Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain Bike, Road Bike or Hybrid

Options
  • 02-06-2014 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Complete newbie here...

I used to play a lot of squash but have had to give it up after having surgery on my Achilles last year.

My surgeon suggested that I take up cycling, because it's low impact.

So for a few weeks now, I've borrowed a neighbour's mountain bike and am enjoying cycling in the evening, usually short distances of around 10km.

So now I'm going to buy my own bike on the cycle to work scheme.

The roads that I cycle on are country roads, so I'd worry that a road bike wouldn't be suitable. The mountain bike seems to be suitable.

So can anyone advise what type of by bike I should get?

Any other tips on helmets, cycling gear e.g locks, clothes, etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

boobar wrote: »
    Complete newbie here...

I used to play a lot of squash but have had to give it up after having surgery on my Achilles last year.

My surgeon suggested that I take up cycling, because it's low impact.

So for a few weeks now, I've borrowed a neighbour's mountain bike and am enjoying cycling in the evening, usually short distances of around 10km.

So now I'm going to buy my own bike on the cycle to work scheme.

The roads that I cycle on are country roads, so I'd worry that a road bike wouldn't be suitable. The mountain bike seems to be suitable.

So can anyone advise what type of by bike I should get?

Any other tips on helmets, cycling gear e.g locks, clothes, etc?

I'm by no means an expert but I'll give you my experience.

I bought a mountain bike on the bike for work scheme. Lovely bike. I can count on one hand how many times it's been used on a mountain however which makes it a completely pointless purchase IMO.

I bought a road bike about two years ago now and have done thousands of km's on it. Prior to this I'd never been on a road bike and had very similar concerns to you about them looking fragile and only good for decent roads.

All I'd say is you only get one shot at the bike to work scheme so you'd want to make the right choice unlike me.

A road bike with the likes of gatorskin tyres pumped to 120psi will take a lot of abuse I can tell you.

If you think you'll only ever do 10km though in your situation I'd go with a hybrid which is in between the two.

Mountain bikes are for mountains.
    Road bikes are for when you think you might do longer than 10km.

Like yourself injury took me down the cycling route. I thought I'd never do decent mileage but I've now done a few 80km sportives and have to say I love a good long cycle. Peaceful.

Whatever you go for enjoy op!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Buy a road bike.
    Use the full BTW allowance on the bike and buy from a reputable local bike shop.
    Don't be lured by 'bargains'. You need to be at this a while before you spot them.
    Buy more bike than you think you need, you will grow into it, and maybe outgrow it.
    Get set up on it by a knowledgeable enthusiast.
    Get mid-priced gear, with bib shorts. They are more comfortable. Don't wear underpants with them.
    Get a decent saddle, that fits your sit-bones.
    Find someone to ride with, and make it a regular thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

^^^ What he said.

I went from mountain bikes to two hybrids and then to a road bike.

Initially I was concerned that the road bike wouldn't take my weight, as depending on the time of year (I compete in Judo at plus 100kgs) my weight can go from 110kgs to 125+ kgs

I cycle a mix of Dublin city center streets to country roads (my commute is 40km round trip) and haven't had any problems with my road bike (since 2009).

Since you're new to road bikes the only advice I can give you is go to a reputable dealership and get fitted for the bike instead of blind guessing your size. I made this mistake once and hated the bike I bought.

And since you're on the cycle to work then use up the full thousand Euro budget because its the cheapest grand you'll ever get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Quick update folks...

Thanks for all your advice, I made the purchase, in the end decided to go for a hybrid, Kellys Cliff 70.

I'm really enjoying it, I've been out every day for the last 8 days, cycling about ten miles a day.

Not much when compared to the distances being covered by many others on this forum. But if I can continue with this, I'll be very happy.

This bike is ideal for the roads I'm on,country lanes where the thicker wheels and sturdy frame are a God send.

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Got a very similar Kelly's hybrid myself about five years ago, prior to getting a road bike. Really well built and still gets regular usage on rougher roads, coilte tracks and more recently on the canal towpaths. Enjoy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement