Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumia 800 to a 520/630

Options
  • 03-06-2014 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭

Is it worth it? Is there many new apps coming to Windows devices, mainly banking services, and would it be upgradable to 8.1. Have been thinking of going to an android device, but the current offers on the lumias are kinda tempting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Is it worth it? Is there many new apps coming to Windows devices, mainly banking services, and would it be upgradable to 8.1. Have been thinking of going to an android device, but the current offers on the lumias are kinda tempting.

For the value of the 520, it is most definitely worth it. It is fully upgradeable to 8.1 (I have my dad's 520 on 8.1 and works perfectly).

There is no banking services as of yet but request them to develop one on twitter. I have asked and will continue to ask.

Windows phone is at 10.3% market share in Ireland right now so they cannot ignore it for much longer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Have you a budget in mind?

Why not go for something slightly newer, like the 630. If you have a little more to spend you could look at the 930.

I wouldn't jump to the 520 at this point, from another lumia. Its ideal for a cheap first lumia to try the OS out imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

If you are with o2, they are doing a €20 off Pay as you go phones. You could get the 630 for 119.
    But the 520 is excellent value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Either way, any Windows Phone 8 device you choose will be a lot faster than you're used to - everything is a lot faster.

As others have mentioned, I'd also recommend the Lumia 630 as it's brand new and runs Windows Phone 8.1 which has a TON of new features. Just be aware, it has no front-facing camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

bidiots wrote: »
    If you are with o2, they are doing a €20 off Pay as you go phones. You could get the 630 for 119.
    But the 520 is excellent value for money.

Wonder would they give me a trade in on mine on top of that discount?

Was told could get €22 for the 800 against ANY phone in store.

The 630 is starting to look more appealing. Does not appear to be 4G ready though, although with parts of the country still not having 3G dont think it would much of an issue.

• Advertisement

Wonder would they give me a trade in on mine on top of that discount?

Was told could get €22 for the 800 against ANY phone in store.

The 630 is starting to look more appealing. Does not appear to be 4G ready though, although with parts of the country still not having 3G dont think it would much of an issue.

I think the 20 off is online only so Im not sure if they would do it in conjunction with another deal, no harm in asking.
    The 630 comes in a few variants, the standard model on the o2 site, a dual sim and a LTE or 4G version. I think you'd have to use Amazon.de or even look to China for the other versions. Seems like a nice piece of kit for the money, 512mb Ram been the biggest drawback.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

bidiots wrote: »
    I think the 20 off is online only so Im not sure if they would do it in conjunction with another deal, no harm in asking.
    The 630 comes in a few variants, the standard model on the o2 site, a dual sim and a LTE or 4G version. I think you'd have to use Amazon.de or even look to China for the other versions. Seems like a nice piece of kit for the money, 512mb Ram been the biggest drawback.

Looked into it. They wont offer me the double discount, but what I can do is pay the full online price, then send off my old phone, then on inspection, they will credit my account with up to €29.

You could throw it on adverts to see if you can get anymore for it, there basically giving you 9 quid for it, so anymore than 15 from adverts means your winning :)

Advertisement