Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat leaving cert subjects!

Options
  • 02-06-2014 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hey I did my leaving cert last year. I did a plc this year but I am going back repeating the leaving for points for nursing. I would like opinions on my subject choice thank you.

Last years subjects I did:
    English
    Irish
    Maths
    Biology
    Geography
    Art
    Home ec
    Lcvp

I'm thinking this year I'll do:
    English
    Biology
    Geography
    Home ec
    Art
    Ag science

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mollyoflafal

Hey I did my leaving cert last year. I did a plc this year but I am going back repeating the leaving for points for nursing. I would like opinions on my subject choice thank you.

Last years subjects I did:
    English
    Irish
    Maths
    Biology
    Geography
    Art
    Home ec
    Lcvp

I'm thinking this year I'll do:
    English
    Biology
    Geography
    Home ec
    Art
    Ag science

If you've already done geography and biology adding ag science is a good idea because there's so much crossover. However you should try and get the ag science project done over the summer before you even get to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 showsaf

I'd avoid doing English again if I were you, even if you did well in it, it's such a time consuming subject that can easily backfire on you with timing in the exam. Also there's two papers so you'll be saving yourself two streesful exams. I'd say the same about Irish unless you did very well previously and/or are fluent. As for Maths, I'd say go honours for the 25 extra points or don't do it at all. All in all it all depends on your strengths, I like memorising answers so Econmics, Biology and Business suits me, if you're the same I'd suggest doing 6 subjects with alot of overlap as mollyoflafal said, and if you're doing ag science, I agree, get the project done and dusted as soon as you can.

English will take a lot of time as chances are you'll have to do all different texts and poets. You already have English Irish and maths from a previous leaving cert which is fine for matriculation to most colleges (make sure this applies to your chosen college before you decide though.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭loveemmaxxxx

If you've already done geography and biology adding ag science is a good idea because there's so much crossover. However you should try and get the ag science project done over the summer before you even get to school.

Thanks did u ever do ga science is there a lot of work in the project ? :)

showsaf wrote: »
    I'd avoid doing English again if I were you, even if you did well in it, it's such a time consuming subject that can easily backfire on you with timing in the exam. Also there's two papers so you'll be saving yourself two streesful exams. I'd say the same about Irish unless you did very well previously and/or are fluent. As for Maths, I'd say go honours for the 25 extra points or don't do it at all. All in all it all depends on your strengths, I like memorising answers so Econmics, Biology and Business suits me, if you're the same I'd suggest doing 6 subjects with alot of overlap as mollyoflafal said, and if you're doing ag science, I agree, get the project done and dusted as soon as you can.

Ya your right as memorising in my strength also. Did u ever do ag science what's it like, as I never done it before. I just heard its a good subject to take on if you are repeating. :)

• Advertisement

English will take a lot of time as chances are you'll have to do all different texts and poets. You already have English Irish and maths from a previous leaving cert which is fine for matriculation to most colleges (make sure this applies to your chosen college before you decide though.)

Thanks ya I checked it out since I already have them I don't need to do them again. I dread the thought of repeating irish! :)

Thanks did u ever do ga science is there a lot of work in the project ? :)

Yeah it is quite a lot of work but it's worth 25%! You could get it done in a week if you tried. If you wanted you could buy a project on donedeal or borrow an old friends one and use it as template, I used an old one as a template and it helped a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Yeah it is quite a lot of work but it's worth 25%! You could get it done in a week if you tried. If you wanted you could buy a project on donedeal or borrow an old friends one and use it as template, I used an old one as a template and it helped a lot

This is cheating and a decent teacher should be able to spot it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,169 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A project that has been corrected previously will have SEC stamps on it.
    A silly suggestion.

spurious wrote: »
    A project that has been corrected previously will have SEC stamps on it.
    A silly suggestion.

"As a template."
    It's very difficult to know exactly what format to put your project into. A general idea of what constitutes an A1 project isn't cheating, it's just good planning.

• Advertisement

"As a template."
    It's very difficult to know exactly what format to put your project into. A general idea of what constitutes an A1 project isn't cheating, it's just good planning.

You ask your teacher what format the project should take and follow their guidelines.

Teachers are not stupid. Students are not buying 'A1 standard' projects from done deal at €100 a pop to use as a template.

Anyway, students don't know what grades they get so you have no idea if they got an A1 or not.

You ask your teacher what format the project should take and follow their guidelines.

Teachers are not stupid. Students are not buying 'A1 standard' projects from done deal at €100 a pop to use as a template.

Anyway, students don't know what grades they get so you have no idea if they got an A1 or not.

I did ag science this year and got a B1 overall and my teacher told me I got an A1 in the project... He have us no guidelines on the project so I used one of my friend's ones from the previous year to give me a feel of what to do because there's very few guidelines online.

There's really no need to be so patronising. Maybe your teacher was different to mine - that doesn't make my advice any less valid.

I did ag science this year and got a B1 overall and my teacher told me I got an A1 in the project... He have us no guidelines on the project so I used one of my friend's ones from the previous year to give me a feel of what to do because there's very few guidelines online.

There's really no need to be so patronising. Maybe your teacher was different to mine - that doesn't make my advice any less valid.

I'm an ag science teacher.

Your teacher can tell you the grade he gave you but that does not necessarily mean the external examiner gave you the same grade. If your teacher didn't give you guidelines why didn't you ask for them?

Advertisement