Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you work in Ireland with a Scottish degree

Options
  • 04-06-2014 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

I've been offered a place in Scotland to study children's and young people's B-nursing which is a 3 year course.

Some people I've spoke to have said that I can't work in Ireland with a Scottish degree, is that true? I have to decide by tomorrow whether I'm taking it or not so I'm a bit worried

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Since the late 80's, the EU has had mutual recognition of professional qualifications - I am a pharmacist in Ireland with a degree from RGU in Aberdeen.

Contact the registration body (An Bord Altranais?) and ask the specifics of how to register with that degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

RGU is where I might be going actually.

Thanks I'll look into it, the PDF on ANA's page seems to say you need 4 years though

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Since the late 80's, the EU has had mutual recognition of professional qualifications
    While this applies to the OP, AFAIK it only applies to nurses, doctors and maybe pharmacists. Other healthcare professionals are not part of the agreement.
    Edit: the 7 professions that qualify for automatic regognition: http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/qualifications/directive_in_practice/automatic_recognition/index_en.htm

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 4 coco9191

two of my friends are currently in scotland doing a postgrad in general nursing (they would have originally done mental health nursing here in ireland) it is most definitely recognised. i am a nurse myself and know LOADS of irish nurses who have studied both undergraduate and postgraduate nursing courses in Scotland and have come back with no problems registering with an bord altranais.some of these nurses are both staff nurses and clinical nurse managers etc. i myself am looking to do the postgrad in children's nursing in edinburgh next year. best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 marzipan1991

Hi, I am currently in my last few weeks of my nursing course in London and am wanting to go home once i have finished. Does anyone know how long it would take for my Irish pin to come through before I could start working? And could i apply for work now even without having my pin i know people in London who have jobs got for September without have a pin just wondering if its the same at home (Ireland)

• Advertisement
Advertisement