Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Arctic MC001

Options
  • 05-06-2014 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I got one of those Arctic MC001's back when they were all the rage, however the time has come to replace it. I like the simplicity of the thing (just bunged in an SSD and some RAM), and Openelec runs well on it. However a few things are bugging me and will make me replace it:

(i) Couldn't ever get it to WOL
    (ii) It gets really warm
    (iii) Its huge (relatively speaking)
    (iv) It keeps turning itself on randomly

I like the idea of the NUC or something of that scale. I know you get loads of these threads asking what to buy, so sorry for being annoying......

What I'm after is:

(i) Something small and tidy (NUC-ish)
    (ii) Will run Openelec fast and silent
    (iii) Can be controlled by a remote (include power on/off)
    (iv) Can reuse the components from the Arctic

While I'm ok with setting up Openelec etc, the finer points of modding it to get things like IR receivers to work are a bit beyond me I think. I wanted to keep away from Windows as I assume (maybe incorrectly) it will be slower to boot, will need to open XBMC etc after it turns on - but happy to be corrected if thats not the case.

Any advice?. I don't mind spending a few quid to get the right setup, and ideally it will last a few years.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

ArthurG wrote: »
    Hi,

I got one of those Arctic MC001's back when they were all the rage, however the time has come to replace it. I like the simplicity of the thing (just bunged in an SSD and some RAM), and Openelec runs well on it. However a few things are bugging me and will make me replace it:

(ii) It gets really warm

I like the idea of the NUC or something of that scale. I know you get loads of these threads asking what to buy, so sorry for being annoying......

What I'm after is:

(i) Something small and tidy (NUC-ish)
    (ii) Will run Openelec fast and silent
    (iii) Can be controlled by a remote (include power on/off)
    (iv) Can reuse the components from the Arctic

While I'm ok with setting up Openelec etc, the finer points of modding it to get things like IR receivers to work are a bit beyond me I think. I wanted to keep away from Windows as I assume (maybe incorrectly) it will be slower to boot, will need to open XBMC etc after it turns on - but happy to be corrected if thats not the case.

Any advice?. I don't mind spending a few quid to get the right setup, and ideally it will last a few years.

Thanks in advance!!

Havent much to add other than I am still happy with my arctic!!

I also have a Raspberry PI which works perfect for openelec if you might consider one of those...

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

I have the MC001 too. Great little machine
    I didn't have any problem setting up wol. I think there was a bios setting change. I'll look it up later.
    (ii) It gets really warm
    Sure does but that's how it can be literally silent - no fan noise
    Not really if you compare it to most htpc builds
    ok I can't say I've experienced that one.

I think you're going have a hard time finding a machine that will warrant moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Hi,

Thanks in advance!!

This happens me sometimes but its because the Sky remote setup for controlling the TV uses the same IR frequency as the Arctic...only happens sometimes tho...i just leave it on and it turns itself off again (15 min shutdown set on mine)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

In case this helps:

According to Amazon feedback/reviews you "Have to turn off the European setting to get WOL to work "

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I just ordered a replacement for my Pii which has been fantastic but lack of browser really is a big downpoint for me.
    I just ordered a MINIX-NEO-X8-H from geekbuying.com . It wont arrive for a few weeks but the specs look promising.
    It won't reuse any of your components but at €114 I dont think its specs can be beaten. Hope it lives up to the hype!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

That looks surprisingly good, keen to hear how you get on. Did you order a remote or just use app?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

That looks surprisingly good, keen to hear how you get on. Did you order a remote or just use app?

Comes with a remote (when ordering from geekbuying) which I'll use in Chrome mostly, also has HDMI CEC so my TV remote should work for XBMC as is, same as the Pii

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I'm running OpenElec on an Intel NUC DN2820FYKH purchased from Tranquil PC and I would highly recommend it over any Android or Windows boxes tbh. I've used XBMC on android and Windows but this beats everything I've used before hands down.

kyub wrote: »
    I'm running OpenElec on an Intel NUC DN2820FYKH purchased from Tranquil PC and I would highly recommend it over any Android or Windows boxes tbh. I've used XBMC on android and Windows but this beats everything I've used before hands down.

Do you have it working with a remote - particularly power on / off?

Yes, I'm using an Xbox 360 Media Remote... this one here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Media-Remote-Xbox-360/dp/B005F28GYU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402225385&sr=8-1&keywords=xbox+media+remote&tag=fczbkkcom04-21

It's not a great remote tbh, but it does the job to switch on/off. I also use the Yatse android app when needed once the system is booted up.

• Advertisement

kyub wrote: »
    Yes, I'm using an Xbox 360 Media Remote... this one here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Media-Remote-Xbox-360/dp/B005F28GYU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402225385&sr=8-1&keywords=xbox+media+remote&tag=fczbkkcom04-21

It's not a great remote tbh, but it does the job to switch on/off. I also use the Yatse android app when needed once the system is booted up.

Thanks. Which version of Openelec are you using?. Did you have to do any fiddly stuff to get the remote working??

Nope, no fiddly stuff to get it working. The IR drivers are already built into OpenElec.

Got the NUC that Kyub suggested, works perfectly, thanks for the advice :)

Advertisement