Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Conor Pass

Options
  • 02-06-2014 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Going to Kerry to do a bit of cycling and I hope to do the Conor Pass.

Two questions.

1. Will I make it?

I cycle Glencree, Feather beds, Sallys Gap quite a lot, so I'm wondering if that's enough to get me over?

2. Best route?

From Tralee to Dingle or other way around? I don't know the roads so which would be the best side to take for a first timer? I'm looking for the more enjoyable route, best view, best side for the descent etc.

I'll be based in Castlemaine if that helps!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Tralee to dingle has the long drag, followed by an amazing descent. The other way has an intense climb, followed by a long winding descent.

Tralee to Dingle has 'the reveal'!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Well if i can climb it anyone can, i managed it a few years ago on the Conor pass challenge, the route was from the Tralee side, a long tough drag with no particularly steep sections, the last Km is very narrow so be mindful of tour buses and cars. Spectacular views from the top so it'll be worth it and a super fast descent into Dingle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

endacl wrote: »
    Tralee to dingle has the long drag, followed by an amazing descent. The other way has an intense climb, followed by a long winding descent.

Tralee to Dingle has 'the reveal'!

Have you not got that the wrong way round?

N-S Tralee Dingle is the harder climb?

Just did it SN yesterday and it seemed like the easier climb.

OP pick your lowest gear and you'll be grand.

Don't bring a bike to Dingle peninsula and not cycle Slea Head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

ford2600 wrote: »

Thanks for the replies. That's also part of my plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. That's also part of my plan.

Over weekend ive cycled most of coastline between Kinsale and Tralee.
    It is all really beautiful but Slea Head (with Sheep Head Penisula on Goats Path a close second) is jaw dropping.

• Advertisement

Also, if you're going towards Tralee, you'll be meeting traffic on a narrow winding road. Unless you get lucky, there'll be lots of breaking as you meet oncoming traffic, have to slow behind cars going the same direction, and sometimes slow entirely as you meet cars that have got stuck nose to nose. Going the other direction? You have a good wide road with sweeping bends where you can often see clearly up to a mile ahead. You can use the whole road. Last time I was down (driving) I paced a chap freewheeling at close to 80. Where else are you going to get that kind of legal high for so little effort? :D

ford2600 wrote: »
    Have you not got that the wrong way round?

N-S Tralee Dingle is the harder climb?

Just did it SN yesterday and it seemed like the easier climb.

OP pick your lowest gear and you'll be grand.

Probably, but it's all about the view for me. And it's a hoor of a climb in either direction!

endacl wrote: »
    Going the other direction? You have a good wide road with sweeping bends where you can often see clearly up to a mile ahead. You can use the whole road.

This would be my preference, a safer descent. So go from Tralee - Dingle then.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Connor pass is well doable and is a must attempt in the area. I didn't find heading N-S as bad as the way back with tired legs S-N. I also love the dingle reveal as you summit from the north.

Also definitely head ventry to slea head. There is a lovely new bit of road surface along part of the stretch and the view is out of this world. Sorry to heading back up to Dublin now!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭listrybabe

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Going to Kerry to do a bit of cycling and I hope to do the Conor Pass.

Two questions.

1. Will I make it?

I cycle Glencree, Feather beds, Sallys Gap quite a lot, so I'm wondering if that's enough to get me over?

2. Best route?

From Tralee to Dingle or other way around? I don't know the roads so which would be the best side to take for a first timer? I'm looking for the more enjoyable route, best view, best side for the descent etc.

I'll be based in Castlemaine if that helps!

while you are in castlemaine you should try the short mountain to tralee one hell of a climb :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

If you would like a trophy climb, the 'Short Mountain' is only a mile away from your base and makes the Conor Pass look like a mere pimple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If you wanted an easier return trip go back to tralee via annascul. With a nice cycle down the coast towards inch..
    Personally I think trying the pass on a bike is nuts but that's coming from someone who finds going up prussia street tough ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

If you wanted an easier return trip go back to tralee via annascul. With a nice cycle down the coast towards inch..
    Personally I think trying the pass on a bike is nuts but that's coming from someone who finds going up prussia street tough ;)

and that's in a car:D

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

That Short Mountain is the toughest hill I've come across yet in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

That's why he should try it while he's there - he's only a 'stones-throw' away from it and can only fail.

outfox wrote: »
    That Short Mountain is the toughest hill I've come across yet in Ireland.

Seems to be close to the house alright. Sure I'll give it a go too.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Let us know how you get on!

outfox wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on!

Will do. Not going till the school holidays though in July. Will hopefully have my new road bike sorted by then too.

All I want is a bit of dry weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Just back from a few days in Kerry. Managed to get 4 cycles in, which I was delighted about, it was more than I expected.

I was up early and did two short 50-60km cycles, while everyone else in the house was asleep.

The first long one was from Castlemaine to Clogher and back, which is the full length of the Dingle Peninsula. It was a 137km round trip.

The last cycle I did was the Connor Pass. I went via the tough road that brings you over the mountain to Camp. When I got to Camp I took the first left instead of the second. I was 9km down this road when I realised I was on the wrong road. I stopped for a minute and assessed the situation.

I could have taken an easy road back to the house, with my tail between my legs, continue the way I was going and tackle the Connor Pass from the Dingle side, or go back the road I was on and take the Pass from North to South, which is what I wanted to do. I took the 3rd option and went back.

I eventually got to the bottom of the CP, stopped, took a photo of the sign and wasn't stopping until I got to the top.

The first 4.5km or so are on a decent wide road, with plenty of room for cars to pass. The last 2km are on a small, narrow road, barely the width of a car, but it's quite smooth. I found the climb not too bad, it's steep, but a constant gradient. I got into my easiest gear and just pedalled away!

The scenery is breath taking and I was blessed with nice weather. When I got to the top I put on my rain jacket for the descent as there was a bit of a head wind. I didn't break any records going up or coming down, but it was a very enjoyable cycle. I even got cheered on by a couple of American tourists on the way up!

North to South is definitely the way to go.

The full cycle took me 111.5km, next time I'll start with the CP and not leave it till the end.

289g586.jpg

21e2t06.jpg

2wnvfyu.jpg

http://www.strava.com/activities/167913681

• Advertisement
Advertisement