Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stamp 4 after 2+ years on Hosting Agreement

Options
  • 05-06-2014 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hi,

I have been working as a researcher in Ireland since July 2011, on hosting agreements. This means I will finish 3 years end of this June when my current hosting agreement/contract and GNIB card expire. Currently, a new job (also as a researcher) is being sorted out for me which would start in July.

I understand that being on hosting agreements for 2+ years, I am eligible to apply for Stamp 4 but I am not sure how to go about it in my current situation.

Every year when I have gone to renew my GNIB card (to get Stamp 1), I have always had to show my hosting agreement/contract as proof that I will be employed for the next year. Is it the same for Stamp 4? In short, my question is, can I apply for Stamp 4 before I have my new hosting agreement/contract?
    If yes, does this mean I don't even need a hosting agreement and should inform my employer? I am confused because it seems that one doesn't need a permit to work on Stamp 4 but there's no clarity on whether it is needed for the application.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ali125

zepman wrote: »
    Hi,

I have been working as a researcher in Ireland since July 2011, on hosting agreements. This means I will finish 3 years end of this June when my current hosting agreement/contract and GNIB card expire. Currently, a new job (also as a researcher) is being sorted out for me which would start in July.

I understand that being on hosting agreements for 2+ years, I am eligible to apply for Stamp 4 but I am not sure how to go about it in my current situation.

Every year when I have gone to renew my GNIB card (to get Stamp 1), I have always had to show my hosting agreement/contract as proof that I will be employed for the next year. Is it the same for Stamp 4? In short, my question is, can I apply for Stamp 4 before I have my new hosting agreement/contract?
    If yes, does this mean I don't even need a hosting agreement and should inform my employer? I am confused because it seems that one doesn't need a permit to work on Stamp 4 but there's no clarity on whether it is needed for the application.

Thanks in advance!

Dear Zepman

Just get appointment for Garda station and get stamp 4. No need of hosting agreement after 2 year.They will not ask for any job contract or hosting agreement as one of my friend get stamp 4 last month.Wish you goodluck for stamp 4
    Thanks
    Ali

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

ali125 wrote: »
    Dear Zepman

Just get appointment for Garda station and get stamp 4. No need of hosting agreement after 2 year.They will not ask for any job contract or hosting agreement as one of my friend get stamp 4 last month.Wish you goodluck for stamp 4
    Thanks
    Ali

Thanks, ali25!
    So, what documents apart from my passport and GNIB card would I need for the application? (couldn't find this information anywhere)

Thanks, ali25!
    So, what documents apart from my passport and GNIB card would I need for the application? (couldn't find this information anywhere)

nothings else , just 300 euros the fee for GNIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 layman

Hi,
    I will need to renew my GNIB soon. Just wondering what is the earliest before the expiry date that I can call into their office for renewal ? 1month ? 2 weeks ?

Thanks

layman wrote: »
    Hi,
    I will need to renew my GNIB soon. Just wondering what is the earliest before the expiry date that I can call into their office for renewal ? 1month ? 2 weeks ?

Thanks

Yes you can easily renew 1 month before.

Some ppl even renew three months before as they want to apply for Uk visa which has the requirement that you must have three month validity on garda card

Regards
    Ali

• Advertisement

nothings else , just 300 euros the fee for GNIB.

Thanks, ali24! You've been very helpful.

Just an FYI for the sake of those who might be in similar situations in the future, I got my Stamp 4 today.
    Although while getting the queue ticket I was asked if I have my work permit with me (which in my case was my hosting agreement), I wasn't even asked about it when I was actually called to submit documents. I was, however, asked for my recent payslip which I had handy. The lady just glanced at it for a couple of seconds and returned it. Everything went smoothly!

Thanks, ali24! You've been very helpful.

Just an FYI for the sake of those who might be in similar situations in the future, I got my Stamp 4 today.
    Although while getting the queue ticket I was asked if I have my work permit with me (which in my case was my hosting agreement), I wasn't even asked about it when I was actually called to submit documents. I was, however, asked for my recent payslip which I had handy. The lady just glanced at it for a couple of seconds and returned it. Everything went smoothly!

