Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liquid Cooling Systems.

Options
  • 03-06-2014 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi I dont know if this is in the right place.

But anyways i was just wondering, because im looking for a job for the summer and if i get one i will be pumping a fair bit of money it to my pc to get it up to date again, and i really wont a LCS, I have a fair idea on what i need but id rather get some help becuase i have never done this and id rather not mess up with one . I have seen some nice sets you can buy but id like something a little fancier.

https://scontent-b-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/...77825758_o.jpg

and i quiet like this aswell.

https://scontent-a-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/...94362728_o.jpg

I really like the water cooling in this and that would be the direction id be aiming . But i wouldnt like to buy all the parts seperate with out help becuase i dont want to get the wrong stuff and it ending up going f***** up :/ so if anyone can give me hand picking out parts or a kit like this it would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Addled

Not sure if it's just me but the links look empty. You can get some nice kits that include everything you need, XSPC do some decent ones and so do EK.

Have you got any ideas about the kind of hardware you're upgrading to?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Vade

Links aren't working for me either. The EKWB kits are great, I got one from them recently and couldn't be happier with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you need to know what you'll be dealing with, so get yourself on youtube and watch some detailed LCS builds taking place.

here is a good place to start: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqChlb8y4cQ0jAFaNFPQLqA

the videos are long and drawn out, but that's what you need, so you understand exactly how much work is involved.

it will also help you to get to know the common components and how they all fit together.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

Addled wrote: »
    Not sure if it's just me but the links look empty. You can get some nice kits that include everything you need, XSPC do some decent ones and so do EK.

Have you got any ideas about the kind of hardware you're upgrading to?
    Vade wrote: »
    Links aren't working for me either. The EKWB kits are great, I got one from them recently and couldn't be happier with it.
    vibe666 wrote: »
    you need to know what you'll be dealing with, so get yourself on youtube and watch some detailed LCS builds taking place.

here is a good place to start: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqChlb8y4cQ0jAFaNFPQLqA

the videos are long and drawn out, but that's what you need, so you understand exactly how much work is involved.

it will also help you to get to know the common components and how they all fit together.

Thanks Guys and sorry for the links i thought they were working.

And its just depending on work more work more pumped into it ;) i want i5 4670K but i make the money ill put in a i7.

https://scontent-b-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/10321762_10154099062490567_6329760013777825758_o.jpg

I will have been looking up loads of videos :)

Thanks again guys please tell me if there is any kits you can buy that look like the LCS in that pic please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The one you've linked to is... mostly for show. There's some very expensive fittings (they're expensive because they don't look like ****), rigid tubing, coloured coolant... all for cooling a CPU with a single 120 rad? I guarantee you that cost three times as much as a H100, and is probably worse at cooling (or else only marginally better).

A watercooling "kit" only picks out all the bits for you. You still have to assemble it yourself, and honestly, picking out the parts is the fun and easy bit, so I'd just read up and get your own parts.

Main questions:
    How much do you have to spend?
    What components do you want to cool?
    What case do you have?
    How quiet to you want it to be?

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    The one you've linked to is... mostly for show. There's some very expensive fittings (they're expensive because they don't look like ****), rigid tubing, coloured coolant... all for cooling a CPU with a single 120 rad? I guarantee you that cost three times as much as a H100, and is probably worse at cooling (or else only marginally better).

A watercooling "kit" only picks out all the bits for you. You still have to assemble it yourself, and honestly, picking out the parts is the fun and easy bit, so I'd just read up and get your own parts.

Main questions:
    How much do you have to spend?
    What components do you want to cool?
    What case do you have?
    How quiet to you want it to be?

Oh serious i think that cooling system looks class :P my lack of knowledge of the subject :P
    Oh yeah i cant wait to get the chance to do it myself :)

I want to spend 500 yoyos but ill be selling everything im replacing so i could possible add more.
    id be selling my:

case - xclio Nighthawk
    AMD Radeon hd 7850
    MSI Z77A-G41 Motherboard.
    CPU - i5 3450

What i want from selling the parts plus adding 500 is

A k-series i5.
    New mobo 1150 socket.
    Nice LCS.
    New case one that has lots of space and loads of place for cable management and a nice sized radiator.
    AMD Radeon R9 280x/290x (these only if i get a good price on what im selling)
    otherwise ill keep my 7850 and get a 7870 aswell and run them together.

