Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to fit into dress in 4 weeks time

Options
  • 02-06-2014 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I'm in leaving cert and the exams start in 2 days. Just realised the grad dress that I bought at the beginning of the year is too small and won't zip closed... It has a mesh back so won't be able to wear spanx. It cost hundreds of euro so can't just not wear it. A month would usually be fine to lose the half stone I've put on over the year but with the exams I don't want to starve myself. Does anyone have any tips for how I could fit into the dress?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

4 weeks is plenty of time to lose a few extra pounds. The most important thing as you say is to not starve yourself, you have an important few weeks ahead of you where you will need to be eating right and getting plenty of nutrients and maintaining energy. If I were you I would just watch the amount of pasta, white bread, potatoes and sugar, I'm not saying to cut them out completely, just maybe switch to whole wheat bread or brown pasta instead? Brown rice is very filling and much better for you then white rice. For me sugar is the devil, if I eat too many sugary things I get bloated and can gain so much weight it's crazy. Lately I've been eating lots of brown rice and fish with Thai red curry sauce, it keeps me full and I don't feel like I'm depriving myself. Drink plenty of water also! Also cut down on alcohol, but I'm sure with the looming exams the nights out will be few and far between, good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Bring the dress to a dressmaker/clothing alterations place and find out if it can be adjusted a bit - now is not the time to be stressing about losing weight!!

Having said that, your body will thank you for skipping the sugary carbs as much as possible during exam time, so if you make a bit of an effort you're sure to shift a few pounds :)
    Drink plenty of water too, again your body will thank you for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MissCatherine_

4 weeks is lots of time. A few sensible tips that will work and are not drastic- please DO NOT starve yourself or anything- you could actually end up being more bloated as you may end up bingeing and thus bloating yourself:

Start each day with a cup of hot water and lemon
    Drink at least 2.5L water per day- add mint and cucumber to your water to make it taste better
    Cut out all excess salt (no adding salt to food)- it holds water and therefore will bloat you
    Cut out excess sugar- eat only non-processed foods. Plenty of veg, fruit, cashew nuts (generally limit to 100g in a sitting as quite high in good fats), plenty of lean meats-chicken, protein, salmon, etc
    No fizzy drinks or sweets or crisps
    30 mins of exercise each day eg walking
    Try targeted waist exercises to slim your waist and back and get the zip up- try google and youtube

Honestly you have plenty of time but get to work now and do it slowly. The above tips should give you something to focus on and a place to start.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

4 weeks is lots of time. A few sensible tips that will work and are not drastic- please DO NOT starve yourself or anything- you could actually end up being more bloated as you may end up bingeing and thus bloating yourself:

Start each day with a cup of hot water and lemon
    Drink at least 2.5L water per day- add mint and cucumber to your water to make it taste better
    Cut out all excess salt (no adding salt to food)- it holds water and therefore will bloat you
    Cut out excess sugar- eat only non-processed foods. Plenty of veg, fruit, cashew nuts (generally limit to 100g in a sitting as quite high in good fats), plenty of lean meats-chicken, protein, salmon, etc
    No fizzy drinks or sweets or crisps
    30 mins of exercise each day eg walking
    Try targeted waist exercises to slim your waist and back and get the zip up- try google and youtube

Honestly you have plenty of time but get to work now and do it slowly. The above tips should give you something to focus on and a place to start.

Good luck!

That's good advice and I don't want to pull the thread off topic but 100g of cashews contains over 500 calories (i know the fat is 'good fat' etc but that's a massive calorie count for a snack!) so maybe look at the serving size :)
    Best of luck again OP, particularly in the exams :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Was just about to say that, Dee! She'd out on weight very quickly eating 100g of cashew nuts in a sitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Go on to Operation Transformation website, all recipes and exercises are still up there - do it the health way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

Some people may disagree with me (and everyone is entitled to their own opinion) but I found Slimming World to be fantastic for dropping a few pounds..(maybe not a complete long term plan). You can eat loads on it...as much fruit, veg, rice, pasta, potatos, lean meat etc. You just need to watch how they are cooked and then obviously it limits the bad stuff.

Might be a good plan for you that wont take up to much brain space :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Cut out all carbs and sugar and eat a diet high in proteins, fats and vegetables. You'll lose a few pounds within 10 days and if you continue to eat little/no carbs the weight loss will continue. If you find elimination too difficult do it 5 days and eat the carbs and some sugar 2 days. You won't be hungry, you won't be constantly thinking about food, your blood sugars will remain stable and you'll fit into your dress in 4 weeks. You may even need it altered to make it smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mollyoflafal

Thank you all so much, this is so helpful ! Have been eating less carbs and drinking loads of water like most of you have suggested and lost 2 pounds already. Definitely going to try that lemon and water in the mornings trick, if nothing else it sounds tasty, haha :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭marie12

some exercise out doors to clear your head would be good for your mind and body, a brisk walk maybe. decrease your carbs a little and increase your vegetables. i find things like yogurt and fruit bars that you think would be healthy are not that filling and you'd be better off with something like porridge, eggs or a chicken salad. and sleep, you eat more when you're tired. best of luck in your exams.

• Advertisement
Advertisement