Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVB-T2 For Hp Proliant Running Ubuntu

Options
  • 06-06-2014 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Currently using the PCI-e slot for a DVB-s2 card and I'm just looking for recommendations for a DVB-T2 card/usb stick.

Also I'm just wondering how many channels can I watch/record with one input on the card?

I know it's 1 per input for DVB-S2 but I'm hoping this would be different.

Any advice appreciated.

// Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Usually all the channels on the Mux (DTT) or Transponder (Satellite) can be viewed simultaneously.

Presently Saorview has 2 Muxes so a dual card allows multiples of all channels to be viewed.

Most Sat transponders also have multiple channels that can be viewed simultaneously.

I suppose it might depend on your hardware and software .....

There are dual tuner DTT USB sticks available ..... but honestly an internal card would give the best results, IMO.

What card slots have you available internally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Windows or Linux?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭randombar

Usually all the channels on the Mux (DTT) or Transponder (Satellite) can be viewed simultaneously.

Presently Saorview has 2 Muxes so a dual card allows multiples of all channels to be viewed.

What card slots have you available internally?
    Windows or Linux?

HP Proliant N40L, running Ubuntu with Headend

Currently have TBS6922SE DVB-S2 TV Tuner PCIe Card in the PCI x1 slot 2 installed, upgrading it to the TBS6992 DVB-S2 Dual Tuner Dual CI PCIe Card soon enough so I have the PCI x16 slot free.

Thanks for getting back.

Using a TBS card in the available slot would seem to be the obvious choice (to me anyway :) ).

I have
    TBS 6280 dual DTT
    TBS 6981 dual Sat

I believe there are now newer versions of those cards available .... I'm sure you can find the numbers ;)

Using a TBS card in the available slot would seem to be the obvious choice (to me anyway :) ).

I have
    TBS 6280 dual DTT
    TBS 6981 dual Sat

I believe there are now newer versions of those cards available .... I'm sure you can find the numbers ;)

So how many channels can you simultaneously watch/record? I know complete overkill but still good to know.

• Advertisement

GaryCocs wrote: »
    So how many channels can you simultaneously watch/record? I know complete overkill but still good to know.

When getting into higher numbers of channels recording simultaneously, it is possible to hit limits of hardware for recording, LAN speeds for multiple TV channels, and even server hardware to serve multiple channels.

Ignoring those possible limitations the situation would be ...

DTT .... two tuners ..... two muxes ........ all content can be viewed/recorded by as many devices as the hardware (as above) will allow.

Sat .... two tuners .... two transponders can be tuned ..... so take as an example there are 10 channels on each transponder then 20 channels can be received/recorded/whatever by as many device es as the hardware can handle.

If I had a quad tuner Sat card then that 20 would rise to 40.

The obvious limitation of course is that it is ONLY the channels on the tuned-in transponder that can be viewed and often there is a lot of rubbish and one or two interesting channels on each (or so it often seems to me).

Some time ago I did a test and recorded and viewed 5 HD channels simultaneously.
    I have no idea what the actual limits of my set up are.
    That test was sufficient for me.

My HTPC/server runs Openelec with XBMC, as does my R-Pi for the bedroom PC now, and I run XBMC on my destop and my wife's laptop.
    I have no idea what others in the house use ..... oh yes I have also used an Arnova GBook (very underpowered) to view liveTV. (It needs to be plugged into a power source or the battery dies very quickly ;) )

The backend in use on the HTPC/server is similar to yours apparently ..... TVHeadend.

When getting into higher numbers of channels recording simultaneously, it is possible to hit limits of hardware for recording, LAN speeds for multiple TV channels, and even server hardware to serve multiple channels.

Ignoring those possible limitations the situation would be ...

DTT .... two tuners ..... two muxes ........ all content can be viewed/recorded by as many devices as the hardware (as above) will allow.

Sat .... two tuners .... two transponders can be tuned ..... so take as an example there are 10 channels on each transponder then 20 channels can be received/recorded/whatever by as many device es as the hardware can handle.

If I had a quad tuner Sat card then that 20 would rise to 40.

The obvious limitation of course is that it is ONLY the channels on the tuned-in transponder that can be viewed and often there is a lot of rubbish and one or two interesting channels on each (or so it often seems to me).

Some time ago I did a test and recorded and viewed 5 HD channels simultaneously.
    I have no idea what the actual limits of my set up are.
    That test was sufficient for me.

My HTPC/server runs Openelec with XBMC, as does my R-Pi for the bedroom PC now, and I run XBMC on my destop and my wife's laptop.
    I have no idea what others in the house use ..... oh yes I have also used an Arnova GBook (very underpowered) to view liveTV. (It needs to be plugged into a power source or the battery dies very quickly ;) )

The backend in use on the HTPC/server is similar to yours apparently ..... TVHeadend.

Looks like two duals is the way to go so.

Just wondering. Do you think it would be better to use the PCI-e for a hdmi display instead of the dual tuner? It only has standard display out and I'm thinking I could just use this as a client too if I put a better fan in.

Looks like two duals is the way to go so.

Just wondering. Do you think it would be better to use the PCI-e for a hdmi display instead of the dual tuner? It only has standard display out and I'm thinking I could just use this as a client too if I put a better fan in.

I presently have my HTPC both as client and server ...... but intend to separate the two functions, putting the server into a box of its own and then using a completely silent client at the TV, hard wired to the server.

For whatever reasons here wireless has not been satisfactory.

Whether I use a R-Pi again, or get something a bit better that will run Openelec/XBMC as the client, has not yet been decided.

On the matter of whether to use a video card or not in one of the PCI-e slots ....... I am unsure TBH as I do not know that hardware.

The manual says

Expansion Slots:
    Slot 1: PCI-Express Gen 2 x16 connector with x16 link
    Slot 2: PCI-Express Gen 2 x1 connector with x1 Link
    Slot 2-2: PCI-Express x4 slot for optional management card

Whether the three slots would function as you wish is unknown to me ...... also there is the possibility/probability? that a graphics card with heatsink would block one of the other slots.

You could get a fanless graphics card such as the Nvidia G630 2GB DDR3 .... or with 1GB DDR3 ..... or maybe a G620 .... any of which should output the video to HDMI without much problem. (and they are cheap :) )

In any case, having used a full HTPC/server for a year or so, I am definitely inclined to go the separate path with clients wired to the server's router (1Gb/s). Others I know disagree .... we all have our own preferences and reasons ;)

I presently have my HTPC both as client and server ...... but intend to separate the two functions, putting the server into a box of its own and then using a completely silent client at the TV, hard wired to the server.

For whatever reasons here wireless has not been satisfactory.

Whether I use a R-Pi again, or get something a bit better that will run Openelec/XBMC as the client, has not yet been decided.

On the matter of whether to use a video card or not in one of the PCI-e slots ....... I am unsure TBH as I do not know that hardware.

The manual says

Expansion Slots:
    Slot 1: PCI-Express Gen 2 x16 connector with x16 link
    Slot 2: PCI-Express Gen 2 x1 connector with x1 Link
    Slot 2-2: PCI-Express x4 slot for optional management card

Whether the three slots would function as you wish is unknown to me ...... also there is the possibility/probability? that a graphics card with heatsink would block one of the other slots.

You could get a fanless graphics card such as the Nvidia G630 2GB DDR3 .... or with 1GB DDR3 ..... or maybe a G620 .... any of which should output the video to HDMI without much problem. (and they are cheap :) )

In any case, having used a full HTPC/server for a year or so, I am definitely inclined to go the separate path with clients wired to the server's router (1Gb/s). Others I know disagree .... we all have our own preferences and reasons ;)

Interesting to hear that all right. I'm on the fence about it at the moment cause the server would then be tied up displaying xbmc. The noise is also a concern with spinning disks.

Reckon I'll order the cards anyways.

Any other advice for me?

Help is much appreciated.

I have a HP Proliant ML310e here for the last nine months or so.
    I had intended to use it for my server box.

Unfortunately the damned thing spins up its fans whenever a PCI-e card is enabled ..... regardless any contribution to the heat being generated.

Normally the fans were spinning at ~8% and the box could easily have been in the same room. That speed was present even if the CPU was worked hard.

Insert a PCI card .... the fans went to ~26% .... and became too noisy to have it present in the room.

I spent months trying to find out what was wrong ...... and eventually decided nothing more than crap firmware from HP.
    It ignores the temperatures (about 12 sensors in there) and just defaults to faster fans when any card is inserted!

So before I use the server I will have to figure out a means of controlling the fans by something off the motherboard.

I tell you about the above because I have no idea if your micro server will have a similar problem or not. If it does you will not want it in the same room as the TV client/s. ;)

Other than that, all I can say is that you probably should decide where the PCs will go and how to get the Sat and DTT cables to the server and the ethernet cables from there to the TV --- if you are going to split the functions.

In addition I would be a little concerned about that third slot and whether it will perform as you might expect a normal PCI-e slot to do.

I also tried using a full Linux distro with XBMC on the HTPC (still have it in a dual boot config) but there is nothing I need that Openelec cannot do.
    So the HTPC is overspecified considering the low resources that Openelec needs.
    It runs from RAM ...... about 150MBs ..... as a LiveOS, so large amounts of RAM are not needed.

A dual core Celeron was quite capable of doing all that was required ..... including outputting 1080 on HDMI.
    It will have an even easier time when I split the functions.

The XBMCHub plugins do everything else besides the LiveTV .... streaming video etc.
    I don't use Netflix so that is not a problem for me ... most anything interesting is available elsewhere in any case.

TVHeadend looks after the EPG for the LiveTV and will stream to multiple devices simultaneously without problems.

In the end, rather than messing with a full distro and drivers etc etc., Openelec community build, including the TBS drivers, has been the best experience ..... with XBMC on client devices, including a R-Pi with Openelc (needed a licence for MPEG2 for the Pi - a couple of euros).

Nothing else comes to mind.
    Whatever you decide try to look to your future needs and set up. My arrangement is not necessarily going to suit you ;)

Good luck!

• Advertisement

I have a HP Proliant ML310e here for the last nine months or so.
    I had intended to use it for my server box.

Unfortunately the damned thing spins up its fans whenever a PCI-e card is enabled ..... regardless any contribution to the heat being generated.

Normally the fans were spinning at ~8% and the box could easily have been in the same room. That speed was present even if the CPU was worked hard.

Insert a PCI card .... the fans went to ~26% .... and became too noisy to have it present in the room.

I spent months trying to find out what was wrong ...... and eventually decided nothing more than crap firmware from HP.
    It ignores the temperatures (about 12 sensors in there) and just defaults to faster fans when any card is inserted!

So before I use the server I will have to figure out a means of controlling the fans by something off the motherboard.

I tell you about the above because I have no idea if your micro server will have a similar problem or not. If it does you will not want it in the same room as the TV client/s. ;)

Other than that, all I can say is that you probably should decide where the PCs will go and how to get the Sat and DTT cables to the server and the ethernet cables from there to the TV --- if you are going to split the functions.

In addition I would be a little concerned about that third slot and whether it will perform as you might expect a normal PCI-e slot to do.

I also tried using a full Linux distro with XBMC on the HTPC (still have it in a dual boot config) but there is nothing I need that Openelec cannot do.
    So the HTPC is overspecified considering the low resources that Openelec needs.
    It runs from RAM ...... about 150MBs ..... as a LiveOS, so large amounts of RAM are not needed.

A dual core Celeron was quite capable of doing all that was required ..... including outputting 1080 on HDMI.
    It will have an even easier time when I split the functions.

The XBMCHub plugins do everything else besides the LiveTV .... streaming video etc.
    I don't use Netflix so that is not a problem for me ... most anything interesting is available elsewhere in any case.

