Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of running track

Options
  • 07-06-2014 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭

Hi. Any idea where I could get an approximate costing for putting a small running track and a long jump pit into a school grounds ? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Celbridge have a running strip,,donore have a 300 MTR track and Le Cheile spent 900,000 big ones on their track

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Looks like a small track would be way out of our league :( Any ideas on what type of surface might be a good substitute ? Very small school & small grounds but kids training regularly and teachers putting in the time with them after school. On a mix of grass & Tarmac now but a dedicated route would be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

We had a lovely all weather "track" around the local pond. It has just been resurfaced with chip and tar over rolled 804 gravel and now it's not so nice to run on. It was loose gravel on a raised base to allow water to drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭frankeee

kit3 wrote: »
    Looks like a small track would be way out of our league :( Any ideas on what type of surface might be a good substitute ? Very small school & small grounds but kids training regularly and teachers putting in the time with them after school. On a mix of grass & Tarmac now but a dedicated route would be good.

If you have grass get the dimensions of a 400m track and mark it out with lime, you can use rope, set at the required radius to do the bends accurately. Then make it more permanent by going over it with weed killer to burn the outline.
    Ok its not perfect but at the local school where I saw this being done I know of two Olympians who used to use it for at least some of their sessions.

• Advertisement

frankeee wrote: »
    If you have grass get the dimensions of a 400m track and mark it out with lime, you can use rope, set at the required radius to do the bends accurately. Then make it more permanent by going over it with weed killer to burn the outline.
    Ok its not perfect but at the local school where I saw this being done I know of two Olympians who used to use it for at least some of their sessions.

Sounds like a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭rom

Sounds like a good idea

If the best athletes in the world are going to Kenya to train on dirt roads there is no reason to do overkill. A field that drains well from the rain is all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jonny99

The pit would be easy, and inexpensive.You'd wanna check with Allianz first though,they'd have a rep who would tell you fairly quickly whether its allowable or not.Of course, this time of year, a good lawnmower'll cut out a track for ya :)

Thanks for all the replies. School on a small site - bit of grass & then some tarmac. Doing ok as it is. Looking at the cost think we'll have to improvise. Never thought of the insurance aspect of the pit :o but will check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If you have a small school and small grounds I'd imagine having adequate play space would be more important. When you say small I presume you are talking about under 150 pupils. If so hard to justify installing a dedicated running track.

A good thing would be to provide a surface that the kids can play and run on every day of the year. I have seen a few schools with all weather type surface. A great idea as kids can play on it anytime of the year and don't get dirty nor hurt when they would fall.

Any job will require a good bit of cash as you know but if doing something all of the community should be able to get some valuable use out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭ChickenTikka

Hi. Any idea where I could get an approximate costing for putting a small running track and a long jump pit into a school grounds ? Thanks

We used http://www.mcsweeneysportssurfaces.ie/ 6 or 7 years ago to put down a long jump runway. Worked out around 3k for the surface and we did the rest ourselves (pit + take off board + concrete either side of runway). Happy enough with it, wears a little as its softer than tartan but we use it a lot so its easy on kids legs.

Am looking into following at the mo for different area as we want to put down some tartan on an area that we may have to move elsewhere in the future. So the idea of tiles that can be taken up and moved appeals to us: http://www.crumbrubber.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

Think lotto grants too, 50% funding available plus 13% if you are in a deprived area.

A combo with a local AC could help with putting funds together for something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

rom wrote: »
    If the best athletes in the world are going to Kenya to train on dirt roads there is no reason to do overkill. A field that drains well from the rain is all you need.

In fairness they don't go to Kenya for the conditions of the running surface! I used to run in Kenya and while a lot of training was done on roads it was mostly just for a change of scenery or if you wanted to run high altitude where there isn't anywhere to run track every meet I ran was held at locations that had reasonably good facilities.

Advertisement