I just want to cool the Cpu and i no you can t the nice all in one Cpu coolers but im pure about the way it looks so i want like the transparent tubes and cool coloured liquid and all :P pure child haha

And noise doesn't really bother me but nothing too loud :)

I just roughly specced out a decent mobo,cpu and 290:
    Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-4670K Box, LGA1150|€190.98
    MSI Z87-G45 Gaming, ATX, Sockel 1150|€104.38
    Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X OC, 4GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, full retail|€379.79
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€694.14

case - xclio Nighthawk €35
    AMD Radeon hd 7850 €100
    MSI Z77A-G41 Motherboard. €50
    CPU - i5 3450 €140
    Sold Parts Total €325

€500

Total budget €825.00
    New Parts €694.14
    Remaining €130.86

This might be a bit pessimistic with the prices you can get for your old stuff but either way it doesn't look you'll be able to squeeze in
    a decent case + water loop and still get a 290.

If you stuck with the 7850 you'd probably have a little over €400, maybe €300 or less if you get a 7870 as well.
    That's still pretty tight seeing as you'll need a new case as well.

Ideally you'd want to get some of the Z97 boards instead of z87 which will probably cost slightly more again.

Here's a simple loop to kick off and give with you an idea of the cost but you could change any part of it:

Item|Price
    EK Water Blocks EK-D5 Vario X-RES 140 (incl. pump)|£107.99
    XSPC EX240 120mm Radiator - Black|£37.99
    EK-Supreme LTX CSQ Intel CPU Waterblock|£29.99
    Corsair SP120 Quiet Series High Pressure Low Noise - Dual Pack (CO-9050006-WW)|£22.00
    2 x Primochill Primoflex Advanced Tubing 16/10 - Clear|£11.98
    6 x EK Water Blocks EK-CSQ Fitting 10/16mm G1/4 - Nickel|£23.70
    Shipping|£8.00
    Total|£243.23

This includes a d5 pump with a top and reservoir that all integrate nicely into one unit. There's a nice big res to see the coloured coolant pumping through so it should look pretty nice.

There's a 240mm rad in there which is the same size as a h100i, I wouldn't go for any less than this so make sure you get a case that can hold it. There's also a pair of quiet sp120 fans there which are good for pushing a lot of air through the rads quietly.

The cpu block is pretty bog standard, comes out in the middle of the road as far as benchmarks go but it's clear plexi so you'll get to see coloured fluid oozing through it. The difference between this and a top end block is usually just a couple of degrees so it's pretty good value.

There isn't any coolant so you need to add either distilled water+dye and biocide or a silver kill coil or get a premixed coolant that you like.

The tubing is pretty standard clear stuff, I've heard of some people having problems with plasticizer coming off it and gunking up their loop but it doesn't seem to be common and only occurs with a specific mix of coolant.

That problem seems to present on lots of types of tubing so I'd say it's fine but maybe someone else will have experience with this. There's 2m of it which is more than you need for a small loop like this but it means you can make a few mistakes and still have some to spare.

I think there's just enough fittings (but I may well have fecked up here:D):

2x for CPU block in/out
    2x for rad in/out

And because the res+pump+top all integrate:
    1x for res in
    1x for pump out

Also you may need a plug for the reservoir holes but it more than likely includes one, even my cheapo one from China included them.

Also I've almost certainly forgotten something so get a few other people to take a look over it as well. I haven't had a water loop for that long so someone else should be able to point out any problems in that setup.

As a note this build is using the more common flexible plastic tubing as opposed to the rigid solid acrylic used in the screenshot. It's way easier to work with and you can just cut it with a scissors but you won't be able to do 90 degree bends in mid air without adding more 90 or 45 degree fittings, sort of like joints.

here's a pretty much equivalent kit but with a different (arguably better) CPU block and I don't think the fans or fittings are as good but still a really nice kit:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-276-XS&groupid=962&catid=1532
    http://www.xs-pc.com/watercooling-kits/raystorm-d5-photon-ax240-watercooling-kit

And here's a much cheaper option with a less common pump, smaller res and black tubing (won't be able to see the fluid) :

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-342-EK&groupid=962&catid=1532

I just roughly specced out a decent mobo,cpu and 290:
    Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-4670K Box, LGA1150|€190.98
    MSI Z87-G45 Gaming, ATX, Sockel 1150|€104.38
    Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X OC, 4GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, full retail|€379.79
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€694.14

case - xclio Nighthawk €35
    AMD Radeon hd 7850 €100
    MSI Z77A-G41 Motherboard. €50
    CPU - i5 3450 €140
    Sold Parts Total €325

€500

Total budget €825.00
    New Parts €694.14
    Remaining €130.86

This might be a bit pessimistic with the prices you can get for your old stuff but either way it doesn't look you'll be able to squeeze in
    a decent case + water loop and still get a 290.

