Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie freelance instructor looking for some Advice

Options
  • 05-06-2014 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I've recently started freelancing and have been working for a few companies now. But I've recently had some difficulties with one of the companies with regards to working hours.To cut a long story short I was asked to work certain hours for a company which I agreed to after getting confirmation from the company that I was definitely needed, only to be told an hour and a half before I was meant to work that I was no longer needed. As I had agreed to work for the company that particular day I turned down other work that had come up. Therefore not only did I not get paid for the expected hours but I missed out on other work.

Is there a way to get paid for those hours I was meant to work, as the company is refusing to acknowledge the fact that they gave me confirmation that I was definitely needed and had to turn other business down?

Or do I just take the knock and move on?

If anyone has any advice for me it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Hi OP and welcome to boards.
    I've moved your thread to this forum, I think you'll get better advice here :)
    Sauve

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

I would chalk it down to experience and next time create a well defined agreement for the work that you both have to sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,787 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Moved from Work and Jobs: hopefully the folks in E&BM can give you advice about how to write appropriate contracts for your industry.

You should have your own sets of paperwork and when someone agrees to hire you for whatever, you send them the pre-prepared agreement defining their commitment to paying you your fee for the day rail hail or shine. Never expect goodwill from anyone, and you won't get caught out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I would suggest a clause of minimum notice of cancellation or a fee is incurred, but getting it is another matter.

A deposit would be a better commitment but might knock off 99% of possible work!

But some might argue that it might be a more sustainable business that 1%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

Last minute cancellation happen all the time, you can have all the contracts that you want but good luck getting paid the cancellation fee.

Do get email confirmation, have the moral highground and As you build you clients just drop the ones that cancel.

A 50% cancellation for stuff cancelled within less than 2 weeks is probably fair or a small trader.

Advertisement