Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult Swimming Lessons Southside Dublin

Options
  • 03-06-2014 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Anyone got recommendations? are the group classes a waste of time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

guile4582 wrote: »
    Anyone got recommendations? are the group classes a waste of time?

Over the years I had many failed attempts learning to swim as I was very nervous. Tried loads of places but eventually had success with the classes in Newtownpark Avenue pool, they got me from terrified to comfortable in the deep end and able to do lengths.

Alternatively my son was having no look with group classes and I sent him to private lessons in Mespil pool, the instructor was brilliant with him and had him swimming in three lessons, so while expensive per lesson we had great results so excellent value.

Good luck with your swimming!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

Quoted 4 lessons for €200 at Mespil. suppose that's the going rate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭COH

A colleague of mine does private swimming lessons I think she uses locations in the city centre and in Newtown park avenue. PM me if you would like me to pass on the details

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RosieP

I tried lessons a couple of years ago but was very nervous in the water and didn't make much progress. I recently started private lessons in the Mespil Pool and while it's early days I've so far found them excellent. They are €50 per lesson, or if you book 4 together it's €180.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

How long is each lesson in Mespil?
    usual 40-45min swim session?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I did lessons in Mespil a few years ago after a back injury.

That price sound about right - 45 minutes class. My instructor, Liz, was great, so patient. I can pm her number if you want it.

I didn't stick with it, which was no reflection on her. My heart just wasn't in it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

juke wrote: »
    I did lessons in Mespil a few years ago after a back injury.

That price sound about right - 45 minutes class. My instructor, Liz, was great, so patient. I can pm her number if you want it.

I didn't stick with it, which was no reflection on her. My heart just wasn't in it :o

+1 for Liz, it was her that taught my son

• Registered Users Posts: 14 John_the_smith

Energie fitness on Clarendon str has private and group lessons. My son did the group one and myself the private. For the private its 150 for 6 lessons 45-50 minutes each. hope this helps.

Energie fitness on Clarendon str has private and group lessons. My son did the group one and myself the private. For the private its 150 for 6 lessons 45-50 minutes each. hope this helps.

how were the lessons? i take it you would recommend? are they flexible with timings?

how were the lessons? i take it you would recommend? are they flexible with timings?

I had 2 different instructors and they were both very experienced and professional (never rescheduled/never late/heated pool). I would recommend them cause that's where I learned how to swim. I started as an absolute beginner and it only took me 6 lessons and then 6 more. I booked the extra 6 because I wanted to improve my technique a tad more :) When I was there you could book pretty much whenever you wanted. Good luck wherever you go, it's definitely worth it.

• Advertisement

I had 2 different instructors and they were both very experienced and professional (never rescheduled/never late/heated pool). I would recommend them cause that's where I learned how to swim. I started as an absolute beginner and it only took me 6 lessons and then 6 more. I booked the extra 6 because I wanted to improve my technique a tad more :) When I was there you could book pretty much whenever you wanted. Good luck wherever you go, it's definitely worth it.

cheers mate, sounds good. I just need technique improvement so this sounds good.

one more thing, when you say you had 2 different instructors I presume you mean
    same instructor for first lot of 6 and different one for second lot

cheers mate, sounds good. I just need technique improvement so this sounds good.

one more thing, when you say you had 2 different instructors I presume you mean
    same instructor for first lot of 6 and different one for second lot

no prob, ur welcome :)
    as for the instructors, exactly as you mention above.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Moved from Health & Fitness to Swimming (apologies for delay in moving this)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭seablue

Have you considered the Dublin City Council pools?

I cant post a link but look under 'recreation and culture' on the dublin city dot ie website.

I used to swim in the Markievicz pool. Never had a swimming lesson there but they only charge €15 for 1-to-1 lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭35cent

I did a private lesson in Mespil with a guy named Lorcan about 2 years ago. I only needed one to learn how to tread water. I thought the lesson was excellent so I would highly recommend there. Feels nice to be able to swim in deep water now.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Swan Leisure in Rathmines do Class and Private lessons. I swim there regularly.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Swan Leisure in Rathmines do Class and Private lessons. I swim there regularly.

I had my second private lesson there today. I bought a block of 5 for €150, otherwise they're €35 each. They last 30 minutes, which tbh is plenty of time, and you can stay in the pool for as long as you like afterwards to practice what you've learned.

I think my instructor is brilliant, very patient and encouraging. Would highly recommend!

Advertisement