If you stuck with the 7850 you'd probably have a little over €400, maybe €300 or less if you get a 7870 as well.
    That's still pretty tight seeing as you'll need a new case as well.

Ideally you'd want to get some of the Z97 boards instead of z87 which will probably cost slightly more again.

Here's a simple loop to kick off and give with you an idea of the cost but you could change any part of it:

Item|Price
    EK Water Blocks EK-D5 Vario X-RES 140 (incl. pump)|£107.99
    XSPC EX240 120mm Radiator - Black|£37.99
    EK-Supreme LTX CSQ Intel CPU Waterblock|£29.99
    Corsair SP120 Quiet Series High Pressure Low Noise - Dual Pack (CO-9050006-WW)|£22.00
    2 x Primochill Primoflex Advanced Tubing 16/10 - Clear|£11.98
    6 x EK Water Blocks EK-CSQ Fitting 10/16mm G1/4 - Nickel|£23.70
    Shipping|£8.00
    Total|£243.23

This includes a d5 pump with a top and reservoir that all integrate nicely into one unit. There's a nice big res to see the coloured coolant pumping through so it should look pretty nice.

There's a 240mm rad in there which is the same size as a h100i, I wouldn't go for any less than this so make sure you get a case that can hold it. There's also a pair of quiet sp120 fans there which are good for pushing a lot of air through the rads quietly.

The cpu block is pretty bog standard, comes out in the middle of the road as far as benchmarks go but it's clear plexi so you'll get to see coloured fluid oozing through it. The difference between this and a top end block is usually just a couple of degrees so it's pretty good value.

There isn't any coolant so you need to add either distilled water+dye and biocide or a silver kill coil or get a premixed coolant that you like.

The tubing is pretty standard clear stuff, I've heard of some people having problems with plasticizer coming off it and gunking up their loop but it doesn't seem to be common and only occurs with a specific mix of coolant.

That problem seems to present on lots of types of tubing so I'd say it's fine but maybe someone else will have experience with this. There's 2m of it which is more than you need for a small loop like this but it means you can make a few mistakes and still have some to spare.

I think there's just enough fittings (but I may well have fecked up here:D):

2x for CPU block in/out
    2x for rad in/out

And because the res+pump+top all integrate:
    1x for res in
    1x for pump out

Also you may need a plug for the reservoir holes but it more than likely includes one, even my cheapo one from China included them.

Also I've almost certainly forgotten something so get a few other people to take a look over it as well. I haven't had a water loop for that long so someone else should be able to point out any problems in that setup.

As a note this build is using the more common flexible plastic tubing as opposed to the rigid solid acrylic used in the screenshot. It's way easier to work with and you can just cut it with a scissors but you won't be able to do 90 degree bends in mid air without adding more 90 or 45 degree fittings, sort of like joints.

here's a pretty much equivalent kit but with a different (arguably better) CPU block and I don't think the fans or fittings are as good but still a really nice kit:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-276-XS&groupid=962&catid=1532
    http://www.xs-pc.com/watercooling-kits/raystorm-d5-photon-ax240-watercooling-kit

And here's a much cheaper option with a less common pump, smaller res and black tubing (won't be able to see the fluid) :

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-342-EK&groupid=962&catid=1532

Jesus Thanks a lot man much appreciated :)

Yeah i was thinking that alright the 290 would be pretty had to work around :P
    Is say take that out and put in a 7870.
    That's around €140

I can get another one when i have more money, and i'm 95% i can run the 7850 with 7870 :)

Which isn't bad, then i could go for this Kit it looks good to me with a bigger rad and at a pretty nice price ? :) tell me if i'm wrong.

