Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming A Stockbroker

Options
  • 01-06-2014 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Anyone know the best course to do in order to become a Stockbroker? I've heard general business but im not so sure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

My friend is in a grind school and one of his friends there wants to become a stockbroker. According to my friend, he intends to do a course called Finance in Trinity but I didn't see a course of that title in the prospectus so I'm not sure other than that.

In my opinion a financial maths course would be more beneficial than a business one but I don't really have any idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

RebelLAD1 wrote: »
    Anyone know the best course to do in order to become a Stockbroker? I've heard general business but im not so sure

Do you want to become a Stockbroker because you are very interested in analyzing markets or that it can potentially earn a lot of money?

Also, a Stockbroker is considered more of a selling role than a financial analyst.

I know many people in Shanghai, China trade stocks on the stock market as a living and they wouldnt have any Financial background......just a lot of money from inflating property.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 RebelLAD1

Both!! haha

Really? Interesting im in 6th year now and im kind of unsure as to what course to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

RebelLAD1 wrote: »
    Both!! haha

Really? Interesting im in 6th year now and im kind of unsure as to what course to do

If you want to work for a firm, you will need to take a math based course as trading is increasingly done by programs. Not people. If you want to trade privately (lots of tax incentives if you trade in ire) you should study and take an unhealthy interest in economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

In the world of Investment Banking stockbrocking is a dying profession.

Compare the jb market 5 - 10years agao and now to now there's a massive decline stockbrocking jobs and those who were stockbrockers have either upskilled to moved to different roles.

In Ireland out the top og my head there are less than 10 firms. Davy, Goodboodys, Dolmen which was sold etc. I'll have to look these up.

If you're thinking about a career in IB, a course in Finance and Economics, Financial mathematics and Economics, Maths and Economics or with Computer Science would be grand. capped by work experience.

The roles in IB/Wealth Management and Trading have changed. And Stockbrocking has gone down the Pits.

• Advertisement
Advertisement