Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumia Screen Replacement

Options
  • 03-06-2014 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

So the day has finally come, that after countless spills, the glass on my Lumia 920 has bitten the bullet. Or the concrete.

I don't want to risk doing it on the cheap but I was quoted €180 by fonfix which seems very OTT. I've decided to look around and was hoping anyone here had a recommendation from a positive experience?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Is the lcd gone or just the touch?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Sorry, just the glass is shattered, but all of the touch functions work perfectly.
    but what I read said that the two are fused?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Sorry, just the glass is shattered, but all of the touch functions work perfectly.
    but what I read said that the two are fused?

You could get a digitizer on its own if that's all you needed for a cheap fix. I would try the nokia care points and get a price. :> http://www.nokia.com/ie-en/support/care-point/

It might be better to put the €180 towards a new one rather than giving it to mprc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Got my wife's 820 digitiser replaced by a Nokia care point for €70 and would have no problem recommending them.

Edit: Just seen you have a 920 so yours will probably be a bit dearer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

You could buy a 920 on adverts.ie for 180

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

DIY

I've done a few at this stage. Once you get over the "oh sh1t oh sh1t oh sh1t" phase it's pretty simple and there are loads of videos on the tube to show you how to do it.

Davy wrote: »
    You could get a digitizer on its own if that's all you needed for a cheap fix. I would try the nokia care points and get a price. :> http://www.nokia.com/ie-en/support/care-point/

It might be better to put the €180 towards a new one rather than giving it to mprc

Is the digitiser the component underneath the glass that responds to the touch? Or have they just given a fancy name to it?

@paulieC; are there not a variety of risks associated with doing it yourself? Dust etc?

Is the digitiser the component underneath the glass that responds to the touch? Or have they just given a fancy name to it?

@paulieC; are there not a variety of risks associated with doing it yourself? Dust etc?

The digitizer is the glass component that converts your touch into an action. The LCD underneath is what displays the information.

As regards risks, if you are reasonably proficient with your hands then there are minimal risks. If you get to a stage where you feel you aren't confident about going on, then just reverse the process. As for dust, I think you'll find that if you keep your phone in your pocket it's probably already full of dust.
    Honestly, it's a pretty simple task to achieve. Watch the video first to see if you think you'd be able for it. I promise you, once you do it once you'll be smashing the screen on purpose to do it again*

* that last sentence may be a lie.

PaulieC wrote: »

Honestly, it's a pretty simple task to achieve. Watch the video first to see if you think you'd be able for it. I promise you, once you do it once you'll be smashing the screen on purpose to do it again*

* that last sentence may be a lie.
    Well, how would you like to make a couple of quid!?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,003 ✭✭✭✭unkel

long_b wrote: »
    You could buy a 920 on adverts.ie for 180

Or even less. I bought my unlocked 920 on adverts.ie a few months ago for €150.

• Advertisement

Well, how would you like to make a couple of quid!?

No problem (depending on location of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Kevin Moran

Did you get this sorted?

Did you get this sorted?

I'm afraid not man.
    Lowest quote I got was €110 with the highest being €180.

One shop said he's do it for €10-€20 if I provided to digitizer +lcd myself.
    So that's the next port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

Hi, I got mine repaired in a shop in Harolds Cross, Dublin 2,(small shop near Headline pub) for €40.00. Fixed within five minutes. I had gotten mad quotes ie. €180.00, the lowest being €€90.00. A friend recommended this guy and he is great. That was two months ago and it is working perfectly ! Hope that helps :)

Well, if anyone is still interested, I got this sorted through the Nokia care point in Galway.
    Their quotes were basically the same as what the shopping centre stalls were asking, but they were using genuine Nokia parts and a guarantee.
    Was posted back with next day delivery so I wasn't even two and a half days without the phone.

Delighted with the service and can't recommend them enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,003 ✭✭✭✭unkel

So how much did they charge, €110?

Advertisement