Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracking distance covered playing football

Options
  • 02-06-2014 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Or any sport for that matter. What's recommended for something like this? I'm only familiar with GPS watches out there that are a little bit on the bulky side and the idea of wearing something that 'big' whilst playing football isn't that appealing. But do I have any other option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭rom

you are not going to get anything better than a gps watch unless you want to spend a ton on serious cameras and the software that works it all out. a small watch without the strap in the pocket would work fine. you don't need it on the hard for the gps to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

There are products that do this. My daughter plays hockey at a high level and they have used them whilst training and in matches. They are worn inside the tops on the back I think . They can produce a huge amount of stats , with top speed, distance covered, directional runs, etc etc. I will see if I can find more info for you and PM you

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

Majority of pro teams or elite level amateur teams will use gps sensors worn under the jersey or incorporated into the jersey. Sensors can calculate total distance covered, distance covered at low/high intensity, time spent at different intensities, mapping of movement and some will also record breathing rate and heart rate. GX sports is the one I've used for studies and research but they cost a fair bit

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Would love to say that I'm playing at a high level but unfortunately it's just a bit of standard 5 a side. Ideally I'd like to keep things on the cheap side and spend max 40-50 euro. Is FitBit worth looking in to?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

Fitbit is a good product but wouldn't be meet your demands or needs. Your best bet could by the adidas MiCoach which has been designed to worn in boots and will calculate distance covered and speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

vidor wrote: »
    Would love to say that I'm playing at a high level but unfortunately it's just a bit of standard 5 a side. Ideally I'd like to keep things on the cheap side and spend max 40-50 euro. Is FitBit worth looking in to?
    If you're just knocking about (and curious), then you could try and pick up a cheap second-hand GPS watch. Not entirely accurate, but will give you an approximate idea of the ground you are covering. Here's one from a couple of years back:
    footie.jpg

Like I said, not really useful, from a data tracking perspective, but may satisfy your curiosity. Here's the actual activity: link, but many of the graphs seems to be missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

By the way, if you look at the activity, you'll notice that my max speed is 26,175.2 mph. That's where the inaccuracy comes in. I can't actually run that fast. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

By the way, if you look at the activity, you'll notice that my max speed is 26,175.2 mph. That's where the inaccuracy comes in. I can't actually run that fast. :)

:eek::eek: - he is human after all !!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Thanks. This looks as cheap as a 2nd hand GPS unit - http://www.adidas.ie/micoach-speed_cell-for-pc%2Fmac/V42039_500.html

Only thing is I don't have runners that it can clip in to.

Advertisement