Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do

Options
  • 04-06-2014 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My friends husband works in a large multinational and he is part of a team of 4/5 one of the team has the title of senior officer who works 20 hours a week by choice and the rest officer including my friends husband even though has a degree a professional qualification and a qualification in the area he works in making him the most qualified he is in the company 12 years 5 years in current role/area.

At his last appraisal he raised the question of a promotion to senior officer and his boss say he was due on as his pay is out of sync with the rest of the team and told him his co worker who he manages is on 8 k less then him. While my friends husband has the most clients to look after is manager to the guy who on 8 k less then him and is involved in all new business that comes in and results in them been clients so that more clients for him A month later she emailed him saying a job was been advertised and she didn't want to make assumptions but he was the likely successful candidate.

However its now three months on from that email and no job been advertised however in the mean time he has been given a difficult client that another member of the team made a mes off and now after a couple of weeks this client has sent a letter praising him for ironing out all issues and they look forward to a much improved working relationship which his boss and MD praised him for. He been put forward for a couple of awards within the global side of the company also but alas no promotion and there a freeze on pay since 2012. According to her the rest of the time do their core hours and no overtime and because of his workload the his inability to say no he does a large number of unpaid overtime.

My question on her behalf is should the husband sit it out and wait or question what is going on?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

OP, I found your post rather hard to understand due to the lack of punctuation but what did jump out at me was your friend's husband's lack of ability to say no and general lack of assertiveness by the sounds of it.

Perhaps, this is contributing to his being overlooked for promotions and pay rises. You can be a very productive worker (as recognised by the awards and nominations he received) but there is a fine line where you can be taken advantage of for it if you lack assertion or conversely, where you can rapidly rise the grade and salary scale by combining your good work ethic with assertiveness, strong leadership, taking initiative and being able to justifiably say no where appropriate to do so. Sounds like your friend's husband is in the former camp.

A clue to this is having his wife's friend posting here on his behalf - why is he not proactively finding solutions to his issue himself?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I took from your post that while your friends husband works hard and is part of a team, he feels that because he is there the longest and the most qualified he deserves a rise?

On the other hand he was told of a vacancy coming up, which hasn't so I'd follow up on that tbh

What are his main drivers for this?

I'd tend to view his role as the senior on the team he's on managing a group of people as having the sort of responsibilities he has

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yes I believe also he should follow up on the vacancy as the boss more of less promised it to him. She also told him he the only member of the team that the office trust to get issues sorted.

He is the Senior Member of team in all but name, he does all the tasks the senior member should do but doesn't as she does 20 hours a week and has 8 client and he has 26 clients plus new take ons. In addition he leads the team in that he assigns out work holidays and is the direct manager for one person. But is deputy manager again without the title to the rest of the team except the Senior Officer.

He feels that he Should be given the Senior Officer Title as he doing the role and the lady who has the title is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

If there is hassle with getting titles another option would be for him to ask for to be get a pay rise to the "senior manager" rate but not have the title.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The Friend wrote: »
    Yes I believe also he should follow up on the vacancy as the boss more of less promised it to him. She also told him he the only member of the team that the office trust to get issues sorted.

He is the Senior Member of team in all but name, he does all the tasks the senior member should do but doesn't as she does 20 hours a week and has 8 client and he has 26 clients plus new take ons. In addition he leads the team in that he assigns out work holidays and is the direct manager for one person. But is deputy manager again without the title to the rest of the team except the Senior Officer.

He feels that he Should be given the Senior Officer Title as he doing the role and the lady who has the title is not.

Stop doing her work, raise a grievance that this situation has arisen and see what happens?

He's essentially allowing her to do nothing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement