Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice for taking the Theory Test?

Options
  • 03-06-2014 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hello Everyone! :D I was wondering if anyone had any advice on taking the Theory test, I've heard to read the book and then do loads of practice questions with the CD

Does anyone want to share their wisdom to make it easier on me haha xD
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

That's it really. The answers are in the book and the practice questions. Unfortunately there's no magic solution except study for it.

When you're doing the test and are stuck on a question just think 'common sense' and pick the most realistic answer.

Relax and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Hello Everyone! :D I was wondering if anyone had any advice on taking the Theory test, I've heard to read the book and then do loads of practice questions with the CD

I recently done the theory test for the motorbike &

~ bought the disc, but no book
    ~ done 5 practice tests with the disc
    ~ had no notion about any specific motorbike queries until they appeared at random during my mock-tests

~ passed theory test first time.

I'm not sure how much easier than that it could've been for me,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You don't need the book, if you already have the CD disc. The disc has the same questions as the book. You read them and then test yourself afterwards. It is great as it give you your % pass rate after each round, so you can see your progress for yourself.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

Rules of the Road book
    Theory Test CD

Best combo IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭anomynous

Does anyone know if the 2011 5th Edition is okay to study for doing your Theory Test this year? As in only having the 2011 disc to study, its says you can still use it on the official website but is it okay if I've only studied that one and not the new 6th edition one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mansoff

The 5th edition over 800 questions where as the 6th edition has less than 800 questions. The 5th edition has all the questions the 6th edition has and more so that is why if you use the 5th edition for the current theory test it will be fine but you are just studying more unnecessary questions.

The latest 6th edition is on the website quizglobal to study for free

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭anomynous

mansoff wrote: »
    The 5th edition over 800 questions where as the 6th edition has less than 800 questions. The 5th edition has all the questions the 6th edition has and more so that is why if you use the 5th edition for the current theory test it will be fine but you are just studying more unnecessary questions.

The latest 6th edition is on the website quizglobal to study for free

Thanks so much :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Bubblegum18

I know this thread is a few months old sorry if im posting in the wrong place but its just someone I know is going to start practising for their theory test they are using the 5th edition disc to practise, they asked me should they go and buy the 6th edition. I wasnt sure what to tell them I went on the website mentioned earlier quizglobal the questions are the same. The only thing is with this person they are not great on computers if they practised the 5th edition and the day of the test came if the layout looked different they could get all confused and painiced would be a shame if they failed due to that. I remember back in 2012 when I done my theory test I used the 5th edition disk it was exactlly the same layout as the test which was great. Is the 6th edition disc the exact same as the 5 edition layout or is it the same layout as it is on quiz global. If someone has the 6th edition disk would you mind posting a snapshot so I would know what the layout of the questions are like. Thanks!

Helpful replys would really be appriciated!

I know this thread is a few months old sorry if im posting in the wrong place but its just someone I know is going to start practising for their theory test they are using the 5th edition disc to practise, they asked me should they go and buy the 6th edition. I wasnt sure what to tell them I went on the website mentioned earlier quizglobal the questions are the same. The only thing is with this person they are not great on computers if they practised the 5th edition and the day of the test came if the layout looked different they could get all confused and painiced would be a shame if they failed due to that. I remember back in 2012 when I done my theory test I used the 5th edition disk it was exactlly the same layout as the test which was great. Is the 6th edition disc the exact same as the 5 edition layout or is it the same layout as it is on quiz global. If someone has the 6th edition disk would you mind posting a snapshot so I would know what the layout of the questions are like. Thanks!

Helpful replys would really be appriciated!

PC monitor : 1 question per page ; image on right-side with question on top, selection of answers underneath.
    Assure them as best you can not to worry about the format. Would them buying the book be an option they could take? All updated questions & info in there, the format of exam will be the same, just minor changes with the info between editions.
    Even if they just bought one of either the book or dvd, it would certainly ease their mind. They could sell it afterward then, once successful :)

Hope that helps,
    kerry4sam

Thanks 4 reply. I think the disc would b better for this person just it would b the same as the test. I wanted to post a snap shot question of the 5th edition but this site wont let me!! I tried but it wont allow it.

• Advertisement

Thanks 4 reply. I think the disc would b better for this person just it would b the same as the test. I wanted to post a snap shot question of the 5th edition but this site wont let me!! I tried but it wont allow it.

You're not far from the min required to post linkies. You could pm me if you like and I could throw it up for you :)

kerry4sam wrote: »
    You're not far from the min required to post linkies. You could pm me if you like and I could throw it up for you :)

Ah thanks kerry4sam il pm it to u now

Ah thanks kerry4sam il pm it to u now

Okay in event it may assist someone else: It's the same format as this image, except where images are included/needed to answer question - they are posted on right-hand side with answers moved further left :)

Again, I digress, the info would've changed between editions so they should buy either a new book or new dvd for the newer updated info.

Hope that helps,
    kerry4sam

rPBnFq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Westeros

Hi guys

I've been taking practice theory tests on the CD and I've noticed that some questions come up nearly every single time. Just wondering is this pure chance or are they the more important/likely questions that will come up?

Westeros wrote: »
    Hi guys

I've been taking practice theory tests on the CD and I've noticed that some questions come up nearly every single time. Just wondering is this pure chance or are they the more important/likely questions that will come up?

Such an easy test! If you study you will pass, didn't know anything about the roads but studied hard for 4 days and got 39/40

I recommend getting the CD! Brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Okay in event it may assist someone else: It's the same format as this image, except where images are included/needed to answer question - they are posted on right-hand side with answers moved further left :)

Again, I digress, the info would've changed between editions so they should buy either a new book or new dvd for the newer updated info.

Hope that helps,
    kerry4sam

rPBnFq.jpg

Is that genuinely a question from the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

Hi I was wondering is the actual test the exact same as the CD? As in the cd selects a certain number of questions from each category every time that is constant. Will this be the case on the actual test or could one category be half the questions for instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The CD rom covers all of the possible topics that could come up during the actual test. As long as the disc is a recent up to date one, there aren't going to be any surprise questions in the test, that you didn't get on the disc. During the test, the questions and categories are shuffled & you will be asked them at random, just like the mock tests on the disc. The theory test will cover a variety of topics. It won't focus on just one or two of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Even if you get a question you haven't seen before (barring the ones that need exact answers in km or whatever), if you use common sense with a heavy emphasis on safety you will usually guess the right answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

spurious wrote: »
    Even if you get a question you haven't seen before (barring the ones that need exact answers in km or whatever), if you use common sense with a heavy emphasis on safety you will usually guess the right answer.

Yeah found that out with the one or two that came up. Ended with with 39/40 in the end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement