Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift for a wedding I'm not going to

Options
  • 06-06-2014 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭

A work colleague of my wife is getting married soon but we can't make the wedding. We'll be giving cash but were wondering how much given that we won't be there. We usually give 200 for any wedding we go to.

She's not very close to the colleague- they never meet outside of work and never txt or phone each other. I was thinking about 50, the OH reckons 100?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I would never consider giving a gift to someone I'm not close to if I'm not attending the wedding, is that just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

I would never consider giving a gift to someone I'm not close to if I'm not attending the wedding, is that just me?

Me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

If I'm invited, don't go, and amn't particularly close to the bride or groom, I put €50 in a card

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I've turned down a good few invitations from work colleagues over the years and never gave a gift. It never even crossed my mind tbh! If it was a good friend or family member I'd probably give a gift if I couldn't make it. I'm getting married this year and wouldn't expect a gift from people who can't/don't want to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

It's a work colleague not a close friend. You shouldn't be giving ANYTHING considering you are not attending except for a card.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'd agree with the above, if it was a colleague who I wasn't really close to, I'd just send a nice card. If you REALLY want to give something, then the €50 in a card is more than generous. In your situation, I think putting €100 in the card is far too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

tinkerbell wrote: »
    It's a work colleague not a close friend. You shouldn't be giving ANYTHING considering you are not attending except for a card.

How does it make sense not to give someone a present to wish them well in married life because you can't attend the wedding?
    If you were going, how much would you give?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Toots* wrote: »
    I'd agree with the above, if it was a colleague who I wasn't really close to, I'd just send a nice card. If you REALLY want to give something, then the €50 in a card is more than generous. In your situation, I think putting €100 in the card is far too much.

Agree with this. If it's someone not particularly close, fifty quid is more than generous, one hundred is far too much, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭BeatlesFan1992

digzy wrote: »
    A work colleague of my wife is getting married soon but we can't make the wedding. We'll be giving cash but were wondering how much given that we won't be there. We usually give 200 for any wedding we go to.

She's not very close to the colleague- they never meet outside of work and never txt or phone each other. I was thinking about 50, the OH reckons 100?

Don't be stressing that you can't go or feel the need to give a gift. You barely know the person, as does your wife.

I'm sure the Bride and Groom will barely notice who is and isn't there.

Keep the money and bring your wife out for a nice meal. I'd prefer that than going to a wedding of a person I hardly know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Absolutely no need for a gift. If I'd sent a colleague a wedding invite out of courtesy but in the full expectation that they wouldn't attend, I'd be morto if they gave me a cash gift, and I'd probably try to give it back.
    If you wife wanted to spend €10 to €15 on a photo frame or a smelly candle of some sort and wrap it up and give it to her on her last day before her big day, then that would be much more appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

Was invited to afters of a workmate's wedding. Only known him a few months. Thought of putting 50 in a card, but his manager got a common card and did an envelope collection, everyone gave between 10 and 20, so I gave 15.
    Basically, don't think anyone expects gift from people not attending a wedding. Even from close friends of ours that didn't come to our wedding, we got $100. We thought it was generous of them as we certainly didn't expect a penny. A card to wish them well is appropriate, unless your wife signs one at work from everyone. Anything on top of that is entirely optional...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Addle wrote: »
    If I'm invited, don't go, and amn't particularly close to the bride or groom, I put €50 in a card

Please PM me your address, I have a wedding invitation to send you.

:D

Advertisement