Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish female TV presenters - do they all knock a few years off their age?

Options
  • 03-06-2014 4:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Just wondering about this after thinking they do. Two examples being Mary Kennedy and Sharon Ni Bheolain = both good presenters though.

Firstly Mary Kennedy. On her wikipedia page and other recent stuff she is listed at 57. But in a 2010 interview she said:

RTE STAR Mary Kennedy has revealed she had an unlikely schoolgirl hero - Health Minister Mary Harney.

The glamorous Nationwide presenter revealed how the top politician was a year ahead of her at Presentation Convent in Clondalkin, Dublin and was a superb role model.

Presenter Mary, who remains goods friends with Minister Harney, revealed how the former Progressive Democrats Minister never took no for an answer - unlike the RTE star herself.

"My sister and I went to the local school, the Presentation Convent in Clondalkin, which is where I ended up teaching,"she told RSVP magazine.

"Mary Harney was the year ahead of me at school, and she really blazed a trail. …

But Mary Harney is 61 suggesting that Mary Kennedy is 60 instead of 57

Then there is Sharon Ni Bheolain. In interviews this year after she reported about being stalked it said she was 43 but if you go back a few years it seems she was the same age. In a 2008 interview with the Irish Independent she was reported as being ....... 43 - the same age 6 years ago.

RTE newsreader Sharon Ni Bheolain has been hiding a secret heartache behind the smile that brings us the main evening news.

The star has revealed that her marriage to freelance cameraman Kevin Cantrell is over.

The pair, who wed in 1999, and have a five-year-old daughter separated three years ago, but she has only now gone public on the spilt.

"We made the decision to separate three years ago and currently enjoy each other's respect and friendship.

"We have a healthy co-parenting relationship and our priority is, and will always be, our beautiful daughter," the 43-year-old said.

Do all women in TV 'reduce' their age?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

When I was in school I had people in the same year as me that were 2 years older (same year!) - It can happen. So if she was a year ahead it's fairly plausible that there could be that age difference. Actually, it's 3.5 years of a difference. So not really that much.

No way Sharon is 49 so I'd imagine the article you referenced was an error.

Actually if you google'd a bit more you'd have come across this post, back in 2006 saying she was about 34, from someone who was in the same class as her:

Old 08-03-2006, 08:42 #23
    MM3

Adverts | Friends
    Actually she's from malahide aged about 34 and a nice lady - she couldn't have been a student teacher in 1988 as that was the year she would have done the leaving cert. How do I know this? She was in my class at school.

M
    MM3 is offline Report Post Thanks

Original link: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054899745&page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

“One should never trust a woman who tells one her real age. A woman who would tell one that would tell one anything".

Oscar Wilde

Locking this thread as it has very little to do with TV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement