Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beginner drivers in the north!

• 04-06-2014 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hello, this September I'm going to college in Coleraine in Derry and I'm from Westmeath. I had planned to do the theory test, get driving lessons, get a car fully taxed with insurance this summer as I've the money saved.
    Buuuuuut there's one thing that I didn't know about til recently... I'm aware that here in the Republic the law is that for the first two years learner drivers can only drive with someone with a full licence (although it doesn't seem to be too strictly enforced). However in Northern Ireland the rule is slightly different, I'm not sure how so but apparently I wouldn't be able to drive up there at all for the first two years.
    Could someone please explain to me what exactly the laws in NI are relating to learner drivers? Is there any possible way I get around it? I've heard something about doing an intensive driving course and getting an "R" plate but again I'm not completely sure how the whole thing works...
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Sorry, I don't know a thing about driving up North, but you mentioned having to drive with someone for the first two years of having a learner permit in the Republic. That is not true. For as long as you have a learner permit, you have to have another driver with you at all times.

That driver must have had their full license for at least two years. (Perhaps that is where you got the two years from.) It used to be that you could not drive unaccompanied on your first learner permit, but you could on your second. That rule changed several years ago. You can now not drive unaccompanied at all, until you pass you test & get your full license. Whether that takes you 6 months, 2 years or 6 years, or whether you are on your first, second or third learner permit is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You must have passed your test to drive in NI, end of.

An 'R' plate means you have passed your test. It means 'Restricted'. Sort of like a probation plate you have to display for a certain time to let other drivers know you have recently passed your test and give you a wide berth! You have a max speed limit whilst on a R plate.

You could do an extensive driving course over the space of a few weeks and try to pass your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 GaryB94

ProudDUB wrote: »
    For as long as you have a learner permit, you have to have another driver with you at all times.

That driver must have had their full license for at least two years. (Perhaps that is where you got the two years from.) It used to be that you could not drive unaccompanied on your first learner permit, but you could on your second. That rule changed several years ago. You can now not drive unaccompanied at all, until you pass you test & get your full license. Whether that takes you 6 months, 2 years or 6 years, or whether you are on your first, second or third learner permit is irrelevant.

I see... is it 6 months you have to wait until you can attempt your driving test? And then if you pass will you have a full licence?
    NIMAN wrote: »
    An 'R' plate means you have passed your test. It means 'Restricted'. Sort of like a probation plate you have to display for a certain time to let other drivers know you have recently passed your test and give you a wide berth! You have a max speed limit whilst on a R plate.

You could do an extensive driving course over the space of a few weeks and try to pass your test.

Yeah I was made aware of the the restricted plate by a northern friend, isn't it that the speed limit is 45m/h and you can't drive on motorways? Is it the same as it is here where you wait 6 months, attempt the test and then in this case you have the "R" plate? How does one progress from the "R" plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

GaryB94 wrote: »
    I see... is it 6 months you have to wait until you can attempt your driving test? And then if you pass will you have a full licence?

Yeah I was made aware of the the restricted plate by a northern friend, isn't it that the speed limit is 45m/h and you can't drive on motorways? Is it the same as it is here where you wait 6 months, attempt the test and then in this case you have the "R" plate? How does one progress from the "R" plate?

You get the 'R' plate when you pass your test. It means you are qualified to drive on your own on the roads.

How do you progress? It is a time based thing how long you are meant to keep it up, can't remember what the time is, I would guess at 1 year.

And yes you aren't allowed on motorways and cannot drive faster than 45mph for whatever that time period is.

My test was 20 years ago, so some of these details may have changed slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

You cannot drive on ROI Roads unaccompanied UNTIL you have passed your test.

You cannot drive at all on NI roads until you have passed your ROI test, accompanied or not, and the PSNI are allot stricter than the Guards when it comes to to the rules of the road.

Your just going to have to try and pass your test here as soon as possible after the 6 month period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

GaryB94 wrote: »

Yes, in the Republic you can not sit your test until you have had your learner permit for at least 6 months AND you have done 12 EDT lessons with an approved ADI instructor. Once you sit and pass your test, you'll have a full license, after you go into your local NDLS centre and submit the paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 GaryB94

Ok, thanks for the quick replies and the clarification, appreciated!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just for clarification sake. A Learner Permit, is only valid in the republic, it is not valid outside the state. So driving up north would be the same as driving completely without a license, and would incur severe repercussions.

Advertisement