Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby/Female Blackbird

Options
  • 07-06-2014 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping someone can put forward some kind of response to this.
    There is either a young BB or maybe a young f BB in my back garden. Every day she is constantly chirping. Not the regular song, but the alarm one. She stands on the same tree bouncing from branch to branch. I got close to her today and it looks like she's got a worm hanging from the end of her beak. It's been like that ages now. It seems to be closed tight at the tip. You can see a gap at the back of the beak that allows her to breath and chirp. It sounds so distressing. She's calling all day long. Is there anything that I can do? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Beak brown = baby , yellow= adult , i guess it is adult calling to new baby after leaving nest , and the baby is gone missing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

thank you - i'll check her tomorrow. shes gone for the night now. It's just worrying me that her beak is shut at the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Only male blackbirds have a bright yellow beak. Female's beak is a yellowish brown. The female is told from a juvenile by her more uniform brown plumage compared to a mottled juvenile.

Is this bird in the same position for hours on end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Only male blackbirds have a bright yellow beak. Female's beak is a yellowish brown. The female is told from a juvenile by her more uniform brown plumage compared to a mottled juvenile.

Is this bird in the same position for hours on end?

<Personal abuse edited out>

There are both yellow....

Relax, I was just pointing out how different the yellow beaks are between male and female. Indeed it is more accurate to say the male's is orange-yellow and the female's brownish- yellow.

OP, is this bird still in the same place this morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Personal abuse is not tolerated in this forum. One week ban from the forum for Cork Boy55

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Hi

She always comes back in the evenings to the same branch. She's here again now, and she'll continue to call incessantly for hours again.

If she comes and goes and just has a routine of calling from that branch in the evenings, I wouldn't be at all concerned.

Advertisement