GREAT....

Congratulations for the Stamp 4.

Regards
    Ali

Thanks, ali25!

I have another question. My wife is on Stamp 3 (non-EEA spouse) based on the Stamp 1 I had previously. Her GNIB card also expires on 30th June.

Now that I have Stamp 4, in order to renew my wife's GNIB card, is it just a matter of going in with our GNIB cards and our passports? Or is there anything else we might need? I can't seem to find much information anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Question: when you pay your 300 Euro for a stamp 4 how long are they valid for, and are the renewals valid for the same amount of time?
    Thanks

Thanks, ali25!

I have another question. My wife is on Stamp 3 (non-EEA spouse) based on the Stamp 1 I had previously. Her GNIB card also expires on 30th June.

Now that I have Stamp 4, in order to renew my wife's GNIB card, is it just a matter of going in with our GNIB cards and our passports? Or is there anything else we might need? I can't seem to find much information anywhere.

Hi Zepman

Normally people do it together, I mean when you go for stamp 4, you can also do at same time for your wife.

But now you already get the stamp 4, so just go garda station with GNIB cards and passports you don't need anything else Just fee, 300 euros.

Regards
    Ali

• Advertisement

Question: when you pay your 300 Euro for a stamp 4 how long are they valid for, and are the renewals valid for the same amount of time?
    Thanks

I think it's valid for 2 years (at least mine is).
    Hi Zepman

Normally people do it together, I mean when you go for stamp 4, you can also do at same time for your wife.

But now you already get the stamp 4, so just go garda station with GNIB cards and passports you don't need anything else Just fee, 300 euros.

Regards
    Ali

Thanks, ali25! Looks straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 suoyuanlian

This is a really helpful topic.
    Thanks men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 divyaa

Hi, I am looking for suggestions, I am on hosting agreement since Aug 2015 till aug 2017, Can I apply for stamp 4 directly ? What documents do I need ?

divyaa wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking for suggestions, I am on hosting agreement since Aug 2015 till aug 2017, Can I apply for stamp 4 directly ? What documents do I need ?

Hi divyaa, you need to have completed 2 years on a hosting agreement in order to qualify for stamp 4. In your case, it means you will need to go after August.

I'm not sure what you mean by "directly" since it's just a GNIB renewal process. You would just call into their office (you will need an appointment these days) and get your card renewed, the only difference being the stamp you would receive.

The documents you might need have already been mentioned in this thread. Passport and Current GNIB card are a must. Depending on the person, you might be asked other documents, so make sure you bring whatever you think might be relevant (hosting agreement/contract, payslips, address proof, P60s, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mgulzar

Hi,

This thread seems to be very interesting. I also have a query regarding stamp 4 for Scientific Researchers and would be grateful if someone could guide me.

Actually, I am completing my 2 years on hosting agreement on 31st of December, 2017. I have my next GNIB registration due on 6th of October this year. Can I get stamp 4 on my next registration (6th of October) or do I need to wait till 31st of December.

In case I have to wait till the end of December: In this case, I am obliged to get my registration on 6th of October, which will end next year on 6th of October (2018). In this scenario, Do I need to wait till October, 2018 to get stamp 4 or can I go to immigration office on completion of my two years on hosting agreement (31st of December, 2017) to get the stamp 4 immediately.

In addition to this, does any body knows the scenario of a researcher becoming redundant on completion of two years on hosting agreement. Will he still be able to get a stamp 4 or a researcher needs to secure a position beyond 2 years to get stamp 4.

mgulzar wrote: »
    Actually, I am completing my 2 years on hosting agreement on 31st of December, 2017. I have my next GNIB registration due on 6th of October this year. Can I get stamp 4 on my next registration (6th of October)...

