feding

Options
  • 07-06-2014 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi,
    my dog (a rough collie) would happily spend the whole day chasing the swallows as they dart and swoop about feedindg. He will never catch one thankfully, but he gets endless enjoyment chaseing them. I take him to Memorial park in Kilmainam and all the ingredientsw for a good chase are there, the Liffey, flies and swallows. Does anyone else know of anywhere else where they have seen Swallowas congregate for mass feeding, like the place I mentioned, on Dublin Southside ideally. i went to one other place in finglas, and it is a park with a river as well.
    TIA John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Swallows often congregate in large numbers to feed on available hatches of flies. Are you just looking for somewhere so the dog can chase after them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Perhaps throw a ball for the dog, rather than stressing/harnessing swallows who would be trying to feed chicks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

WALKER34 - think about what you're actually asking here - you're asking for suggestions for a place where there are lots of wild birds so that you can get your dog to chase after them. Your dog might be having the time of his life but it's a lot less fun for the Swallows, and while he hasn't caught one yet the more you do it the more likely it is to happen.

What you're doing is a bad idea and is just plain wrong. Like Capercaille said - get a ball or a frisby for the dog - or basically just do absolutely anything except what you outlined above!

Thread Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement