Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW HEDGE LOCATION

Options
  • 06-06-2014 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

So guys im planning on planting two hedges at the front of my house ,at the moment on one side theres a hedgerow with lots different types of trees hedging and the other is mainly trees.i want a more formal hedge on both sides so im probably going to put in laurel ,my concern is I don't want to cut whats there as it would be very exposed so what im looking to find out is would the hedge have too much competition from whats there,,i plan on cutting the trees and hedgerow out in a few years once the laurel gets up to about 6 foot...lines are where I am going to plant the hedge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My feeling would be that in pic 1, planting a hedge on a slope would mean that the hedge would not get enough water in its early years, as the water would just run off, also there will be a fair amount of root there already. In pic 2 I think you will find there will be considerable root mass there already and the hedge would be hard pressed to get a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

thanks looksee yeah I am planning on levelling out the ground in pic1 and putting in plenty of ground work good soil,manure etc and remove any heavy roots in the new dug out trench.in pic 2 which was taken only recently the trees are tall but slim enough so you think the laurel hedge wouldn't grow ,survive or grow at any decent rate?...I really don't want to remove whats there as it will be so exposed and privacy lost...unless I go for mature laurel which is out the question due to the amount I need.

• Site Banned Posts: 62 ✭✭Rainwaterman

bazbrady wrote: »
    thanks looksee yeah I am planning on levelling out the ground in pic1 and putting in plenty of ground work good soil,manure etc and remove any heavy roots in the new dug out trench.in pic 2 which was taken only recently the trees are tall but slim enough so you think the laurel hedge wouldn't grow ,survive or grow at any decent rate?...I really don't want to remove whats there as it will be so exposed and privacy lost...unless I go for mature laurel which is out the question due to the amount I need.
    Would there be any issue with the local council and neighbours or any enviromental or habitat laws if you were to remove those trees?A very well known Irish businessman got into some trouble last year with the local council and neighbours for removing trees and hedgerows from his land.If theres no issues,then you could remove it,level the ground and plant some 4-5 foot tall laurels.You could then install a temporary wooden fence or windbreak netting/scaffolders netting of 2 meters in height around your site to give you your privacy until the hedge establishes and grows to your desired height.Install the temporary fence back 3 feet from the new laurel hedgerow.Stagger your laurels so that you get a full thick hedge in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

laurel will grow anywhere and is a very hardy plant.i planted 500 along the front of my place at the start of this year on top of a bank,they have settled in nicely and are starting t grow.
    keep it well maintained as it grows pretty rapid,buy 2ft+ plants and keep them 3 to a meter shuld have a decent hedge in 4years
    for what yur loking t do plating along the blue line in pic1 keep in mine it leaves you enoggh line of sight leaving your driveway onto road.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

tks vinnie13 yes I will spend plenty of time digging in good soil keeping them well watered and no weeds,i think I have a good chance of them taking even with the trees there once I care for them as you said they are hardy...yeah ill have to keep an eye on that leaving the driveway but the road is very long and straight ..cheers guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Any idea of the cheapest place to get scaffolders netting

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

hexosan wrote: »
    Any idea of the cheapest place to get scaffolders netting

heres the first one i found might be a good starting point

http://www.mcmahons.ie/scaffolding-netting-2x50m.html

ring around local diy stores and see if they can match this price

Advertisement