Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child missing on 1911 census

Options
  • 02-06-2014 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi, does anybody have any ideas where a 2 year old could be? He's not with the family, I can't find him with any neighbours or family near by or anywhere for that matter. So I figured hospital but I can't find a match for him with initials either. I don't think they would have forgotten to write him in if he were at the house since his 4 year old and 5 month old brothers are there. I'm guessing it's a typo somewhere, it's not very important that I find him, I have his birth and marriage records it's just finding where he was could be useful or at least interesting.

His name is Thomas McMahon if anyone wants to help me with some detective work, I've had this record for over a year and never thought there was anything unusual til I looked at the children born/living, then my mum said she was sure Thomas was the second eldest and sure enough I found his birth record for 1909.. I'm sure I wasting my time looking :(

census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Galway/Ballycahalan/Reyrawer/460818/

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The mother has down that she had three children with three living; and there are three children of hers on the form - "stepson" to the head of household (the father) cannot be his and the surname also shows that.

Have you got the birth records of the other two full siblings to confirm that you've definitely got everything correct with this being the family?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The number of children relates to "the present marriage" - if you see the small print above that column. It doesn't preclude her being confused of course.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

pinkypinky wrote: »
    The number of children relates to "the present marriage" - if you see the small print above that column. It doesn't preclude her being confused of course.

I never noticed that - the one time when its been an issue for me they were confused and put down the total for both. Oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Rox_88

MYOB wrote: »
    The mother has down that she had three children with three living; and there are three children of hers on the form - "stepson" to the head of household (the father) cannot be his and the surname also shows that.

Have you got the birth records of the other two full siblings to confirm that you've definitely got everything correct with this being the family?

Thanks for the reply, she actually had 2 Scully boys before she married McMahon (one was 18 and living elsewhere) so I'm 99% sure she means 3 McMahon children. It's definitely the right family, I have records for the boys and some that were born later. I'll have to apply for the Thomas' birth cert but I'm as sure as I can be it's him.
    I thought I'd exhausted everything in this record til now, Patrick the father (my gg father) is a McMahon from Clare with no birth or marriage record I can find or be sure of so I guess I'm really grasping at straws thinking maybe the kid was staying with an aunt or cousin :( it's also a bit strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

Is this patrick on the 1901 census? Have you looked for the marriage cert
    from patricks first marriages. May be easier to find

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Galway/Gort/Gort__Bolands_Lane
    /1384041/
    Stratch that! sorry, this patrick is on 1911 with same wife

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Rox_88

tyview wrote: »

Is this patrick on the 1901 census? Have you looked for the marriage cert
    from patricks first marriages. May be easier to find

Stratch that! sorry, this patrick is on 1911 with same wife

Hi and thanks, It was Margaret that was married before (She was Finn married Scully then McMahon) as far as I know Patrick wasn't married before he married Margaret, now that it's said though, mid 30's is quite old to be marrying for the first time in those days.. . I know absolutely nothing about this man pre 1911 besides the fact he's from Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

There is a T McMahon age 2 in 1911 census at what seems to be a hospital in Castleknock Dublin....

"Residents of a House at 52.3 in Cabragh"............

Also a Thomas McMahon at Shanganagh Querrin Clare - a grandson of the house

Advertisement