Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protective case options for Samsung s5 owners?

Options
  • 07-06-2014 4:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

hello,

I'm getting an s5 next week and I'm just wondering what are the best options case wise to keep our s5's safe should they fall?

what cases do you folks have if any?
    I'm not sure which kind to go for as there seems to be a lot to choose from.
    Ideally I'd like to get a case and some kind of screen protection to make sure or both in one maybe.

I'm torn between going for the safest case (bulkiest?) or going for one which wont take much away from the phones look and feel. My brother had an s4 and it cost him a lot when the phone had a tiny fall and the screen cracked.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

The otterbox commuter is tidy enough but other otterboxes like the defender are more bulky and simple things like taking the phone out of your pocket will prove awkward.
    Those slim hard plastic cases do nearly nothing for phones other than protect from small scratches.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭daviddunne1992

me and the brother are getting an s5 to so i'll keep an eye on this for peoples opinions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 IhateScalpers

have ya narrowed it down much at all yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Got one of these for mine and am happy with it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JDJLMJM/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Over the last few years I've gotten a cover like this for my phones. I think they look nice. I know some people don't and that's fine.
    I can testify that they'll protect the phone on a drop of a couple of feet onto concrete or tarmac. I generally get to test this once or twice a year by accident. I imagine I've been lucky though.

My worst "tests" were
    - my phone fell out of my hand as I was getting out of a car and slid a few feet on its back.
    - I managed to drop my phone last year when taking it out of my pocket. It fell from waist height onto concrete.

In both those, the case "like the one I linked above" got scratched but the phone was perfect. Without the case the phones would have been marked / damaged.

I normally sell my phone on each year and they're always sold in perfect condition.

I don't bother with a screen protector. My phone is always in a pocket without keys or coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭GIMP

Agree I have one on my S4 and it has saved my phone from a few hard drops including one onto escalator metal steps,got mine on eBay for less than €3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 IhateScalpers

thanks for all your opinions folks, i'll look up those links/info.
    but wow that's really positive feedback for roughly a €3 case!

I'm going to get a case sorted before I even open the box so I can keep it looking in good as new shape.

have ya narrowed it down much at all yourself?
    If youd call choosing between 6 being narrowed down then yes I do :P
    I'm going with the Spiegen listed below so far, but then I'm thinking the other 5 are good to..
    I won't list them all though as I'm to lazy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HEAVY-DUTY-Spigen-Protective-Gunmetal-Protection/dp/B00I3UWDV8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400770399&sr=8-1&keywords=spigen+gunmetal+s5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

If youd call choosing between 6 being narrowed down then yes I do :P
    I'm going with the Spiegen listed below so far, but then I'm thinking the other 5 are good to..
    I won't list them all though as I'm to lazy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HEAVY-DUTY-Spigen-Protective-Gunmetal-Protection/dp/B00I3UWDV8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400770399&sr=8-1&keywords=spigen+gunmetal+s5

Thats a nice case!

shedweller wrote: »
    Thats a nice case!
    I thought so to, but to be fair another Boards user was the one who pointed it out to me :)

oh and does anyone know how much the order needs to be for free delivery to Ireland from Amazon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Just received the Spigen case for my S5 this morning. Lovely case - perfect fit and seems solid and will definitely help protect the phone if dropped. Also got a tempered glass screen protector for it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

Otterbox are the best, they're awful though an completely take the look off the phone, imo.

would literally do more damage to your floor than your phone if you dropped it in one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

oh and does anyone know how much the order needs to be for free delivery to Ireland from Amazon?

completely depends on the seller

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Picasso711

The case you get from Anker with their extended battery is very robust and dependable. I have it for the s3 and its great. I am sure they have it for the latest model too...

Advertisement