Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growth scans and baby size

Options
  • 05-06-2014 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

I had to have my anomaly scan repeated as they couldn't get a clear pic of baby's heart due to the position s/he was lying in. I went back 4 weeks later and the heart looked perfect, thank God.

The midwife asked me if I smoke and I said no and she told me that my baby was a bit small. I am booked back in again for a growth scan in 4 weeks.

I have been under immense stress due to an ongoing horrible issue at work and the midwife said that stress can contribute to a small baby. Obviously I will do what is best for my baby but I am just wondering if anybody here had an experience like this where they were booked in for a growth scan due to baby being a bit small? I will be 24 weeks tomorrow and will be 28 weeks for the next scan if that makes a difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Hi Isolt,
    I had a few growth scans from about 30 weeks. I went for a routine appointment and during the scan my consultant felt that my amniotic fluid levels were low and baby was a little small, stomach size especially. At about 36 weeks overall growth picked well up but stomach was still a bit small so I continued to be monitored closely. At that stage he estimated she'd be a decent size, 7.5-8lb. She was born 8lb 2oz at 10 days over. He did sign me off work early though as my work can be fairly hectic and he felt rest would help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I had similar with my second. My first was a young toddler and a real handful and I had back problems that caused me a lot of pain and reduced mobility. My parents managed to come over to help out and when those stresses were removed my baby began to grow as normal and was born a healthy 7lb 14oz. If I were you I would try to take early maternity leave or at least pass the buck on whatever's stressing you at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I had a very detailed research scan at 39 weeks, a 3d one, the consultant said he was seven pounds eleven ounces at the time. When he was born, at 41 weeks, he was only seven pounds three! There is a margin of error built in with these scans. You definitely shouldn't take those estimates as fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I had a very detailed research scan at 39 weeks, a 3d one, the consultant said he was seven pounds eleven ounces at the time. When he was born, at 41 weeks, he was only seven pounds three! There is a margin of error built in with these scans. You definitely shouldn't take those estimates as fact!

Similar - my baby was breech and at 37 weeks they said had to have section and no later than 39 weeks as baby was measuring between 71/2 and 8 lbs. this was a specific measurement scan in holles st. I grew a lot during that 2 weeks and I know my baby did and she was born 6lbs 5... Wish I'd waited til 40 weeks to let her grow more!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear this is common and that babies do continue to grow to a healthy weight! I have an antenatal check up tomorrow so will try to bring up the issue of work stress (as long as I don't start crying!) and see if I am allowed a few days off to rest. I'm working over time and not getting breaks most days and even today I was so overwhelmed I was dizzy and couldn't seem to get my eyes focus on anything ahead of me. It's just too much. Hopefully I'll be able to explain myself clearly to the doctor tomorrow without sounding like a hysterical slacker who just wants to stay at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I do agree that the scan measurements are not fully accurate, but with an overdue baby if the placenta has started to deteriorate they can actually loose weight as they are partially using up their fat stores. It happened with my first- he was really long but skinny- he had no bum!- and the placenta was quite grotty. Mind you he's tall and slim now so it could be his body type.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Isolt wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear this is common and that babies do continue to grow to a healthy weight! I have an antenatal check up tomorrow so will try to bring up the issue of work stress (as long as I don't start crying!) and see if I am allowed a few days off to rest. I'm working over time and not getting breaks most days and even today I was so overwhelmed I was dizzy and couldn't seem to get my eyes focus on anything ahead of me. It's just too much. Hopefully I'll be able to explain myself clearly to the doctor tomorrow without sounding like a hysterical slacker who just wants to stay at home.

That is totally unsustainable and will not do you or your little one any good. Write down everything before seeing your doctor so in the event of getting emotional you can at least let them know what's happening. You and baby come first so ask for a week or so off to give you both a fighting chance of you being able to destress, rest and eat well and baby in turn will benefit. No job is worth you not relishing your pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Thanks ladies. The midwife was very good and she called the doctor down because my blood pressure was high. I explained (through a lot of tears) what was going on in work and how worn out I am with all the extra hours and shortened breaks. They said I needed to rest and get the blood pressure back to normal, and that less stress would help the baby grow and thrive. So for now I am off for two weeks to rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Good girl, hope you feel better soon

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mosii

Hi,I hope your feeling better,on our very first scan,on our first child, we were told the same,and my wife was worried ,we went for second scan,and all was ok.Our first son was born 6lbs ,he is now 14 and near 6 ft tall.What people forget in my humble opinion,is that the female body can take a lot of stress and work and the unborn will be fine,just look back in history,obviously the less problems the better,but you have a lot of strength in reserve.As for your job,go on illness benefit for as long as you can,if you can and give yourself time ,time sorts all problems out,I know this is easier said then done,but its true.Best of luck for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mosii

What you think?

Advertisement