Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow PS4 download speeds

Options
  • 04-06-2014 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

War thunder update is currently downloading at about 1mb every 2-3 seconds. Tested my connection and the speed is 33mb/s. Anyone know why it's downloading so slow?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

ps network seems slow for me alot, especially as soon as a new update appears as everyone will be downloading it at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tesco TripleChicken

sugarman wrote: »
    Wireless?

yep so is my laptop though and I get speeds of 50mb/s. I dont think the actual DL speed is the issue, maybe it's just that there's so many people downloading the same thing at once?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I find that wifi on the ps4 is atrocious. If I connect with Ethernet I get my full internet speed. It is the exact same as the PS3 in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tesco TripleChicken

lertsnim wrote: »
    I find that wifi on the ps4 is atrocious. If I connect with Ethernet I get my full internet speed. It is the exact same as the PS3 in that regard.

I only get like 12mb/s on PS3, thought it might be something to do with the old wireless card inside it.

Probably is but the PS4 also seems to have a poor one. At least mine does anyway.

• Advertisement

Had the same issue recently downloading the update for Wolfenstein: The New Order. The download was crawling along at near dial up speeds, I ended up having to leave it until another day. Funnily enough the day I did continue to download the update and found the speed had improved was the day that Watch Dogs was released.

I think the PSN servers are limiting bandwidth when there is an excessive amount of people all trying to download the same files.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

War thunder update is currently downloading at about 1mb every 2-3 seconds. Tested my connection and the speed is 33mb/s. Anyone know why it's downloading so slow?

Try changing your DNS to Google DNS or open DNS, see if it makes a difference....

I got those plugs that send the internet connection over the power lines and the speed I get now is at least 5 times faster than WiFi. I don't believe for one second that the slow speeds were related to the PSN servers. I'm convinced it is because of a rubbish wireless card in the PS4.

lertsnim wrote: »
    I got those plugs that send the internet connection over the power lines and the speed I get now is at least 5 times faster than WiFi. I don't believe for one second that the slow speeds were related to the PSN servers. I'm convinced it is because of a rubbish wireless card in the PS4.

I got them aswell, and I agree, the WiFi card in the PS4 is brutal, so much so Sony have fixed it and the next model number of PS4 has a much better one in it....

The perils of early adoption.... :-)

http://gamingbolt.com/ps4-new-model-passes-fcc-certification

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Wifi performance leaves a lot to be desired. Ended up getting powerline adapters. Speeds are good on it on everything except the PS.

• Advertisement

Wifi performance leaves a lot to be desired. Ended up getting powerline adapters. Speeds are good on it on everything except the PS.

What speeds would you be getting on your PS?

I had an update for BF4 on PS4 the other day, on a 50mb line I'd say it took about 6 or 7 minutes, 1.3gb I think....

Are your ports open on the router etc?

Advertisement