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/kits-cases/kits/ek-kit-l360.html

what would be a nice case to work with water cooling to show it all off :)
    I do have to say i love that case.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/nzxt-h440-mid-tower-case-matte-black-with-red-trim-with-side-window-and-4-quiet-fans-w-o-psu

But iv been in love with this since the day i seen it :P
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/nzxt-phantom-410-black-performance-mid-tower-case-with-2x120mm-and-1x140mm-fans-usb-30-w-o-psu-windo

i wouldn't be sure if either of these cases would be great for water cooling but if they were i no what im getting :)

I wont to just have all the prices of the lot so i can add it all together get a good estimate of my stuff and see how much i'm spending :)

and again really thanks for the help :)

It looks like the h440 will take a 360 rad up top or on the front no problem and look good doing it :). It could possibly hold a 360 and 240 at the same time with space to spare!

That kit would also work, you just need to think about where you're going to mount the res and pump if you want the res to be seen.
    The h440 looks like it would be perfect for showing the res but concealing the pump under that sheath at the bottom like this build:
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=36342608

that will require the res and pump to be physically separate though which will complicate things a little.

Also worth noting that there doesn't seem to be any grills or anything at the bottom that you could use to screw the pump down.
    You might have to drill a couple of small holes to secure it properly or maybe use some sort of glue with an anti vibration pad like this :
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-001-MM.

You can also build a ghetto version with a cut up mousepad and sponge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

hard to justify the 290x over the 290 imho, even more so if you're planning on adding a water block to the gfx card at some point, and you should, being as you will already have the WC loop, your gfx card is going to be the only thing making any noise anyway. :)

• Advertisement

It looks like the h440 will take a 360 rad up top or on the front no problem and look good doing it :). It could possibly hold a 360 and 240 at the same time with space to spare!

That kit would also work, you just need to think about where you're going to mount the res and pump if you want the res to be seen.
    The h440 looks like it would be perfect for showing the res but concealing the pump under that sheath at the bottom like this build:
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=36342608

that will require the res and pump to be physically separate though which will complicate things a little.

Also worth noting that there doesn't seem to be any grills or anything at the bottom that you could use to screw the pump down.
    You might have to drill a couple of small holes to secure it properly or maybe use some sort of glue with an anti vibration pad like this :
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-001-MM.

You can also build a ghetto version with a cut up mousepad and sponge.
    vibe666 wrote: »
    hard to justify the 290x over the 290 imho, even more so if you're planning on adding a water block to the gfx card at some point, and you should, being as you will already have the WC loop, your gfx card is going to be the only thing making any noise anyway. :)

Yeah the H440 is sick i love the look of the case and if it has the capability to have to separate rads well then even better :)
    I don't mind if its a pump and res combo or single i'm mainly doing this for all a learning experience..
    So i'm not bothered either way :)

And as for the GPU i would love to be able to get the 290/290x but money wise its a no :/
    If i have one 7850 and then i was to buy two 7870s would i be able to run all three in triple SLI ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

I've G45 + 4670k + 290 Tri-X and went for Swiftech 220 that can be got off amazon for e120.
    At the moment temps on my cpu @4.2 are upto 60C, I intend to add a GPU block in a month to this setup, which would bring the total cost to about e250.

I was considering the XSPC / EK kits, but went with Swiftech, we will see the temps after adding GPU block. Worst case scenario I will be selling H220 and getting something bigger.

LukeyKid wrote: »
    Yeah the H440 is sick i love the look of the case and if it has the capability to have to separate rads well then even better :)
    I don't mind if its a pump and res combo or single i'm mainly doing this for all a learning experience..
    So i'm not bothered either way :)

And as for the GPU i would love to be able to get the 290/290x but money wise its a no :/
    If i have one 7850 and then i was to buy two 7870s would i be able to run all three in triple SLI ?

The separate reservoir would look nice alright it just means you need another 2 fittings and something to mount the reservoir to. It looks like you might be able to drill into the sides of the HDD mounts and screw the reservoir clamps into those.

You'd probably be better off just getting another 7850 because afaik the 7870 would just be throttled to the speed of a 7850 if they were crossfired.

