Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bungalow alarm system with phone

Options
  • 01-06-2014 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to get an alarm system installed in my house.

Its a small three bed one bathroom bungalow. One important feature I would like to get is intrusion notification by phone - either text or call. Can this be automated without having to pay for an ongoing contract like Eircom phone watch for example?
    I'm with UPC so when the power goes the phone line dies too (although I suppose I could put a battery backup on the router?)

What kind of system would you recommend?, not looking for anything fancy, its mainly to give my wife peace of mind when I'm not home (I work shift).

Looking to get this put in as soon as possible. Thanks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Supercell wrote: »
    I'm looking to get an alarm system installed in my house.

Its a small three bed one bathroom bungalow. One important feature I would like to get is intrusion notification by phone - either text or call. Can this be automated without having to pay for an ongoing contract like Eircom phone watch for example?
    I'm with UPC so when the power goes the phone line dies too (although I suppose I could put a battery backup on the router?)

What kind of system would you recommend?, not looking for anything fancy, its mainly to give my wife peace of mind when I'm not home (I work shift).

Looking to get this put in as soon as possible. Thanks.

Firstly get 3 written quotations from PSA licenced installers.
    If I was specifying a system for your home I would suggest shock sensors and contacts to all perimeter doors and windows and a few beams as well.
    With regard to UPC, yes you can fit a suitable UPS to it but usually if the power in the area is down so is their local distribution unit.
    Technically speaking it is not possible to transmit a text message down a UPC line, therefore it would have to be an audio message.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

kub wrote: »
    Firstly get 3 written quotations from PSA licenced installers.
    If I was specifying a system for your home I would suggest shock sensors and contacts to all perimeter doors and windows and a few beams as well.
    With regard to UPC, yes you can fit a suitable UPS to it but usually if the power in the area is down so is their local distribution unit.
    Technically speaking it is not possible to transmit a text message down a UPC line, therefore it would have to be an audio message.

Thanks Kub, I suppose two beams would make sense - front and back doors of the house. A generic voice message would be fine to if text isn't doable.

If its not against forum policy can anyone recommend someone licensed that services the Loughlinstown area in Dublin ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Recommendations by PM only please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Supercell wrote: »
    Thanks Kub, I suppose two beams would make sense - front and back doors of the house. A generic voice message would be fine to if text isn't doable.

If its not against forum policy can anyone recommend someone licensed that services the Loughlinstown area in Dublin ?

Just to confirm, it's perimeter protection with shock sensors and contacts to all external doors and windows.
    I am recommending a few beams as well because of the fact roof access also has to be considered.

Advertisement