Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon summer camps? Has anyone worked here?

Options
  • 05-06-2014 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi!

Long time lurker, First ever post. Apologies if this is in ye wrong section!

I'm a newly qualified teacher just out a year. For the summer I was looking for some work to keep me going until September. I applied for a summer camp (google horizonireland) as an instructor. I heard back a day after and was offered the job without any interview etc. it's like €350 a week for 4-5 weeks. Just wondering if anyone has worked here before? If so how was it? The cynic in me feels like it's too good to be true!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 AutumnLady

Hi!

I'm a newly qualified teacher just out a year. For the summer I was looking for some work to keep me going until September. I applied for a summer camp (google horizonireland) as an instructor. I heard back a day after and was offered the job without any interview etc. it's like €350 a week for 4-5 weeks. Just wondering if anyone has worked here before? If so how was it? The cynic in me feels like it's too good to be true!

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I was going to apply for one of those jobs with Horizon Ireland.

It sounds weird that they didn't interview you. Did they at least have a chat with you on the phone?

I've heard that a lot of summer camp type jobs do skype interviews etc, so not meeting them in person might not be the biggest red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Scobert Doo

AutumnLady wrote: »
    Hi,

I was going to apply for one of those jobs with Horizon Ireland.

It sounds weird that they didn't interview you. Did they at least have a chat with you on the phone?

I've heard that a lot of summer camp type jobs do skype interviews etc, so not meeting them in person might not be the biggest red flag.

Thanks for replying!
    Nope no phone call or anything! I've worked for some other camps before and got face to face interviews and Skype. So that's why I was really shocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 AutumnLady

Thanks for replying!
    Nope no phone call or anything! I've worked for some other camps before and got face to face interviews and Skype. So that's why I was really shocked!

Very odd indeed. If they at least had a conversation with you on the phone, then I wouldn't be that suspicious.

When I got my CELTA cert though, my instructor said that with summer camps, schools would pretty much hire anyone who at least had the necessary credentials. Have they followed up on paperwork? Ie Asking for copies of degree, TEFL cert, reference contact details, Garda vetting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tiredmom

Dubious company with very shady ethics, I recently as a parent have recently had a very bad experience with horizon Ireland, needless to say, I would not trust them. Unprofessional in every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ted Bradley

Tiredmum can you give me any more details as my daughter was(is) with them for a multi-activity week and we have some concerns which we have report to the Gardi. The attitude to welfare seems casual and relaxed without realising the importance of children being safe. Met an individual in Westport purporting to represent them. After some investigation its hard to determine who the company behind this assuming there is a company and whether they are adhering to correct procedures. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭ngunners

Hi!

Thanks in advance!

I realise I'm probably too late to this thread. But steer well clear. Worked there once, never again. Very poorly managed camps.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shivpepper

I have also worked at one of the camps and wouldn't really recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Imagine employing someone without meeting them ? Did they check references?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Carraigfraggle

MOD SNip
    Please don't drag up old threads.

\Thread Closed\

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement