Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can I do geology through earth and ocean science?

• 06-06-2014 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

I am thinking of doing earth and ocean science in NUIG. Can anyone tell me if I can become a geologist out of this course? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Yeh, that's a proper geology course. You can become a member of the IGI and a candidate fellow of Geol Soc. Galway's a nice spot and that's a pretty good department as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Postoffice123

El Siglo wrote: »
    Yeh, that's a proper geology course. You can become a member of the IGI and a candidate fellow of Galway's a nice spot and that's a pretty good department as well.

So would it be the same course say if I was to geology in Dublin? Can I get the same jobs out of it?

So would it be the same course say if I was to geology in Dublin? Can I get the same jobs out of it?

Yes, exactly same and recognised in the same way as the UCD, TCD, and UCCs degrees. There are differences but these are more research specific (eg Galway has always been good for marine geology, UCD for sedimentology etc...).

El Siglo wrote: »
    Yes, exactly same and recognised in the same way as the UCD, TCD, and UCCs degrees. There are differences but these are more research specific (eg Galway has always been good for marine geology, UCD for sedimentology etc...).

That's great thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭franglan

I did this course and some of my classmates are geologist in Ireland and further afield, usually in a field :-)

• Advertisement

franglan wrote: »
    I did this course and some of my classmates are geologist in Ireland and further afield, usually in a field :-)

Oh good! I'd love to examine volcanic sites or past earthquake zones (that kind of geology) rocks, etc .. Would I be able to get a job like this out of it I wonder?

Oh good! I'd love to examine volcanic sites or past earthquake zones (that kind of geology) rocks, etc .. Would I be able to get a job like this out of it I wonder?

There's jobs about, best thing to do is have a look at http://www.earthworks-jobs.com, it'll give you an idea about the kinds of jobs there are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭franglan

Yep, no issues there. A masters in structural geology or tectonic geology would help too.

Advertisement