Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Electric Supply Companies know how much electricity you use without a meter?

Options
  • 07-06-2014 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Obviously you have a meter and every 2 months the ESB man reads the meter and submits the readings. What I am curious about (would really appreciate if someone who worked for ESB could answer, with real knowledge, no guesses, would answer; however, I'll be grateful for educated guesses also) is whether the ESB has some nodes and screens to observe the consumption of electricity.

As in they could monitor a block, or a street. So in the long run all the meters from the monitored area have to correspond the their meter on the other side.

Thanks,
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Lines are metered at the various substations they pass through I.E the outgoing supply from a 38KV substation to a 10/20KV substation will be metered and so on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Without the meter in the house, there is no way to see a house usage. They can use historical usage to estimate a persons bill, correcting it when actual readings are taken.

There are meters further up the supply line, at 38kv stations for example, which give power usage of thousands of houses and other users, but it is not used to verify the sum of all the meters, but more to monitor the demand requirements of the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭hajjid

Thanks, Bruthal! Very educational.

bassey wrote: »
    Lines are metered at the various substations they pass through I.E the outgoing supply from a 38KV substation to a 10/20KV substation will be metered and so on

Thanks for the answer, but it's still unclear to me if yes or no :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Is someone planning a grow house ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

hexosan wrote: »

I think most of the growhouse idiots bypass the meter completely

hexosan wrote: »
    No.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There are a number of reasons that can trigger an investigation by ESB Networks in to meter tampering, this would include suspicious meter readings or a sudden reduction in meter readings.

From ESB Networks:
    Meter interference is easily detected and we have a team dedicated to identifying those involved. It is our policy to take criminal proceedings against such people.

See link.

I think that this thread has run it's course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement