Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused eh again??

Options
  • 03-06-2014 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I was researching on when I could go to hse, to inform them of intent to marry as in how long before I marry could I as we are getting married in Feb, but I got sidetracked on the list of stuff to bring along, where it said FEE 200e eh what now?? I didn't realize this at all I was expecting a fee but not that, im just wondering has anyone come across this and if so what exactly is the fee for, as it doesn't explain very well on site.

Thank you :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Between 3-6 months before your wedding date, you go into your local HSE office with your birth cert, passport and PSS number, fill out some forms, pay €200 and then you are officially registered to marry. It doesn't matter if it's a church or civil ceremony, you still need to register with the state.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

kkcatlou wrote: »
    Between 3-6 months before your wedding date, you go into your local HSE office with your birth cert, passport and PSS number, fill out some forms, pay €200 and then you are officially registered to marry. It doesn't matter if it's a church or civil ceremony, you still need to register with the state.

It has to be at least 3 months beforehand, but it doesn't need to be between 3 and 6 months. We're registering our intent next week but we're not getting married until August 2015.

And yes, the €200 is basically the fee to get married.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Sorry about that, I thought it was. But your date is only valid for 6 months from the date you give? That might be where I got confused?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

kkcatlou wrote: »
    Sorry about that, I thought it was. But your date is only valid for 6 months from the date you give? That might be where I got confused?!

Yeah, I think that could be it. Like if you say you're getting married on the 5th of June 2015, you might have 6 months leeway around then to change the date. But if you go to the HSE on the 15th of February 2015, the earliest you could get married is the 15th of May 2015. The appointment must be at least 3 months before the actual wedding date.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Faith wrote: »
    The appointment must be at least 3 months before the actual wedding date.

Just in case this helps anyone..

If you are living abroad you can register your intent to marry by post (photocopies of all the required documentation) at least 3 months in advance of your wedding date, and then attend the office in person closer to the time. You can pay the 200 euro fee over the phone once your documentation has been received by the registrar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

biddywiddy wrote: »
    Just in case this helps anyone..

If you are living abroad you can register your intent to marry by post (photocopies of all the required documentation) at least 3 months in advance of your wedding date, and then attend the office in person closer to the time. You can pay the 200 euro fee over the phone once your documentation has been received by the registrar.

That's what I did. Actually gave notice nine months before, flew in three months before and completed the paperwork.

That's what I did. Actually gave notice nine months before, flew in three months before and completed the paperwork.

We're just preparing to give notice now (about 7 months out) and we'll attend in person 9 days before the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

oh I just had my appointment today! They were really nice :)

So yes... you have to had over €200 & then you have to pay another €20 after you get married & submit your form back to actually get your marriage license! The registrar admitted himself its all money!

They were very helpful in Naas so if you have an issues, give your local HSE office a call & they will explain it all to you :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

biddywiddy wrote: »
    Very useful to know! :)

... turned out to be not so useful. Called up the registrar in Limerick there and she refused to allow us to make postal notification on the grounds that we don't live far enough away :mad:

• Advertisement

No way! That's crazy. Will you have to make a trip especially for the appointment?

Looks like it. I've asked my OH to try ringing them and ask the same thing, just in case a Limerick accent might elicit a more sympathetic response :pac:

Worth a try.

The Ennis Registrar was very accommodating, but then we would have to fly from the US and we don't have atrip to Ireland planned before Xmas.

She did warn that we are cutting it fine - our 'in person' appointment is the Monday before Xmas, and then the office closes. So if there are any issues with paperwork, there's very little time to sort it out. I did say we are willing to change our flights if necessary (we had them booked before we looked into wedding planning), but it seems that once our postal application is in order, and we show up to the appointment with the original documentation in order, then it should be fine. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

... turned out to be not so useful. Called up the registrar in Limerick there and she refused to allow us to make postal notification on the grounds that we don't live far enough away :mad:

Quick question, do ye live abroad? If not, you can register at any HSE registry office, doesn't have to be in the county you're getting married in. I've neighbours that live in Dublin, registered in Kildare and are getting married in Cork.

We live in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I don't understand that. I was living in London, when we had to give notice. At the time, I didn't realise that the process could be started by post as I wasn't living in Ireland. I was willing to make an appointment at the three month mark, but told it wasn't necessary. We gave notice and married in Cork.

I'd definitely query that.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

It seems a bit odd they'd say that, definitely query it, maybe even ring another office?

My OH rang up the Limerick office today and funnily enough it wasn't a problem for him, the postal forms are now winging their way to north London. I'm more than a little annoyed that it was simple for him but they were about as helpful as a punch in the face to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,686 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm more than a little annoyed that it was simple for him but they were about as helpful as a punch in the face to me.

Ya, I can sympathise, but clearly you understand the drill. Sucks, but, you just gotta keep going.

Advertisement