Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salary questions

Options
  • 04-06-2014 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Dear all,

I have been looking at this forum for the past one week and all the posts are extremely helpful and informative. I have several questions to all the important members here. But I think i will just post the first couple of questions today.

A little background:

I have done my PhD (in Statistics) from an eminent institution in US and have worked for a large pharma company for 3 years now as a Senior Biostatistician. I am settled in India. Lately I am looking at an opportunity to move to Ireland (Dublin) base for this company at the same position. I have a family (wife + 1 baby 6 months old).

Question 1:

With this background what kind of salary will I be looking for in Dublin? Is EUR 50K+ gross income reasonable for this position? I am assuming with 50K gross I will have 38K take home. Is that correct?

Question 2:

My biggest expenses right now are

Rent
    Car EMI + Petrol
    Grocery
    Bills (phone+electricity+cable+internet)
    Baby diapers + formula

If I maintain the same lifestyle I think I will have the following figures per month in Dublin.

Rent (EUR 1300) (We don't want to share)
    Car EMI (EUR 200) + Petrol (EUR 120)
    Grocery (EUR 500) (This includes everything from potatoes to soaps and shampoo)
    Bills (phone+electricity+cable+internet) (EUR 200)
    Baby diapers + formula (EUR 120) (assuming 8 diapers/day and 400g formula/3 days)

This is like EUR 2440. Another EUR 200 for doctor etc.

I don't see any other big expense for us. We don't socialize much or eat out.

Does this break up look good to you guys? Any input/suggestion will be helpful.

Thanks to all the members. You have been very informative so far.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No idea what you would earn with your job.
    €50k is €34,869 take home (€2,906 per month), bit more if you are using your wifes tax credits (ie she isn't working).
    If she is not then that is childcare bills taken care of. Breakdown doesn't seem wildly off anywhere to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Glassdoor is a good website for salary info.
    If its an internal move will you any room to neg a salary ? I'd try and figure that out.
    Also see where in dublin you would be working , a city centre location could be difficult for a family.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You'd first need to get a visa to work here, assuming you are a non Eu National.

Forget about moving here if that is the case unless you have seriously essential skills, and at the salary range you are suggesting, I cannot imagine you would get a visa on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 euIE

Dear all,

Thanks for all your comments/feedback.

Just to clarify, yes this will be an internal move. Company will take care of work permit. Company has not provided me a salary quote, but I am trying to see if EUR 50K will be an OK salary for me so that I can negotiate further on the basis of that.

@InReality: Company is located in Elm Park. Any neighborhood that will be OK to live in on this salary? I will not have a car immediately, so I have to rely on tram/bus/train.

@Stheno: Is 50K salary OK to live comfortably?

With my projected expense listed below I don't see I am saving anything on 50K salary. I am a little worried about that. Is it doable with a baby and not have a car?

Rent (EUR 1300) (We don't want to share)
    Car EMI (EUR 200) + Petrol (EUR 120)
    Grocery (EUR 500) (This includes everything from potatoes to soaps and shampoo)
    Bills (phone+electricity+cable+internet) (EUR 200)
    Baby diapers + formula (EUR 120) (assuming 8 diapers/day and 400g formula/3 days)
    Misc. (EUR 200)

It seems any salary below 60K is not good if you have a family and earn alone. Is that correct?

Thanks all. Looking forward to more inputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

With very little knowledge of the industry, I would of thought 50K would be a little on the light for a PhD and 3 years experience, but this only comes from a recently graduated PhD friend who is aiming for more than that starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Knowing the company you are referring to, the hiring campaign they're on at the moment and working in the same industry myself, I would be pushing for at least 55K. Depending on the size, phase, number of trials you've managed and if you've managed a team, I'd potentially push for closer to 65K.

Certainly these would be my thoughts if I was an external hire though you may have less scope to negotiatie with an internal move.

Loads of nice areas to live nearby, even within walking distance. You're also close to the train and a few bus links so if you only wanted a car for the purposes of your commute, you could live further out and potentially save on transport and rent costs.

Advertisement