Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red 440v sockets working while 240v sockets not?

Options
  • 05-06-2014 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,
    I have a shed wired for 3 phase. All the red 440v sockets are working, however in recent days the standard 3 prong & blue 240V sockets have stopped working. I have a decent knowledge of electrics that I have learned myself. The 240V comes out of the breaker board from a single wire to all plugs, there is one single blue breaker that seems to not have the same spring in it when pushing it. It reads MCG SP632C. I'm not going to repair myself but can anyone indicate what could be wrong? The plugs and wire going to the board seem fine.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

banjoman22 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have a shed wired for 3 phase. All the red 440v sockets are working, however in recent days the standard 3 prong & blue 240V sockets have stopped working. I have a decent knowledge of electrics that I have learned myself. The 240V comes out of the breaker board from a single wire to all plugs, there is one single blue breaker that seems to not have the same spring in it when pushing it. It reads MCG SP632C. I'm not going to repair myself but can anyone indicate what could be wrong? The plugs and wire going to the board seem fine.

Sorry if I'm wrong but we have 230v here in Ireland. 240v is UK only.
    I strongly suggest that you repost this in the electric forum & not the diy. Too many back seat drivers hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

banjoman22 wrote: »
    there is one single blue breaker that seems to not have the same spring in it when pushing it.

You have answered your own question there, dead mcb is my thoughts.

Too many back seat drivers hear

Maybe they are very tall.

Maybe they are very tall.

Maybe they are. :-)
    I'm not an electrician so I can't answer this question but I do feel most electric questions should be directed to the electric fourm & hopefully they can be safely guided through the process or if need be told bluntly "get a certed electrician".
    Always safety first.
    :-)

I would advise the op to get a registered electrical contractor, he may have no qualification what so ever but he will have a Safe Electric sticker on his van.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 banjoman22

i just joined this today and could't find an electric forum but since have. I would never dream of attempting a repair myself, was curious to know what the problem was

I would advise the op to get a registered electrical contractor, he may have no qualification what so ever but he will have a Safe Electric sticker on his van.

This one will never go away. I hear you loud and clear. Plumbers have had this with the gas board for years.

I still think op will get better advice on the electric thread. Even if some are not certed, on the whole they should have better knowledge than here.

I still think op will get better advice on the electric thread. Even if some are not certed, on the whole they should have better knowledge than here.

I agree with you, fair point.

This is a link to it op.

Advertisement