Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs involved in church part of wedding

Options
  • 03-06-2014 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Given some mixed responses on another thread, I thought it would be worth asking what's the norm or accepted to pay the priest, church, sacristan, etc. for a church wedding? And does this vary much for your local church as opposed to a random one near your venue?

I think I was a little naive in allocating €150 for the priest and €50 for the sacristan? Or am I? Granted, it's my local church in a tiny rural area and my family (not me though) provide a huge amount of physical and financial support to the church each year, and the priest would know me.

We have no money allocated to letters of freedom, baptismal certs, etc. and neither priest has mentioned that yet, but my boyfriend is meeting with the local priest in the parish where we live tomorrow, so maybe he needs to bring some cash with him? Luckily, my priest at home is letting me off without having to do that!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

kkcatlou wrote: »
    Luckily, my priest at home is letting me off without having to do that!

That's because you're getting married in your home parish.

A lot of churches have a set/suggested fee.
    Is there a parish secretary you can call and ask?
    It's usually cheaper for your home parish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

The sacristan for my church is my uncle. He told me you can give a voluntary donation to the priest if you want to and that generally people give between 100-200. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Addle wrote: »
    That's because you're getting married in your home parish.

A lot of churches have a set/suggested fee.
    Is there a parish secretary you can call and ask?
    It's usually cheaper for your home parish.

No, it's a small rural parish, so no fancy things like secretary or set fees. I don't want to appear tight, but also don't want to overpay as my parents contribute a huge amount already!

I've been told I'm lucky though, as I haven't technically lived in my home parish for 15 years, so he could be a stickler and ask me to get letters of freedom from every parish I've lived in since, if he wanted! My boyfriend's local priest is making him do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

We got married in my home parish and I knew the priest from childhood. He said that any donation was completely voluntary so we gave €200 (and an invitation), more or less would have been fine too.

Advertisement