Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Mileage rate to use?

Options
  • 02-06-2014 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all,

I have downloaded the civil service mileage rates from revenue.ie earlier(below) and am a little confused which rate to use when claiming for business use.

My car is an 07 2.0

Anybody have any experience of this?

Cheers,

Gerry

Rates for Motor cars

Motor cars effective from 5 March 2009

Official Motor Travel in a calendar year

Engine Capacity: Up to 1,200 cc

Engine Capacity: 1,201 cc to 1,500 cc

Engine Capacity: 1,501 cc and over

Up to 6,437km 39.12 cent 46.25 cent 59.07 cent
    6,438km and over 21.22 cent 23.62 cent 28.46 cent

Motor cars effective from 1 July 2008 to 4 March 2009

Official Motor Travel in a calendar year

Engine Capacity: Up to 1,200 cc

Engine Capacity: 1,201 cc to 1,500 cc

Engine Capacity: 1,501 cc and over

Up to 6,437km 52.16 cent 61.67 cent 78.76 cent
    6,438km and over 28.29 cent 31.49 cent 37.94 cent

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

For your car it's 59.07 cent pre kilometre up to 6437km per year, then 28.46 cent pre km after that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

60c a kilometre? F**k sake, no wonder the country is in the ****ter paying public servants that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

You car is over 1.5l , so you can use the 59.07c/km rate for the first 6437km on a calender year.
    You need to track your travel over the year and once you hit 6437km, you have to reduce the rate to 28.46c/km

Also make sure that you properly record each journey including route, distance, clients etc.

You can also claim for subsistence if you are away from normal place of work for more than five hours

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

quarryman wrote: »
    60c a kilometre? F**k sake, no wonder the country is in the ****ter paying public servants that much.

Yea, but the lower rates (after 6437 km) wont cover much more than fuel so it balances out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

It doesn't just cover mileage though. It's for repairs, depreciation, tax, insurance etc. A friend of mine works in private sector and has her 013 company car, fuel card and all tax/insurance and garage fees paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

It's also the standard rate in any private sector job I've worked in.

It's basically the amount Revenue allow tax free. It's nothing major. I wouldn't drive my car for a company for anything less.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Totally irrelevant for this thread

Advertisement