TVHeadend looks after the EPG for the LiveTV and will stream to multiple devices simultaneously without problems.

In the end, rather than messing with a full distro and drivers etc etc., Openelec community build, including the TBS drivers, has been the best experience ..... with XBMC on client devices, including a R-Pi with Openelc (needed a licence for MPEG2 for the Pi - a couple of euros).

Nothing else comes to mind.
    Whatever you decide try to look to your future needs and set up. My arrangement is not necessarily going to suit you ;)

Good luck!

Thanks for that, great stuff here, ordered those cards and an SSD enclosure for the server so will leave it in the utility I reckon for now and upgrade the HD to SSD and maybe clone it for safety.

Have a couple of RPi set up at the minute with openelec distro of xbmc, not the fastest for the live tv but very good as a media centre.

Might see how people get on with the Amazon Fire when it comes out here see if that's capable.

Tried out the ouya but wasn't too impressed with the fan so selling it on again.

Also got the cheapest remotes I could find for the Pi but should have spent a bit more for better ones, make the experience a whole lot better I'd say.

Do you have a decent channel layout / list going for tvheadend, way too many channels on it at the moment.

If I could get sickbeard talking to xbmc for updates now I'd be well sorted and bye bye sly!

I got a FLIRC and use that, with one of the TBS remotes that came with the cards, on the R-Pi.

The latest Openelec is comfortably faster than the previous version on the Pi, for Live TV here.
    I considered overclocking it slightly, but did not bother in the end.

I also added xbmcHub which provides more than what I need.

TVHeadend is still largely a mystery to me :D
    I have not found an easy and quick method of setting it up with preferred channels from scratch.

I have added the BBC Red button channels in preparation for the world cup etc :)

I'm actually looking at running USB and HDMI over ethernet now, this would mean I could use the server as the media player from a different room.

I'm actually looking at running USB and HDMI over ethernet now, this would mean I could use the server as the media player from a different room.

I never even heard of USB over ethernet :)

I saw no point for me in HDMI over ethernet ..... not when I can get multiple streams over ethernet by using client devices where I need them.

Working on installing the drivers for the TBS 6281 dual DTT card at the moment and having problems.

You can't remember where you got the drivers?

I've installed the latest from here: http://www.tbsdtv.com/download/ and can't get the drivers to attach.

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/TBS6280

root@HomeServer:~# lspci -v | grep --after-context=10 7160

03:00.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7160 (rev 03)

Subsystem: Device 6281:0001

Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11

Memory at fe800000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]

Capabilities: [40] MSI: Enable- Count=1/32 Maskable- 64bit+

Capabilities: [50] Express Endpoint, MSI 00

Capabilities: [74] Power Management version 2

Capabilities: [80] Vendor Specific Information: Len=50 <?>

Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0000 Rev=0 Len=088 <?>

04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5723 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe

root@HomeServer:~# lspci -vvvnn | grep --after-context=27 7160

03:00.0 Multimedia controller [0480]: Philips Semiconductors SAA7160 [1131:7160] (rev 03)

Subsystem: Device [6281:0001]

Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-

Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-

Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes

Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11

Region 0: Memory at fe800000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]

Capabilities: [40] MSI: Enable- Count=1/32 Maskable- 64bit+

Address: 0000000000000000 Data: 0000

Capabilities: [50] Express (v1) Endpoint, MSI 00

DevCap: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <256ns, L1 <1us

ExtTag- AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE- FLReset-

DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-

RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-

MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes

DevSta: CorrErr- UncorrErr+ FatalErr- UnsuppReq+ AuxPwr- TransPend-

LnkCap: Port #1, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1, Exit Latency L0s <4us, L1 <64us

ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot-

LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 128 bytes Disabled- CommClk+

ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-

LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk- DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-

Capabilities: [74] Power Management version 2

Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0+,D1+,D2+,D3hot-,D3cold-)

Capabilities: [80] Vendor Specific Information: Len=50 <?>

Capabilities: [100 v1] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0000 Rev=0 Len=088 <?>

04:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200

Advertisement