Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitoring Station?

Options
  • 02-06-2014 1:47pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Could someone tell me who is the cheapest in terms of alarm monitoring for a home?

Is €200 + extra for a service for an alarm to be monitored annually a bit OTT?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Perhaps ask your installer? Or are you with Phonewatch?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Mr. G wrote: »
    Could someone tell me who is the cheapest in terms of alarm monitoring for a home?

Is €200 + extra for a service for an alarm to be monitored annually a bit OTT?

Thanks

You should be able to monitor it yourself if you want. Your installer should be able to set it up to text your mobile either on your land line or a GSM dialler. The GSM dialler is pricey to start with but with either method, your only cost is the texts the unit sends to you.

If you get a text, you can decide yourself what to do about it as in call the Gardai or not.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

kub wrote: »
    Perhaps ask your installer? Or are you with Phonewatch?

I think the installer may be adding commission to it, hence why I'm trying to do my own research.

It's not monitored at the moment. The €200 per year is for the monitoring of the system (not to connect it) however I'm convinced you can get monitoring for less than this.

It's a HKC 8/12 panel, although I doubt that matters. Not with PhoneWatch but it hasn't been serviced in years so probably could do with one. It hasn't had any false alarms since we got it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Are you getting a full monitoring and maintenance package for that price or just monitoring?

Avns1s wrote: »
    You should be able to monitor it yourself if you want. Your installer should be able to set it up to text your mobile either on your land line or a GSM dialler. The GSM dialler is pricey to start with but with either method, your only cost is the texts the unit sends to you.

If you get a text, you can decide yourself what to do about it as in call the Gardai or not.

The Gardai will not respond to people ringing up stating that they got a text stating their home alarm has gone off.

If they did then there would be no need at all for the Garda response criteria or the entire En standards.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    Are you getting a full monitoring and maintenance package for that price or just monitoring?

Just monitoring

That is a lot for monitoring only, have you got radio back up or anything like that?

That is a lot for monitoring only, have you got radio back up or anything like that?

Nope, it would be connected to a landline.

Which station is the cheapest for monitoring?

The Gardai will not respond to people ringing up stating that they got a text stating their home alarm has gone off.

If they did then there would be no need at all for the Garda response criteria or the entire En standards.

That's entirely untrue.

I got an alert on one alarm that I am listed for recently. Turned out there was a break in. When the Gardaí arrived, they said that in future, once I got an alert, that I should contact them and meet them outside the building and not go in myself.

That's entirely untrue.

I got an alert on one alarm that I am listed for recently. Turned out there was a break in. When the Gardaí arrived, they said that in future, once I got an alert, that I should contact them and meet them outside the building and not go in myself.

Excellent so let's all self monitor our alarms by text, shut down all monitoring stations etc.

Sorry but what that Garda meant was if you arrive at an alarm activation and there is signs of a break in then obviously ring them before you go in.

The way the system works is each alarm system that is properly monitored is fitted and certified to a standard known as EN 50131. The installer sends the certification to the alarm monitoring station which then in turn applies to the Garda divisional head quarters for a number called a URN.
    So in future when the monitoring station gets an activation from that particular premises they quote the URN number to The Garda control room, who then get a unit to respond.

Whether you like it or not that is how it works.

• Advertisement

Have you already asked your installer this?

Have you already asked your installer this?

Yes, but the installer said that they only use that monitoring station.

Any recommendations on a cheaper station?

Yes, but the installer said that they only use that monitoring station.

Any recommendations on a cheaper station?

Off the top of my head I know that Top Security and Mcm Security are less than that.

Excellent so let's all self monitor our alarms by text, shut down all monitoring stations etc.

Sorry but what that Garda meant was if you arrive at an alarm activation and there is signs of a break in then obviously ring them before you go in.

The way the system works is each alarm system that is properly monitored is fitted and certified to a standard known as EN 50131. The installer sends the certification to the alarm monitoring station which then in turn applies to the Garda divisional head quarters for a number called a URN.
    So in future when the monitoring station gets an activation from that particular premises they quote the URN number to The Garda control room, who then get a unit to respond.

Whether you like it or not that is how it works.

Listen, you obviously have a vested interest here given your first comment. You've explained how things are perhaps supposed to work in theory and I've explained how things work in practice and in reality. The OP can decide for themselves what to do. I have better things to be doing than rowing it out with you.

