Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating a kitchen extension

Options
  • 04-06-2014 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭

To the regular quailifed posters..

May get a kitchen extension in my own house, approx 20 × 12-14 With the kitchen both sides, ive no space for rad/s. I hate kickboard heaters. Not very effective and need to be cleaned and with dogs it will be full of hair.

Any other options that might work for me?

Cheers
    SP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

May get a kitchen extension in my own house, approx 20 × 12-14 With the kitchen both sides, ive no space for rad/s. I hate kickboard heaters. Not very effective and need to be cleaned and with dogs it will be full of hair.

Cheers
    SP

Any space for a solo rad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭spireland32

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Any space for a solo rad?

No! Might have to redesign!

What are other people's opinions on kickboard heaters?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

UF?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

Cheers
    SP

A woodpellet Roomheating Stove is ideal for situations like this. Very cheap to run and easy to manage. Can time to come on or off by itself and only top up every day or two. Thermostatically controlled heating so you set the temperature you want and no need for a conventional chimney.

DGOBS wrote: »
    UF?

Maybe. Dont have a regular routine so need quick heat up. Obviously rads are great for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

No! Might have to redesign!

What are other people's opinions on kickboard heaters?

Absolutely fine. If they are well designed and correctly installed with a variable speed switch you are using dead space to heat at floor level which is ideal. Don't put in front the sink etc.
    I have dogs and I have no dog hair in there!! If I did it would be because I didn't do some simple maintenance but I think that is nonsense as there are foam filters. Make sure all the holes under your units are sealed up from the heating pipes wherever they come from and the drains etc under the sink which go through the wall. I have insulated under the cupboards so it is not drawing heat from the room.
    Everyone on here bangs on about "fan radiators" and this is the one place they actually work. Exactly the same principle but I would not fit on any other open wall space as it is a waste of power.

Great thanks for your input. What brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

If it is an extension then I presume it is a single storey one?
    A friend of mine recommends using a ceiling mounted air conditioner unit, which can also heat if required.

Advertisement