Since you won't have completed 2 years on the 6th of October, you won't be given a Stamp 4 on that date.
    ...or do I need to wait till 31st of December. In case I have to wait till the end of December:

Your permission expires on October 6th, so you cannot be waiting until the end of December. You will need to renew your permission on or before October 6th. If you don't, you will be staying in the State illegally.
    In this case, I am obliged to get my registration on 6th of October, which will end next year on 6th of October (2018). In this scenario, Do I need to wait till October, 2018 to get stamp 4 or can I go to immigration office on completion of my two years on hosting agreement (31st of December, 2017) to get the stamp 4 immediately.

You can certainly try to get your registration renewed immediately after December 31st. However, you will likely face resistance from the officer at the counter since the expiry of your current registration would be 10 months away. I once went in 2 months before the expiry of my registration since I had to apply for a UK visa and needed my GNIB card to be valid for at least 3 months. The GNIB officer questioned me as to why I came in so early; he said the UK visa requirement was not the GNIB office's problem. However, he obliged and renewed my Stamp that day.

Your specific situation has been addressed on the INIS website (http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/inis/pages/researchers):
    Persons who qualify for Stamp 4 and whose permission has been renewed on Stamp 1 do not need to return to the immigration office to have their permission updated. Stamp 4 permission will be issued on their next registration.

Even if you somehow manage to convince the GNIB officer to renew your registration so well in advance in December, you will have to pay the €300 registration fee. I personally don't see the point in doing that.
    In addition to this, does any body knows the scenario of a researcher becoming redundant on completion of two years on hosting agreement. Will he still be able to get a stamp 4 or a researcher needs to secure a position beyond 2 years to get stamp 4.

This is a bit tricky and I don't have a concrete answer. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, when I went in to renew my registration (Stamp 1 to Stamp 4) I had completed almost 3 years on hosting agreements. I was asked by the ticketing guy if I had my work permit (hosting agreement) with me, although he didn't ask to see it. When my turn came, the GNIB officer didn't even ask me about it, BUT he did ask to see my recent payslip. However, one of the posters on this thread said a friend of his was not asked for any document when he went in for a Stamp change.

I guess what I am saying is that it depends on whom you are dealing with on that day.

As an aside, I can see where all your questions are coming from. Short-term fixed contracts are a pain. I was on 1-year contracts the first 3.5 years of my life in Ireland and spent each of those years wondering which country I would be in the following year. I used to get to know if my contract was going to be renewed or not only about a month or two before the contract end date. So, 6 months into every contract year, I would be thinking, "What next??" and updating my CV to start looking for other jobs (anywhere in the world). It was stressful and took my focus off the real work!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mgulzar

Hi Zepman,

I am highly thankful to you for your very kind and detailed answer. Actually, I have a contract of two years which is ending in December and I will more probably get an extension for 3-6 months. Whenever, I applied for another position, the companies always ask the immigration status and having stamp 4 increases the chances of getting a position as company doesn't need to get a work permit for me.

Well, as you said I should definitely go for a registration on 6th of October but I think that I should not get my extension letter at that time so they extend my registration only untill December. Then in January I can go with my extension letter and I will also have two years completed so I will get a stamp 4.

Once again many thanks for your detailed answers to my queries

Hi Zepman,

I am highly thankful to you for your very kind and detailed answer. Actually, I have a contract of two years which is ending in December and I will more probably get an extension for 3-6 months. Whenever, I applied for another position, the companies always ask the immigration status and having stamp 4 increases the chances of getting a position as company doesn't need to get a work permit for me.

Well, as you said I should definitely go for a registration on 6th of October but I think that I should not get my extension letter at that time so they extend my registration only untill December. Then in January I can go with my extension letter and I will also have two years completed so I will get a stamp 4.

Once again many thanks for your detailed answers to my queries

Apologies. I missed the part in your earlier post about your contract ending in December (probably because my contract end date always used to match my GNIB registration expiry date).

You're right. Since Stamp 1 is only given for the period of the contract, based on your current contract, they should renew your Stamp 1 only until December 31st. This puts you in a better position than I thought.

Sorry for the mix-up!

Advertisement