Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google would want to come out with something special for the next Android release...

Options
  • 05-06-2014 4:23pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As much as I love to hate Apple, and smile with the many "Lack of innovation" comments in the media, I have to hand it to them the recent stuff they have done is excellent. iOS 7 took some major leaps in functionality, and now with what is being been released in iOS8 - they are really catching up. Android has already been ahead on feature/function type stuff, with Android going more simple but arguably doing some of the basics better/smoother. And all this without Steve Jobs - personally I'd say much of this would never have happened under his watch - so as much slack as Tim Cook gets - I think he's done great stuff for small innovations.

Anyway, apple have now had some major changes in the last few releases, Android not so much. I think they need something big soon...

Anyway, competition is great...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Sometime special like what?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

In the list you link to there's very little that android doesn't already do or have similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The 18 Most Important Features in iOS 8

1. Battery usage indicator

24969-1191763_o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Out of the 18 features in your linked article Android (with Google Apps) already includes 14 of them. If we include 3rd party apps that rises to 16 (possibly 17).

Both Android and iOS are growing closer and Google and Apple both seem to be trying to break into the same industries (TV, wearables/health and home automation). While I would love to see Google (AOSP) come up with something special and non-gimmicky I don't see why Google needs to? Android is the most used mobile operating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

One nice thing would be tighter integration between Android and Chrome. Better handing over of tabs between the two, and SMS and calls from desktop Hangouts would be great.

The integration between OS X and iOS was impressive and they're the kind of things that get a casual user more invested in an ecosystem. I don't know how hard some of them are to do through a browser-based solution, but I'm sure Google could manage somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Oh I'm totally aware that Android already had most of these features - which is why I'm saying iOS is "Catching Up" - but it would be nice to Android to get some new progressive features. iOS has changed it's look significantly, I think Android could do with a fresh lick of paint and some feature changes. Ideally I'd like to see something similar to the original stuff the Firefox OS, app switching etc

As Telchak said mobile/desktop integration would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Tonnes of new features are coming to 4.5 / 5.0, esp related to Hangouts, Desktop to Android sync, new GUI and voice / search features, Android TV, smart watches and cross platform matching designs. Here are some good new screenshots, although I do not agree with the "like iOS7 comments" since Google has had flat design for ages now with their web services.

http://m.ibtimes.co.uk/android-4-5-leaked-screenshot-hints-ios-7-like-redesign-moonshine-update-1444805

PS: iOS has duplicated the newest and best Android features for a long time now, they are just playing catch up as much as possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I wish Hangouts would let you kick someone from a chat.

I'm excited for what Google has in store though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Android is the most used mobile operating system.

Well it would really want to be considering the number of manufacturers of Android phones and how they cater for pretty much every price point.

How much of those using Android are on the latest version of Android or even the second latest, is more of a talking point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Well it would really want to be considering the number of manufacturers of Android phones and how they cater for pretty much every price point.

How much of those using Android are on the latest version of Android or even the second latest, is more of a talking point.

Well at least we don't have to pay for android updates ... The healthy rooting and roming community helps a bunch too .. I wonder how many devices are using a version of android that was never meant to be run on their device but for the talents of the ROM developers and the open nature of the platform ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Less battery chomping would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I'd say that most people who want to be on the latest version are.

While Apple are great at updating their devices, the older devices don't always get all of the features of the newer devices, and not always because of hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

This will be addressed, Google are supposedly killing the Nexus line to work more closely with manufacturers on releasing phones with vanilla Android

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

The only thing I'm concerned about in regards to Android's future is Google's slow choke over the open source aspect of it. It's starting to feel more and more closed in like iOS. I do wonder if the day will come where you can't install APK files outside of the Play Store without tinkering with your device. Android itself is fine though for the most part. The best thing is, if you're not happy with a feature, there's usually some way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Cydoniac wrote: »
    The only thing I'm concerned about in regards to Android's future is Google's slow choke over the open source aspect of it. It's starting to feel more and more closed in like iOS. I do wonder if the day will come where you can't install APK files outside of the Play Store without tinkering with your device. Android itself is fine though for the most part. The best thing is, if you're not happy with a feature, there's usually some way around it.

Isn't that what the dreaded Android silver is gonna be?

