Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audiogram help in Dublin

Options
  • 03-06-2014 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

Mam has been having a bit of deafness coming on gradually she always in the past used to get them syringed but think there is more of a problem now re conversations and tv. I went to the Doctor today who said to get one syringed so will go with her this week to get it done. But Dr wrote out a letter also for an Audiogram to be done as there is a long waiting list to see an ear surgeon. I rem her saying Bon Secours and some other place but cant remember name. Mam is on medical card so dont know where she could get it done for free or how much it is. I live in north Dublin so just wondering if anyone has any recommendations ie Beaumont or any other place north Dublin or in town. Just would like to get it done as want to know if she needs a hearing aid yet or not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭210

When I first went to the doctor with a similar problem after checking for wax or an infection the next thing I think they usually give a go is decongestant nasal sprays to see if this clears the problem over a few weeks. After a few weeks the problem didnt clear up and i went back to my surgery and the practice nurse did a very basic little hearing test with a small beep machine (not much bigger than a mobile phone) in each ear. The result of this basic test shows if you have an issue such as reduced hearing in one ear. It was on the basis of this very quick little test that the doctor refered me on to the ear nose and throat consultant. I wonder if this is what the doctor meant for your mum to come back if the probem persisted for ahearing test. I would ring up your local surgery again and ask if the surgery can do hearing checks at the request of doctor. My local surgery is very small and they have the facility - the test is very basic. When you get refered the first thing the ENT service will do is a more advanced test to see the nature of the problem. I dont think my wait was very long possibly a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

At last Mam got a letter for an audiogram in Beaumont on 1st July so will get the ball rolling anyway.

Advertisement