Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Not Settling into Christchurch as i'd hoped

Options
  • 02-06-2014 3:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

So I've been in Christchurch since the end of March. I was previously in Australia for 2 years beforehand and had the best 2 years of my life with some tough days alright but 99% of my time in Australia was bloody awesome. I knew from the 1st couple weeks Oz would be good to me and it was.

Now I'm in Christchurch and i cannot say the same thing. I just can't seem to settle here at all. I have a suspicion that it may be due to the similarities of Home as i had the same feeling of restlessness before i left for Australia. I also think that Australia "ruined" me so to speak. The awesome Weather, wages, lifestyle etc. I'm in a Job that i hate. I have been looking for other Jobs the last week alright. I've been extremely homesick which isn't like me at all. yes i did miss home every now and again when in Oz but not to the extend i am now.

So I'm just wondering has anyone else had this feeling of restlessness in New Zealand after spending a few years in Australia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

Is there any visa that you would qualify for in Australia to go back?

What about moving to Auckland? Subtropical climate and some nice beaches up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 shamrock02

Yeah i hear you.
    Was in oz myself a few years ago, it is a better lifestyle than NZ, i find the kiwi's really laid back and a bit boring, although extremely friendly people.
    Been here around 6 month on a 1 year visa, cant see me extending that further though at the minute. I imagined a huge push with the rebuild with a lot of overtime and good wages, that looks a long way off.
    The nightlife is not even worth talking about, but there are some really excellent small towns outside of christchurch thats well worth a visit

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

Why not try somewhere else. Go to wellington or Auckland. Wellington is awesome. Weather wise, it's alright. It can be really windy and a bit wet during the winter but the summer is great but summer days can still be a bit windy.....

Or even see if you can get some work down in Queenstown for the Winter season

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

I'm from Christchurch and friends tell me the nightlife is kinda dead... With the centre of the City MIA, it's harder to get a buzz. Try joining a social sports team (indoor netball?)... Otherwise head north. Aucklands expensive, so Wellington might be a slightly better options otherwise try Hamilton - bigger nightlife all centralised, cheaper cost of living, easy. A&E for travelling around the north island, and close enough to head up to Auckland without the high rent.
    Obviously job options play a big part but good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Perth (assuming that's where you were due to your location setting) is dripping with cash and opportunity, talking to a taxi driver there a few weeks back the property prices are still skyrocketing even if the investment in mining is slowing down. Lots of investment, lots of growth, plenty of work etc. Great weather, lots of beaches, places to see.

Christchurch is recovering from a major natural disaster. The CBD was flattened, the suburbs wrecked and many, many people displaced. Generally curious....I don't mean to be rude but what did you expect it was going to be like? Were you sold a picture of lots of jobs and rebuild activity? Seems a lot of Irish overseas are being painted a much rosier picture then the reality of live in Christchurch. I keep reading people here that went there with high hopes only to realize its a depressing building site with years of recovery ahead of it. For young people its not to hard to move on, but I really feel for families of tradies that moved the other side of the world to the mess that Christchurch is.

Are the recruitment companies to blame? NZ Government? Or the Irish grapevine saying "Sure there's TONS of work and craic lads!"

If possible, I would say rent a car or join a tourbus and go tour the South island to see the natural beauty that makes it so fantastic, have a bit of fun partying in Queenstown, Fox, Nelson etc, then come up to the North Island and try a job in Wellington or Auckland for a while. You've given Christchurch a shot and it hasnt worked, so there's no harm at all in giving up and moving on. That's what travelling is about, trying out new places and cultures. Both countries appeal to different folks.

Boredom when living overseas makes homesickness WAY worse, I was in a bit of a rut here a few years ago and its amazing how quickly you want to go home when things are tough. You forget all the reasons you left home in the first place. Facebook etc makes it even worse with pictures of your mates having fun. But making some serious changes made things 500% better for me here and I'm glad I stayed.

Move on mate, life is too short to be stuck somewhere you don't like, especially somewhere so smashed up by mother nature!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BabyMonkeyy

So I've decided to quit my Job and do some travelling for a week while looking for other Jobs. I think this is the best option. I've been stuck in a rut and its not good. I haven't been home in the 27 months since i have left and i think this has been part of the problem. I forgot the reason why i left home in the first place and have not been thinking properly about life here.

I do want to stay though and experience New Zealand like i have Australia and Travel around the two Islands.

I was told that the Jobs here were plentiful but i take these things with a pinch of salt really. What i didn't expect was how bad the city still is. Bit Naive i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭LadyLucinda

So I've decided to quit my Job and do some travelling for a week while looking for other Jobs. I think this is the best option. I've been stuck in a rut and its not good. I haven't been home in the 27 months since i have left and i think this has been part of the problem. I forgot the reason why i left home in the first place and have not been thinking properly about life here.

I do want to stay though and experience New Zealand like i have Australia and Travel around the two Islands.

I was told that the Jobs here were plentiful but i take these things with a pinch of salt really. What i didn't expect was how bad the city still is. Bit Naive i guess.

But you have a job? I'v a brother over there who said that its just a matter of going to a recruitment agency and pick whatever job you want to do

• Registered Users Posts: 16 carolgus33

I live in Christchurch too and experiencing some homesickness too only in the last two weeks! Ive been here almost two years and had planned to stay longer up until now - im beginning to change my mind! I just really miss the 'genuine love and security' of my family more than anything - does anyone else feel like this? i have made a few friends (and some good ones have left) since I got here but feel its not enough.... after a really long time I fianally got a wonderful job which really was the main thing I stayed here for the extended period. Im going on a holiday in 10 days which Im hoping will help me be happier here as I just love the job, the lifetstyle, the people etc but the longing for spending time at home with my family never goes away. glad to hear others feel the same even though I know its slightly different....

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭LadyLucinda

carolgus33 wrote: »
    I live in Christchurch too and experiencing some homesickness too only in the last two weeks! Ive been here almost two years and had planned to stay longer up until now - im beginning to change my mind! I just really miss the 'genuine love and security' of my family more than anything - does anyone else feel like this? i have made a few friends (and some good ones have left) since I got here but feel its not enough.... after a really long time I fianally got a wonderful job which really was the main thing I stayed here for the extended period. Im going on a holiday in 10 days which Im hoping will help me be happier here as I just love the job, the lifetstyle, the people etc but the longing for spending time at home with my family never goes away. glad to hear others feel the same even though I know its slightly different....

How much money do you need in your account to get a one year visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 rondemole

How much money do you need in your account to get a one year visa?

to get the visa, you dont need anything, but to enter the country it says the following on my visa,
    "You must have evidence of funds for your maintenance in New Zealand and if you do not have an onward or return ticket, evidence of further funds for the purchase of this ticket."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

rondemole wrote: »
    to get the visa, you dont need anything, but to enter the country it says the following on my visa,
    "You must have evidence of funds for your maintenance in New Zealand and if you do not have an onward or return ticket, evidence of further funds for the purchase of this ticket."

Ive never heard of anyone being asked to show how much they have, not that they cant or wont ask.

Few grand and you'll be fine., id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 rondemole

Ive never heard of anyone being asked to show how much they have, not that they cant or wont ask.

Few grand and you'll be fine., id say.

same as, id say you would be very unlucky to be asked,
    i remember when i went to oz the visa crowd were saying you needed to bring certified copies of bank statements and stuff, to prove you had enough funds and all, spent ages going around getting statements and stuff stamped, and was fretting cause i was a bit short of what they said you should have,
    had everything ready and in hand to show the dude on the desk, all he did was scan me passport and shouted next, didn't even look at me!

Advertisement