Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lgbt carlow, gay village?!?!

Options
  • 01-06-2014 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Has anyone heard the rumours that Carlow might be turning into Irelands own gay village?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that explains the glitter everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lgbt87

theres glitter everywhere?? lol

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That it hasn't even got a single gay bar would suggest that no, it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

God, could Ireland not pick a better spot for a gay village? :o

well theres a transvestite night coming up in july and a trans makeover studio opening. i heard that they are trying to promote lgbt more.... and the temple and some hotel and some other pubs are being eyed up as gay venues.

• Advertisement

lgbt87 wrote: »
    well theres a transvestite night coming up in july and a trans makeover studio opening. i heard that they are trying to promote lgbt more.... and the temple and some hotel and some other pubs are being eyed up as gay venues.
    Sure, that is a great boost for the community if that's going on, but that hardly makes it a 'gay village', any more than Lisdoonvarna had The Outing.

well there is a lot of empty places in the town.. so if they make all the empty pubs and clubs gay and have a gay hotel it will have a pretty decent amount of the gay going on.. i dont know if there is a gay hotel in ireland??

well there is a lot of empty places in the town.. so if they make all the empty pubs and clubs gay and have a gay hotel it will have a pretty decent amount of the gay going on.. i dont know if there is a gay hotel in ireland??
    I think you might be getting ahead of yourself! Even Dublin wouldn't be able for more than 4-5 gay bars at any given time, not a big enough crowd. You think a gay hotel would survive in Carlow? Only ever seen them sustainable in the likes of Berlin due to the sheer numbers of tourists and the massive community. It's about supply and demand, as well as how comfortable people are in the area. I know here in Portlaoise there are many of us but gay men in particular are by and large, invisible, due to social stigma around this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Facepalm...

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

it depends what they are offering up entertainment wise i guess that would make people go for the weekend and stuff.. lol.. a gay hotel.. with drag queens in the residents bar etc .. like the uk has. ireland needs to make massive changes in general to catch up with the uk.. social stigma needs stamped out..i really hope it does happen.
    i think carlow is a decent place for it .. i mean when people travel to ireland to discover it they stay around that area because its only an hour to dublin and an hour to waterford so its easy to get to all the other places.. it might bring in lgbt tourists

lol that was over 10 years ago.. im sure if the trans male to female makeover studio was to be opened then it prob wouldnt of been allowed either and got the same angry oldies response.. but its going ahead 100% just like the trans nights every 2 month

To be honest... I cant see this happening. I mean why would there suddenly be a shedload of investment to open lots of gay bars and clubs?

Terry Pratchet

think maybe because carlow is one of the worst hit places by recession in ireland.... they need to do something about it and do it quick. so they are urging lgbt investors to invest in carlow

think maybe because carlow is one of the worst hit places by recession in ireland.... they need to do something about it and do it quick. so they are urging lgbt investors to invest in carlow
    Lol, LGBT investors! I think this is sounding a litle airy now...

Also, this is Carlow we're talking about, not exactly the cornerstone of gay culture!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I think you might be getting ahead of yourself! Even Dublin wouldn't be able for more than 4-5 gay bars at any given time, not a big enough crowd. You think a gay hotel would survive in Carlow? Only ever seen them sustainable in the likes of Berlin due to the sheer numbers of tourists and the massive community. It's about supply and demand, as well as how comfortable people are in the area. I know here in Portlaoise there are many of us but gay men in particular are by and large, invisible, due to social stigma around this area.

Was it you holding hands with a tall ginger guy back in February by any chance? or maybe its someone you know? At the left side back of the shopping centre near the pet store which has the Meerkat's in February these two little 10 year old scumbags started shouting homophobic slurs at two gay guys walking past and when I told them to get lost and that I was calling the guards they claimed their dads were drug dealers and could have me killed lol I just said meh more to tell the guards and they walked off. I love Portlaoise but yeah there are a lot of homophobic little ****s there.

check lgbt- capital dot com....... they are lgbt investors just did a quick search there n it came straight up. not so airy now is it lol

check lgbt- capital dot com....... they are lgbt investors just did a quick search there n it came straight up. not so airy now is it lol

And Carlow is going to be San Francisco tomorrow...

Terry Pratchet

god that would be great! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I really don't think Carlow has enough gay people in it to keep multiple bars and venues going. I'm from around there originally and most of us feck off the Dublin or the likes as soon as we can. Valley of the Twitching Windows and all that...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Carlow's not so bad but I seriously doubt it has enough of an indigenous gay population to support your wishlist though! Most of the gay lads I met there were students playing away from home. The Foundry was a good place for that, and it's not even a gay club :D

Chris___ wrote: »
    Was it you holding hands with a tall ginger guy back in February by any chance? or maybe its someone you know? At the left side back of the shopping centre near the pet store which has the Meerkat's in February these two little 10 year old scumbags started shouting homophobic slurs at two gay guys walking past and when I told them to get lost and that I was calling the guards they claimed their dads were drug dealers and could have me killed lol I just said meh more to tell the guards and they walked off. I love Portlaoise but yeah there are a lot of homophobic little ****s there.
    No, I don't know who that might have been, but that sounds like a fairly likely situation. That's the main problem here, bunch of scamps here (and believe me, they stay that way right past their teens and into adulthood) who are terrified of anyone who isn't in tracksuits and looking like a zombie and throwing insults at anything 'different'. Portlaoise in that regard feels very oppressive, and it's sad because I know people who are completely out but when in Portlaoise they'd never admit they were gay. I know gay people in retail here too who will get some seriously nasty attacks at their sexuality when things don't go right for them.

Advertisement