Listen, you obviously have a vested interest here given your first comment. You've explained how things are perhaps supposed to work in theory and I've explained how things work in practice and in reality. The OP can decide for themselves what to do. I have better things to be doing than rowing it out with you.

Pity I know what I am talking about isn't it?

Oh and you attend every text alarm activation in this country do you? That you mention how you know how it works in practice.

Have you ever rang the Gardai and reported that you got an activation from an alarm system......try it some time.

I'm not choosing sides here but I know a close relative who's neighbour's alarm went off. The neighbour was a business and it had been going off on a continuous basisat least once a month- not monitored, not maintained. They rang 112 and the Gardaí came out in minutes, no questions asked. Turned out it was again a cat rubbing against the window.

However, this was a neighbour ringing so maybe that is different.

I appreciate the suggestion re an SMS dialler but to be honest peace of mind is worth more and at least if nobody answers somebody knows.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

For Central Station Monitoring you would need to connect through a licenced installer.
    The price you are quoting does seem expensive if nothing else is included.
    Shop around and you should get a better deal.

AFAIK The Gardai have to attend when someone calls them, in the event of technology calling them it is a different story

KoolKid wrote: »
    For Central Station Monitoring you would need to connect through a licenced installer.
    The price you are quoting does seem expensive if nothing else is included.
    Shop around and you should get a better deal.

As a matter of interest, is this for Gardaí response or a general rule?

AFAIK The Gardai have to attend when someone calls them, in the event of technology calling them it is a different story

So am I correct in saying if it texts me I cannot call the Gardaí but if a neighbour hears the alarm, she can ring the Gardaí?

• Advertisement

As a matter of interest, is this for Gardaí response or a general rule?

For Garda response definitely. I have heard stories where stations deal directly for keyholding response only.

I'll ring around. I've read situations where monitoring is €99 hence why I'm asking.

Finally, can anyone recommend a pet immune PIR? I was hoping to swap the sensor before it gets serviced to save a bit of money.

I'm not sure if these PIRs are a common thing used in Ireland. Thanks

Then there is the home insurance companies to consider as well with regard to annual check ups on the system.

I'll ring around. I've read situations where monitoring is €99 hence why I'm asking.

Finally, can anyone recommend a pet immune PIR? I was hoping to swap the sensor before it gets serviced to save a bit of money.

I'm not sure if these PIRs are a common thing used in Ireland. Thanks

How big is the pet? I always use the Bosch pet friendly PIR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Heres a list of all of the PSA licenced monitoring stations. you will still need a psa registered installer to connect you to the station, but you should be able to find cheaper monitoring quotes if you ring them up and ask for a quote.
    http://www.psa.gov.ie/Website/psa/psa.nsf/04E02B0A8F97847E80257143002C82CB/$File/Security%20Guard%20(Monitoring%20Centre)%20Licence%20Holders%20(23-05-2014).pdf

How big is the pet? I always use the Bosch pet friendly PIR.

17kg dog?

Also ensure you are comparing like with like.
    Some may be monitoring, if you don't have alarm verification technology it may be only key holder response.
    If you have no maintenance contract in place this may also restrict the responses you are getting.

17kg dog?

He is a big one, if memory serves me correctly I think the Bosch ones go up to 15 kg.

Diet perhaps? Only messing does anyone here know of a pet immune PIR that will ignore that dog?

He is a big one, if memory serves me correctly I think the Bosch ones go up to 15 kg.

Diet perhaps? Only messing does anyone here know of a pet immune PIR that will ignore that dog?

Pyronix go to 25kg. Would it be more likely to set off false alarms?

Maybe it might be best to leave her outside of the house. She's only 6 months and my guess is that she might go past 25kg, but for the sake of €20..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

The guards will not attend for one sensor alarm activations..
    I've had them attend a property after a kitchen beam was tripped, then the back door and then the front door.. I probably only got the response from them as I know them and I had remotely re armed the system and had it trigger again ..
    .. But if you can get the monitoring cheap enough then definitely go for it .. The thing that confuses me is that the monitoring station won't send the gardai unless you give them the go ahead ... Maybe it's different for Phonewatches camera system

Advertisement