Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help identifying problem with apple tree

Options
  • 03-06-2014 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,699 ✭✭✭✭

Earlier this year we planted a young Cox.
    It started off well and new branches were growing.
    Over the last week however, brown spots have started appearing on the leaves.
    Does anyone know what might be causing these?

fny2j7.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I've seen that before but the closest anyone came to identifying it was "a bacterial infection".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,699 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'm afraid that it might be root rot, which is supposed to be untreatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

• Registered Users Posts: 28,194 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There are several things it could be and they are a bit difficult to tell apart. Chances are it is a fungal disease and spraying with an appropriate fungicide could help. However the most reliable thing would be to put a few leaves in a plastic bag (so they can be seen without being handled) and go back to the nursery where you bought the tree and ask for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I have two small apple trees (3rd year) and they both have brown spots on their leaves exactly the same as in op's photo. I remember reading something about Scab last year and that you have to spray against it early in the spring but I forgot this year. One of my trees is more affected than the other. I think the weaker one is "Katja" variety, and I can't remember the name of the other which seems to be naturally more resistant against this disease.
    I don't know whether scab affects fruiting but I tend to think that it might be the case because my trees were flowering like crazy and had loads of little apples set but later most of them had fallen off and now I can only count about 6 apples on each tree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,194 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, if it is scab it will definitely affect the fruit. I have a crab apple which is sometimes affected, then other years it is ok. There are no other trees around that are affected by scab so I don't worry about it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,699 ✭✭✭✭josip

Nursery has advised that it probably a fungal infection given the weather we had in April andMay and sold me a container of bordeaux mixture.

Advertisement