I might get run out of here by an angry mob for suggesting this but here goes :D

Item|Price
    E&P CPU block|$34.80
    DC 12V 600L/H 5M head / inlet and outlet G1/4 |$24.80
    140mm cylinder Reservoir|$14.50
    360mm copper radiator|$41.00
    2x 16/10mm clear tubing|$5.98
    2x Black G1/4'' thread 90 degree Rotary Fitting Adapter|$9.96
    8x Black compression fittings nozzle G1/4| $32.00

Shipping| $40.77
    Total| $203.81

I bought my loop from this guy which is very similar but with a cheaper block which is the only thing I would change although the quality is not bad, excellent for the price really.

Overall the quality is excellent, fittings, rads, reservoir and pump are all weighty, durable and solid, they don't feel cheap at all and look as good as any premium brand.

That comes to €149.58 in total but you might be able to reduce the shipping a little if you place the order but don't pay right away and then message the seller to ask if they can reduce the price by sending it all in one package.

They likely would have sent it in one package anyway but most sellers should lower the price a little and pass some of the savings onto you.

The other thing to be mindful of is customs, I bought a pair of rads, 240 and 280, 3m of tubing, cpu block and 140mm reservoir with a ton of fittings for a full GPU + CPU loop and it came in a fairly small box through the post with no customs charges but ymmv.

With this setup you can mount the reservoir to the rad using the provided bracket and can always move it later on to be in plain sight of the window.

The pump is powerful enough but a little noisy without a shoggy sandwich or something. You should be able to just glue it to the bottom of the case pretty easily because it has a preinstalled mount.

I might put up a post on the parts here if anyone else is interested, I'm still making changes to the loop so it's not set in stone just yet.

I might get run out of here by an angry mob for suggesting this but here goes :D

Item|Price
    E&P CPU block|$34.80
    DC 12V 600L/H 5M head / inlet and outlet G1/4 |$24.80
    140mm cylinder Reservoir|$14.50
    360mm copper radiator|$41.00
    2x 16/10mm clear tubing|$5.98
    2x Black G1/4'' thread 90 degree Rotary Fitting Adapter|$9.96
    8x Black compression fittings nozzle G1/4| $32.00

Shipping| $40.77
    Total| $203.81

I bought my loop from this guy which is very similar but with a cheaper block which is the only thing I would change although the quality is not bad, excellent for the price really.

Overall the quality is excellent, fittings, rads, reservoir and pump are all weighty, durable and solid, they don't feel cheap at all and look as good as any premium brand.

That comes to €149.58 in total but you might be able to reduce the shipping a little if you place the order but don't pay right away and then message the seller to ask if they can reduce the price by sending it all in one package.

They likely would have sent it in one package anyway but most sellers should lower the price a little and pass some of the savings onto you.

The other thing to be mindful of is customs, I bought a pair of rads, 240 and 280, 3m of tubing, cpu block and 140mm reservoir with a ton of fittings for a full GPU + CPU loop and it came in a fairly small box through the post with no customs charges but ymmv.

With this setup you can mount the reservoir to the rad using the provided bracket and can always move it later on to be in plain sight of the window.

The pump is powerful enough but a little noisy without a shoggy sandwich or something. You should be able to just glue it to the bottom of the case pretty easily because it has a preinstalled mount.

I might put up a post on the parts here if anyone else is interested, I'm still making changes to the loop so it's not set in stone just yet.

Well i aint no expert with this but looks all good to me and i save way more what are the res tanks like the ones that take up to Cd drives ? i like them. and would it a waist of time and make stuff complicated if i was t have a res tank and a cylinder for apperince ? :P

Also thanks for all the help man much appreciated :)

Well i aint no expert with this but looks all good to me and i save way more what are the res tanks like the ones that take up to Cd drives ? i like them. and would it a waist of time and make stuff complicated if i was t have a res tank and a cylinder for apperince ? :P

Also thanks for all the help man much appreciated :)

No problem :), I'd say it is a bit of a waste to have both but you could do it. Basically for almost every component you add you'll need an extra pair of fittings for the inlet/outlet and a place to put it in your case.

Unfortunately the h440 doesn't have any 5.25 bays at all so I don't think it'd be plausible for that case though that shop does stock a lot of different res types:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Water-Cooling-Reservoirs/907279_211280328.html

Should do, Bykski make some really nice quality blocks.

I'd imagine it comes with a mounting backplate as well for that price but might be no harm to message the seller before you pull the trigger to make sure.

Advertisement