Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best PAYG plan for travel to USA?

Options
  • 03-06-2014 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

I'll be in the US for 10 days. I'm currently on Vodafone PAYG, and I'm wondering what's the best option for calls/text/data. Looks like 1.41/minute for calls (vodafone passport) and 50 euro/month data (vodafone connect abroad - can I even get that with PAYG?).

Is there some better/cheaper option? Maybe buy a prepaid SIM when I get there? I found something called ReadSim online but the reviews on Amazon are terrible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ive used prepay T-mobile with no issues. Got a sim in Walmart.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-Micro-SIM-Activation-Kit/24099996

There's many others and coverage with tmobile can be poor outside of cities. Have a look on bestbuy.com, walmart.com etc and check each carrier for coverage in whatever area you'll be in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

I'll be in the US for two weeks too, am currently on 48 network and roaming costs are insane. Would I be better off just buying a sim card when i get there???
    Anyone on here hardly has a spare US sim lying around that they could post to me and I throw a few quid on it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't roam, it's very very expensive.
    Just buy a sim, mr cheapo :D The one I linked to is 35 so the sim itself is about 4 euro, not breaking the bank exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

At this stage i have about 20 sim cards for different countries (don't really know how many are still working :)), much cheaper than roaming charges. I got a unlocked wifi router, so i just need to get 1 sim card per country, i can use iMessage etc for text and Skype for calls. I obviously can't make local calls in that country with the router, but that have really creates a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Thanks for the tips. I ended up just using roaming, which was stupid expensive but I only needed a few minutes of calls. There was wifi pretty much everywhere so it was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Mr Deeds

Much better off buying a prepaid mobile when you get over there -
    I picked Samsung candy-bar phone up in Fred Meyer Supermarket for $8 and then bought a $30 card.
    Used my Irish smart-phone on free wi-fi to talk to people back home via Viber/Skype and the US one to call people in the US, but bear in mind all the US prepay plans seem to screw you because you pay when you answer a call and when you read a text, money comes off your balance - not really fair, but that was my experience of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Oonagh123

3UK have a great offer in now, £12.90 pm, and you can user your data, mins, calls etc at no extra cost (16 destinations, USA is included)
    You can take the deal out for 1 month contract at a time, so it might be worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 stevo25

3UK also offer it on PAYG, which is what I'm gonna use when back home in August. £15 top up is all thats needed. Also if your using your smartphone in USA add the app Magic jack it gives you a free number and allows free US calls. I use it in UK to call USA friends for free and they can call me back, it uses your data.

Advertisement