Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove and oil boiler

Options
  • 04-06-2014 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I am looking at fitting a stanley 8 back into the kitchen. I am wondering what way it can be plumbed in as our rads and water is heated via an oil back boiler. Can the two systems be plumbed together.
    I am fairly good at diy and have done a bit of plumbing over the years but boilers is something I havent done before. The system at the mo is a sealed system and I am wondering can I run the pipes for the stanley across the first floors flooring or will this cause an issue.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

theredx19 wrote: »
    I am looking at fitting a stanley 8 back into the kitchen. I am wondering what way it can be plumbed in as our rads and water is heated via an oil back boiler. Can the two systems be plumbed together.
    I am fairly good at diy and have done a bit of plumbing over the years but boilers is something I havent done before. The system at the mo is a sealed system and I am wondering can I run the pipes for the stanley across the first floors flooring or will this cause an issue.
    Thanks in advance

Yes the 2 systems can be used together. When using solid fuel, it cannot be on a sealed system.
    Solid fuel is extremely dangerous and should not be installed by a diy'er, no matter how competent they think they are

• Registered Users Posts: 29 theredx19

If it was to be done would it mean turning the oil boiler into an open circuit system.

If it was to be done would it mean turning the oil boiler into an open circuit system.

There are ways to have one sealed and the other open vented but only a competent plumber should carry out the works. If done incorrectly, you are literally making a bomb

Dtp1979 I am taking in all of your advice and I will talk to a plumber as I was just curious to what would be needed as my plan was to have all the hard work done and let him hook it up then.

Dtp1979 I am taking in all of your advice and I will talk to a plumber as I was just curious to what would be needed as my plan was to have all the hard work done and let him hook it up then.

The only hard work installing a stove is lifting it onto the hearth

• Advertisement

Well just to have the pipes layed as there is no plumbing there for the stove yet. But you are right about lifting it up as I lifted in a stanley 8 on my own before.

Well just to have the pipes layed as there is no plumbing there for the stove yet. But you are right about lifting it up as I lifted in a stanley 8 on my own before.

Laying the pipes is a very important part of solid fuel installation.
    Pipe size, pipe supports, the distance from the boiler, the rise needed on the pipe, insulation and the amount of 315's used are all an important factor when laying solid fuel pipes. That's why is not a DIY job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

Don't forget flue requirements for the solid fuel appliance, ventilation requirements, both oil boiler & solid fuel appliance combined expansion size requirements (both open vented, I'm referring to).
    Pump locations in relation to f & e & vent.
    All these must be considered & provided for, so just a wee chat with a plumber & think you are dandy will most likely end in tears.

Advertisement