Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air to Water system

Options
  • 03-06-2014 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am currently lodging my planning application for a timber frame two storey home with 140mm studs, insulated service cavity & 50mm outer cavity pumped insulation. Add to that, triple glazed windows & hopefully we'll have a fairly warm home. The intermediate floor will have a screed finish for sound purposed only as Im not keen on using UFH. I would instead like to use a solid fuel stove with back boiler & Air to Water heat pump to heat rads. Has anybody any thoughts on this combination of heating system? Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭kieranhr

In theory, it could be a very economical system if you use the ATW to heat the water up to 25-30 degrees (underfloor heating range), and then the solid fuel stove to heat the water the rest of the way to radiator temperature.
    In practice, I don't know how you would set that up. You need a good plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bfinegan77

Thanks kieranhr,
    Ill have to look at this in more detail but that was what i was hoping to do. My intention was to use aluminium rads which require a lower hot water temp, but the combination of plumbing the two systems in tandem is what i need to investigate further.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jj58

It cost approx 5k to intragrate this properly, stove ,buffer tank, heat dump, pumps etc, maybe go with a free standing stove ,lit every day, plus u can reduce the curve on ur heat pump saving u on running costs, stove wud heat ur living area, bedrooms require lower temps,
    It wud take a while pay back if you proceeded with this,
    Also with the comfort of a heat pump you d prob get too lazy light a fire every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭froshtyv

bfinegan77 wrote: »
    I am currently lodging my planning application for a timber frame two storey home with 140mm studs, insulated service cavity & 50mm outer cavity pumped insulation. Add to that, triple glazed windows & hopefully we'll have a fairly warm home. The intermediate floor will have a screed finish for sound purposed only as Im not keen on using UFH. I would instead like to use a solid fuel stove with back boiler & Air to Water heat pump to heat rads. Has anybody any thoughts on this combination of heating system? Any advice would be much appreciated.

A stove and a heat pump are on the opposite ends of the scale from operating temperatures and technology.

For the cost to get that system integrated together, you would be best just choose one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 aust82

bfinegan77 wrote: »

Hi bfinegan what did you go with for your home if you don't mind me asking? I've a back boiler and am thinking of air to water heat pump or maybe oil if atw don't work out. I differ from you in that my house is 30 years old and has steel rads.
    Thanks Austin

• Advertisement
Advertisement