A locked down unhackable version of the OS?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Haven't heard that myself, I thought it was going to be like the GPE phones, high end headsets from a range of manufacturers with (close to) stock Android running on them and quick updates. Google are also meant to be heavily advertising these and getting them in to carriers.

Tbh I'm not sure what to think of Android Silver. I personally don't see the need for it, especially if it means the end of the Nexus line. I don't see why Nexus and GPE can't both exist.

Because the manufacturers don't want to be competing with Google subsidised devices like the Nexus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Fieldog wrote: »
    Isn't that what the dreaded Android silver is gonna be?

A locked down unhackable version of the OS?

I utterly doubt Google releasing an apparent unhackable version of Android. They are far too dedicated to Open Source to try and close it off like iOS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I utterly doubt Google releasing an apparent unhackable version of Android. They are far too dedicated to Open Source to try and close it off like iOS.
    Are you so sure about that?

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/googles-iron-grip-on-android-controlling-open-source-by-any-means-necessary/

App by app they've been taking away the open source part, along with restrictng SD card access and generally making it more awkward to customise the phone by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html?utm_source=ausdroid.net

• Advertisement

Wow, can't believe People are still using Froyo.
    Gingerbread is also a bit sadface.
    Ice cream sandwich up is ideal.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The biggest issue I have with Android is the permissions that certain apps ask for and that they're presented as a 'take it or leave it' list that you can't reject individual aspects of.

I don't like how Android is so free and easy with granting access to things like SMS content etc

I think iOS feels a lot more like it's at least making some attempt to protect privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The biggest issue I have with Android is the permissions that certain apps ask for and that they're presented as a 'take it or leave it' list that you can't reject individual aspects of.

I don't like how Android is so free and easy with granting access to things like SMS content etc

I think iOS feels a lot more like it's at least making some attempt to protect privacy.

root and install XPrivacy - control every permission apps ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

SpaceTime wrote: »

You'd be astounded at how many iOS apps ask for the exact same permissions, but it doesn't tell you or give you the choice.

@cydoniac.
    I am pretty sure they won't close it off completely. It defeats the entire purpose of Android. They may stream line it for themselves and "lock down" a few aspects, but they won't make it unhackable or remove the ability to change ROMS.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    You'd be astounded at how many iOS apps ask for the exact same permissions, but it doesn't tell you or give you the choice.

@cydoniac.
    I am pretty sure they won't close it off completely. It defeats the entire purpose of Android. They may stream line it for themselves and "lock down" a few aspects, but they won't make it unhackable or remove the ability to change ROMS.

Exactly, iOS has the same permissions as Android only difference is they don't tell you about them.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

And what people don't know doesn't hurt them.
    Or at least that's what people who don't know think :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Sometime special like what?

Lazers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Exactly, iOS has the same permissions as Android only difference is they don't tell you about them.

I am very familiar with both platforms at a developer level and that's just not true at all.

iOS doesn't give 3rd parties anything like the level of access that Android does to all sorts of permissions and you can turn off access to Location services, push notifications etc etc via the menus without any particular difficulty.

Apps are very heavily sandboxed in iOS where as in Android they can get access to things like sending/receiving SMS messages, initiating calls etc.. that's impossible in iOS at present. You can't even install a 3rd party keyboard (you will be able to in iOS 8, but they'll be heavily pre-approved by Apple).

The iOS API for 3rd party apps just isn't anywhere near as extensive as Android.

At the end of the day, Google makes money by harvesting and selling information and pitching adverts at you. Apple makes money primarily by selling very over-priced hardware and attempting to tie you into their ecosystem of products. They're actually two quite different business models.

Neither company's perfect, but I'd feel a lot more secure with default iOS than default Android.

Obviously, you can root Android much more easily than jailbreaking iOS and get access to a lot finer control over everything, but the average user doesn't do that.

Getting your apps past Apple's approval process is also a hell of a lot more of a challenge than getting past Google's Play Store checks. So, in general you do have to justify what you're accessing much more on iOS than Android.

I'm not saying this as a religious war thing. I use both platforms and they both have their advantages. At present, I think Android is quite significantly ahead of iOS in terms of user experience and flexibility. But, Apple does make things quite rock-solid, even if very inflexible.

Advertisement